jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)

1. Virtuous1 profile image60
    Virtuous1posted 4 years ago

When it comes to healing many people have many questions. They ask why did God not heal me? Why is God allowing me to go through the pain and suffering? Let's go through the scriptures to add some light on this shall we?

Be blessed...as you listen to this....

1. BobMonger profile image60
      BobMongerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately death and suffering are part of life. God has never promised there would be neither if you believed in Him; the life of Jesus and His apostles  are testament  to that!  But when those difficult times do come we have our faith to see us through to whatever end the good Lord has in store for us. Sorry I couldn't listen in, but I'm speaker poor at the moment. I can only tell of what I know.

2. Jonathan Janco profile image82
    Jonathan Jancoposted 4 years ago

I believe that God does not intervene in physical affairs. I believe God knows we have the capability to heal ourselves.

3. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

Healing is often misunderstood/misrepresented in its approach.
    Generally speaking, most attempt healing based on "power quoting" the written text, which yields nothing. Next, healing is attempting by the "power of positive thinking", which of late is the most active attempt, which also leads to nothing. Third, healing is attempted by the "stationary miraculous" meaning people wait for a massive miracle, which can happen, but is extremely over hyped. This particular one is seen greatly within the Evangelical and/or Full Gospel ministries and is, more than not, the focal point of the ministry itself, especially the take of "demonic casting" or "demonic healing" which is realistically a mental, emotional or spiritual ailment and not the doings of a third party proxy.

However, healing, if viewed correctly is what? It is a practical application. An acceptance of a state of physical, mental and spiritual being that reflect who the human being is, how they are designed and the end result of that application: immortality. Despite the belief of "death and suffering" are the norm, the expected, many, many times this very idea was debunked by Moshiach, the Twelve and others.

If you would consider this for a moment:
    In the Sophia {Wisdom} of Moshiach, paraphrased, he states the following to a question asked by several of the Twelve regarding sickness and death. "The reason you become afflicted {sick, ill, worried} and die is because you believe still in sin. It is the belief in good-evil that keeps you from [experiencing] the Fathers will, which you see in me. Any who believes in sin will sin. It is sin that gave birth to death and the law, with all its parts."

It stands to reason, then, our perspective of our own lives is what keeps sickness away or brings sickness and death on us. It is not a lack of faith, it is a lack of practical application of faith. Two very different things indeed. The former resembles the Third Mention, of "stationary miracle" or even a blending of sensational and scientific approach {prayer and medication}.

Personal experience: I have never accepted sickness -not even common colds. In nearly thirty years have had no sickness, no broken bones, no diseases -barely even a sniffle. Luck? Good Genes? Healthy Diet?  No, No, and Maybe. I have always eaten healthy, which is just a natural reinforcement to a natural state of being in complete health.

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Top answer.

I decided when I was five that I don't get ill. Since then I have only suffered the odd cold and very mild chicken pox and German Measels. I just dont get ill unless I drink to much when out on the town with the lads.

I pondered for years why 'God didn't answer prayers for healing' until finally it dawned on me that Jesus told the disciples that THEY would do the things he did and greater things. So what is the believer waiting on? A miraculous sign from God, a pseudo babble anointing, a quivery 'HS' feeling that tickles our emotions? No the believer should just get on with it. The Church loves to making healing out to be some special gift that only special God chasers have, and they turn people into superstars.

My wife annoys me because when she is in pain, she accepts it as her lot in life instead of simply asking me to heal her. On the rare occasions when she does, the pain goes away.

1. jacharless profile image81
        jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

you and I are definitely cut of the same clothe. smile

Thanks James, that's a real compliment. smile

1. 0
            Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You guys are probably my favorite posters on this forum, but I get a little uncomfortable reading things like this conversation.

I'm healthier than anyone I know, but I don't equate it to a close relationship with a higher power. I am simply luckier than some on some levels, have a different attitude toward the way to approach preventative actions and other ideas that may or may not contribute to my overall health.

I am leery of a belief in 'choosing to work tiny miracles' (for lack of a better term) since it can cause others to believe they are doing something wrong when they suffer illness.

And the claim of healing spouses?  I don't know. It sounds a little far fetched. Outside of the bounds of the believable. I'm not attempting to be rude here, but do you guys have any evidence?  Because we woud all like to hone up our healing powers; or get some help from people who truly possessed such powers when medical science fell short. (help with the common cold comes to mind)

*blush* Thanks Emile. And certainly, I respect uncomfortable.
              Well, I personally have never been a believer in luck. Everything happens for a reason. True, I equate my existence to Creator and therefore the attributes given to me -and every human- regarding that existence, be it health, intellect, emotion, humor, etc.
              In this regard, many, many people of intense or fleeting belief tend to say the same: "God" wanted me to suffer so He can heal me to prove his love." To me that is the biggest and most dangerous element of beliefs in general. It is nearly inconceivable to many that they should live a completely health life, have no pains, sicknesses or worries. In my own life have seen it first hand with parents, spouse, friends and more. When I put their belief in these "justified afflictions" to the test, everyone came back the same: "God did not heal me because a) It was not His desire. b) They did not have enough faith." Both instances are completely false.

Looking at the perfectness of the human being, body brain and spirit, it is inconceivable to me that humans should be suffering even a drop, with any sort of ailment in body, brain, spirit. So, with this mentality it occurred to me that healing was an instant, natural ability given to humans on both a small and grand scale. Simple evidence: a cut, a broken bone, a cold -all healed by a simple process by the body. So then, the human body was naturally designed to repair itself. In that case, it should be able to do so, naturally, with much larger situations. Again, humans being genetically programmed to repair the body. With the believing issue, comes a troublesome concept: selfishness v lack of faith. The assumption that a person cannot be healed without "divine intervention" aka "stationary miracle". When if fact, that intervention -that miracle- is that genesis put into them from day one and the reassurance that acting in accordance with that genetic ability yields healing.

I think you are well aware of my position regarding the human being and what each was designed to be. A powerful, eternal entity having no lack of anything. And due to a forgetfulness, humans have diluted themselves to a place no greater than the position of a flea, among the great and small, presenting themselves as inferior, inept, false-humility, in the hope of reaching a greater position, when if fact their position is rightfully at the head of the "natural table".  As such, ceremony begins and people seek out sign, wonders, miracles -be it by divine or by science- to cure whatever ails them, from common colds to xenophobia.
              .lol. It does indeed. It is outside the bounds of belief, which is what makes it so amazing, so pure -if that word applies.
              Yes, have evidence, will travel.
              In my view, honing up these skills is critical -yes- but in the same token, given what science is -an external observation and methodology, would not say they have fallen short, only that they are limited by the approach used {as all religion, science included, is limited by its approach}. They can dissect every part of the process of the human body and to some degree replicate regeneration but at the end of the day, as medicine says, the body has to do the work. 90% of medicines are actually rejected by the body and often fake-medicine is used in testing. Which means the body, mind and spirit ultimately make the decision to accept the healing. Same as doctrinal approach of textual quoting, excessive/repetitive prayer/evoking, etc etc. These are external things the body, mind and spirit must either accept or reject. Equally, 90% of typical theistic approach is also rejected by the body. The coincidence is beyond surreal.

Short story: I met my spouse amid the normal chaos of Manhattan living. A happy, bouncy, sarcastically wonderful Russian woman -no mail order included. She is as agnostic as agnostic can be. Believes "generally" in Creator but no doctrine or anything (and argues with me why I say there is no such thing as a god). Does not know a single word from the Bible, Torah, Quran, Vedas, Sumerian Cuneiform, etc. Where she grew up, it was forbidden legally and considered a silly endeavor, socially. What she does know is she loves life.

We happened on a date up the mountain, far away from civilization, medicine, even phone service. Overlooking forever, I noticed she was fidgeting a bit and holding her stomach, but playing tough as to not ruin the mood. About twenty minutes into lunch she just doubled over and I could visibly see the pain in her face. She brushed it off as a stomach cramp, even when I suggested we go and get her some help. After an agonizing (and frustrating) hour, did what I knew best. Simply asked her to lay down and relax, smiled and held my hand a few inches off her stomach, when wham! she bolted upright with wide eyes.

She describes a strange/unknown flow of energy enter her torso and spread throughout her body. The pain was gone, she felt refreshed, alert, inspired -as she put it- happy. To this day she keeps asking me how I did that with my "paw". She, like myself, does not believe in magic, typical theistic concepts or guru, shaman, voo-doo woo-doo. No special prayers, chants, etc required. What she believed was it was possible and allowed that possible to happen. No reservations, conditions, restrictions or expectations. My mind calls what she did practical faith. She has also known I never get sick -even when she is laid out with an annual flu -like clockwork you can time it. Same as with my son getting two severe fever colds this year and in hours after being given the same prescription with no effect, doing what I know best. Every time we have the conversation, it comes back to the "how-to" question. My answer is always the same: it is as natural to you as breathing. If you say or do things in alignment with that nature order, the process works undetected in you. Aging slows, body strong, mind alter, sharp and spirit full of ineffable possibility. Everyone has the ability. Some have honed or been boosted with this ability throughout history to simply show humans what they are capable of.

It still baffles my logical mind but is evidential, to a fault. It is something, Again, inherent to our nature yet completely beyond the scope of belief, rationale/reason. As an old friend tells me: it is perfectly Logical and completely un-Reasonable. And to me, that is just fine. Somewhere inside I understand it, as I think we all do. It is simply a matter of allowing that instance to happen without the association, labels, rules and such interjected.

Very interesting read James that makes a lot of sense. Religion has us believe we are lower than worms, useless filthy sinners only good for the fires of hell. But from what I understand God/ Creator made us so much more, and even if we accept a literal Genesis, there's nothing there to tell me that man lost anything from his original state. Sure toil and graft was his lot and a shortened lifespan, but that was all due to environment.

With regards to Emile's post on healing spouses, the Godpels state over and over that it was individual people's faith that made them well. No religion, no preconditions, no ceremony required. It was within them that the power was to heal or a response from Messiah when they came to him. So with my wife I simply place my hands on the area that is causing pain and 'command' the healing and 'bless' her immune system. We've seen real positive results. We are starting small, but little steps build faith. I'm expecting a kind of snowball effect.

Absolutely in agreement.
                  Sidebar, if you do not mind and would permit it, would like to offer up a meditation for you both. Will not be even remotely offended if you say no. And thoroughly respect what you are doing and stand beside you both, as you prepare for the snowball effect big_smile

No problem James. smile

4. princessoffire profile image61
    princessoffireposted 4 years ago

I read a saying one time and it made sense to me. I too suffer from debilitating pain. But the saying was something as this "God allows us to hurt to keep us closer to him." I think it is true, so He can strengthen us as His children, for when He needs to use us. He makes a promise to never let our burdens be too great. But as with the receiving of good things, we must first work hard.

This, my good princess, is one of the most dangerously accepted ideas. Humans have been conditioned to "labor" or "suffer" hardship, delay, pain, trouble to understand who they are. Granted in the past, good-evil; health-sickness; etc existed by effect. This, however, was not the original way. That Way has not changed in all eternity. It never will.What humans assume is labor and suffering brings on their own heads those tribulations.

There is no where and nothing that mandates, from Creator, human suffering or laboring to be In Him, to walk with Him, as it was in the beginning. Therefore, it is our own ha-satan, our own thinking of right-wrong; good-evil, that denies the very thing most desire. Especially when it comes to affliction. 

They say suffering produces persistence which produces character which leads to hope. But that suffering, that labor, mentioned in this is simply that suffering which occurs by planting a single seed. The persistence to see that faith through from that first image to harvest. The character is seen in the growth of the harvest -the joy, the very fragrance --scent of that growth, until the harvest comes and the fruit of that simple labor, that simple suffering, revealed in abundance above and beyond necessity. It is not the suffering of anguish or pain, it is a suffering of joy....

As you mentioned, the burden is not to be great, it is to be light. Light is weightless. So anything we hold fast to that puts even a measurable degree of weightiness on us is not correct, is in opposition to that Way, that Truth, that [immortal] Life.

5. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 4 years ago

I wish believers would just call it like it is sometimes. Assuming God was real then God = created a whole world but choses not to take care of those in it! That simple. Believers can make up any excuse in the world for this but there is no way that if a God could create a whole world he couldn't keep his creations healthy and happy.

1. Claims-Advice profile image59
      Claims-Adviceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's the problem, we can only look at it in a 3-dimensional human context. There might be more. I've certainly learned a lot by going through hard times.

6. Claims-Advice profile image59
    Claims-Adviceposted 4 years ago

There is a Buddha quote that I like which is something to the effect of "the secret to happiness is to rejoice in the suffering of life".

I think that's pretty pertinent here.

7. kess profile image60
    kessposted 4 years ago

What's the point of health to those who die?
    The point of sickness is death, to those who die.
    The point of health is death, to those who die

What's the point of sickness to those who Live?
    The point of heath is Life to those who Live.
    The point of sickness is Life to those who Live.

Health is the realisation  of Life to those who Live and do not die.
    Sickness is the realisation of perfect health to those who Live and do not die.

So all sickness is nullified when Life is realised and death is no more.
    Thus I am never sick but always perfecting Health.

I am Life.
    And Life because I have seen it 
    In both sickness and health
    in Both Life and death.

Have you?