jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (18 posts)

To what extent can we really influence our destiny?

1. Quirinus profile image72
    Quirinusposted 4 years ago

Assuming that our own soul (equated with our _unconscious_ by CGJung) decides on the details of our earthly life circumstances (e.g. your race, eye/skin/hair color, the house where we live, the choices that we make, e.g. what color of shirt to wear today, etc.) before we were even born into the world, do you believe we can still _consciously_ determine our own destiny? To what extent and how? Examples would be helpful. Thanks.

1. youcanwin profile image40
      youcanwinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As per the visions of saints, it is evident that we can secure our destiny, if, only if, we give attention to Gospel.  Let me share  an excerpt from the book  "A Divine Revelation of Hell"  Hear the eyewitness testimony on
      the True Existence of Hell. by Mary Katherine Baxter:

We came to the next pit. Inside this pit, which was the same size as the other one, was another skeleton form. A man's voice cried from the pit, saying, "Lord, have mercy on me!"

Only when they spoke could I tell whether the soul was a man or woman.
      Great wailing sobs came from this man. "I'm so sorry, Jesus. Forgive me. Take me out of here. I have been in this place of torment for years. I beg You, let me out!" Great sobs shook his skeletal frame as he begged, "Please, Jesus, let me out!"

I looked at Jesus and saw that He too was crying. "Lord Jesus," the man cried out from the burning pit, "haven't I suffered enough for my sins?
      It has been forty years since my death." Jesus said, "It is written, The just shall live by faith!' All mockers and unbelievers shall have their part in the lake of fire. You would not believe the truth. Many times My people were
      sent to you to show you the way, but you would not listen to them. You laughed at them and refused the gospel. Even though I died on a cross for you, you mocked Me and would not repent of your sins. My Father gave you many opportunities to be saved. If only you had listened!" Jesus wept.

"I know, Lord, I know!" the man cried. "But I repent now."
      "It is too late," said Jesus. "Judgment is set."

The man continued, "Lord, some of my people are coming here, for they also will not repent. Please, Lord, let me go tell them that they must repent of their sins while they are still on earth. I do not want them to come here."

Jesus said, "They have preachers, teachers, elders-all ministering the gospel. They will tell them. They also have the advantages of the modern communications systems and many other ways to learn of Me. I sent workers to them that they might believe and be saved. If they will not believe when they hear the gospel, neither will they be persuaded though one rises from the dead."

(you may download  the full ebook free of cost by googleing )
      It shows how we can secure our destiny.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Those are some interesting assumptions. I couldn't even begin to think along those lines. What would lead you to believe that your subconscious, prior to birth, would know the details of its future life down to the choice of shirt color?

Quirinusposted 4 years ago in reply to this

These ideas are just an off-shoot of those presented in the book "Touched by the Light" and not necessarily what was presented in the said book.  If one can imagine that soul is beyond space and time, one can also entertain the concept that past, present and future happen all at the same time at the Soul level, but our awareness/consciousness is only aware of one moment at a time.  It may take an entire hub to present linkages between these ideas, but I have a feeling they all refer to one and the same phenomena, that of the soul's timelessness.

3. kess profile image61
      kessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The concept within which the question comes is the cause of the problem and not the question itself.

The concept present destiny and the individual with multiple faces, thus the possibility of the individuL having the  a choice of destinies, or destiny having a choice of individuals.

Now the individual has lost himself in indecision, doubting what he has done and what he is presently doing  and what he is about to do.
      His Today is become as hell ... Persistently striving, never achieving...never finding rest nor peace...

That man has forgotten that destiny is singular just as he is singular and he and his destiny can never be separate. For where ever he is so is destiny, and where ever destiny is so is he.

If this man would remember then...

This man would have found his Today in which he pesistently rest is full assurance that destiny is fulfilled in him.

That man has become Life and peace.

1. Claims-Advice profile image60
        Claims-Adviceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe it goes something along the lines of...

We have a destiny, perhaps a path to walk, the major important parts may be pre-determined, while smaller parts such as shirt colours are us expressing ourselves along the way.

The point in life is to experience and grow and learn, through thick and thin, good and bad.

In the meantime, our destiny is somewhere in there and it's up to us to learn the lessons and have a chance to fulfil it some how if we are able to overcome the biggest obstacle. Which is, of course, ourself.

Remember that it's important to think of experience, self expression and destiny and karma outside of the box. Maybe we're spiritual beings having a human experience and we'll grow one lifetime to the next. Maybe we'll get it next time around? Certainly a lot of holy men and Yogis believe this to be true. From my research and experiences, I'm inclined to agree with them.

Just my opinion.

1. kess profile image61

There is nothing a man could do to escape his destiny... thats where he finds his rest.

Hopefully there's a little more to a person's destiny than death, but who knows for sure? My fingers are crossed smile

1. kess profile image61

Men percieves their destiny as death because they have not found the rest necessary to escape...

Where he finds rest there he also finds Life.

Excellent. I'm glad somebody knows all of the answers, as many of the smartest people in the world are still debating this one. You should let them know you've got it figured out smile

1. kess profile image61

That is the beauty of rest... a man need not do anything.
                  Yet each is the fulfillment of his destiny...

For if I speak many  still will not hear.. but yet in my silence many shall hear.

For when I  Speak I am at rest.
                  and when I speak not I am still at rest.

For in surrender or when we rest or allow things to be just as they are,
                    we let destiny fulfill itself through us.

For when we rest or surrender,
                    we become aware of the gifts of the present moment, that destiny is offering at our feet..

2. Quirinus profile image72

Eckhart Tolle in his book "The Power of Now" says that more people are becoming more conscious/fully aware or are able to stay in the present moment, and better able to enjoy its fruits of joy, love and peace.  The more we are able to be at peace with exactly who we are at each present moment, the more we become at peace with each other.  And the more room we make for peace in our communities and in the world.

Yes, I'm a fan of this book. It's sitting on the bookshelf behind me. If you're to these concepts, you'd probably get a kick out of the following short science documentary, the section part in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o

You've raised up very important points in your discussion.. Indeed destiny flows along with us and vis-a-vis.  Indeed the point in life is to experience and grow and learn ...  That is probably what makes life so interesting.  There's so much to learn!

Indeed we need to think/talk about destiny outside the context of linear, logical thinking that sees events only in a 3D perspective.  Because destiny goes beyond finite space and time.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom.

So true.  When one has discovered the fullness of every present moment, then one would have found everything one needs---joy, love and peace, fulfilling one's destiny with destiny mutually fulfilling him.

2. Hendrika profile image73
    Hendrikaposted 4 years ago

I think you can do a lot about your destiny. We have been created with a free will and we can use it for our good or our detriment.

working