jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

WHAT if there was an entire universe that existed before the Big Bang?

1. aguasilver profile image87
    aguasilverposted 4 years ago

"This is the theory of a leading Oxford University scientist who claims to have evidence of stars and galaxies that existed long before the universe as we know it formed, The Daily Mail reported.

Professor Roger Penrose says that cosmic radiation discovered by one of NASA�s telescopes is older than the Big Bang."

http://alternatenewsmedia2012.wordpress … formation/

How does this affect what you believed before you read that article?

1. 0
      Chasukposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It doesn't affect my beliefs at all. What occurred (or didn't occur) 14 billion years ago is guesswork only.

In fact, Penrose's guess --  “I claim that this aeon is one of a succession of such things, where the remote future of the previous aeons somehow becomes the Big Bang of our aeon,” is satisfyingly similar to my own.

Interesting article.

1. aguasilver profile image87
        aguasilverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I thought so also, we are definitely limited in understanding!

The concept of this being just a small cycle in history is mind boggling!

2. EmVeeT profile image80
      EmVeeTposted 4 years ago in reply to this

WHAT if there was an entire universe that existed before the Big Bang?

The idea undergirds my current beliefs. I think things are possible that would baffle the mind...

Having made that comment though...

As EmileR said, "We think we know what we think we know, where the universe is concerned...", "but (this) doesn't make anything fact"...

In the end, all we can do is make an effort to evaluate the importance of certain pieces of information, in accordance to personal influential observations and experiences, the social structure(s) surrounding us and the world system touching us (and those we love) most penetratingly.

Thanks for the link.

GOD BLESS you.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

I think I had seen this article already. Like Chasuk, it validates my suspicions. We think we know what we think we know, where the universe is concerned. It doesn't make anything fact.

3. cryptid profile image90
    cryptidposted 4 years ago

There is also a theory that there could not have been anything before the Big Bang because there was no "time" and therefore nothing could have occurred.

Theoretical astrophysics is interesting stuff, but some of those guys just seem like they're making it up as they go along.  Come up with a theory, write a paper, all of your colleagues sit around scratching their goatees and saying "Hmmm, yesss, hmm, indeed". 

This is certainly an interesting theory, and as plausible as any other I suppose.  Fascinating, but it doesn't change my beliefs, which already allow that just about anything is possible. smile

4. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 4 years ago

If you told people 200 to 300 years ago dinosaurs existed they'd think you are crazy until 1 man found fossils in Europe and then more and more were dug up around the world.

If you told people the earth was round 800 years ago, they'd think you are crazy.

If you told people that there are extra-terrestrial beings in the year 1980, they think you are crazy or flash a smirking smile.

Now other galaxies and universes do not exist either. C'mon people open up your mind to the possibility instead of restricting your beliefs.

Sources: Archaeologists and Astronomers

5. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

The theory of a series of expansions and contractions is as plausible as the other theories out there. I, for one, plan to be gone when that next contraction occurs...

6. HowardBThiname profile image90
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

The great thing about science is that the goal line moves every time we discover new evidence. The scientific theory consists of examining the observable facts and then formulating a conclusion, or "theory," based on those facts. When new facts emerge, theories change.

That doesn't make early theories less valuable. Without them, our scientists would not be in the position they are today to discover new things.