jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Pat Robertson Impresses Again

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

Pat Robertson quoted Leviticus to attack the people who protested the homophobia spewing out of the mouth of the CEO of Chick-fil-A.  He also claimed, people protesting should have kids or shut up.  This man always offers up incisive criticism of his intellectual opponents, using fallacious reasoning and ad hominem attacks to make his point most succinctly.

Aside from the fact he quoted Leviticus to justify ANYTHING (which immediately ties one to all of the other pronouncements of Leviticus, such as a woman's menstrual cycle being unclean and her being required to leave camp for 7 days), he completely misses the point when he talks about reproduction.  It's typical of people who have no rational basis in their opposition homosexuality to claim homosexuals can't can't reproduce, and therefore get married.  Unfortunately, this ignores:

Those who are paralyzed

Infertile

Too old

Medically neutered

Where in the law does it say marriage requires one to produce children?  It doesn't...And Robertson knows his claim is nothing more than his own personal prejudices being broadcast as though they were something holy and true.  He has never signalized he is willing to codify his prejudice that marriage is ONLY about reproduction, so I can only believe that he has no care for logical consistency, and fully allows his impulses and emotions to guide him in what claims he accepts, and those he rejects, much like a child who says to their parent, "NO I DON'T WANT TO," and when asked by the parent why, the child replies, "because I just don't feel like it." 

Pat Robertson doesn't feel like engaging in critical thinking, and instead takes the intensity his feelings as arguments for/against a claim.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

He also blamed atheists for the Sikh temple shooting.

1. 0
        Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

And homosexuals and the ACLU for 9/11!

2. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Pat Robertson ranks in my book with Jesse Jackson, they are all talk and no show. How do they make their money anyway?

1. 0

People buying their books and donating to them :p.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83

Except Jessie Jackson makes more sense smile

3. adjkp25 profile image91
    adjkp25posted 4 years ago

I did a hub about him a few months ago and discovered so many weird comments from him.

1. 0

He also said that you could divorce a spouse with Alzheimers, which caused a national uproar.  He still keeps going though and making money.  It's unfortunate there is so much stupidity in America.

4. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Are He, Oral Roberts and Jack Van Impe are still alive? Wow.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Depends on your definition of "alive" methinks.
      smile

1. jacharless profile image81
        jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. 0

Pretty sure Oral Roberts died recently, but I could be wrong.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83

I think he died a couple of years ago. Edit: yes, he died in 2009

5. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

These poorly educated, self proclaimed idiots of god like Robertson, Roberts, and the list goes on which includes local pastures, are a dime a dozen. There's money into spreading BS. Just about anything that comes out of their mouths can be disproved with a few minutes of research and they want you to believe the stupidest crap. The disturbing part is the mentally lazy and gullible people out there that actually listen and donate money to these clowns.

6. Thomas Swan profile image94
    Thomas Swanposted 4 years ago

I thought hate preachers were deported. I guess it depends what kind of hate you preach.

working