jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Islam under attack

1. marwan asmar profile image79
    marwan asmarposted 4 years ago

Freedom of expression maybe fair but with the recent anti-Prophet film and the cartoons against Islam in France, isn't it more than a coincidence to believe this is normal happenings and Islam is really under attack?

1. Hummingbird5356 profile image80
      Hummingbird5356posted 4 years ago in reply to this

It could be.  Also, it appears that the film flopped at the cinema under its original title.  It is bad acting and filming.  Then the film maker dubbed it with anti-Islamic script and put it out. 
      He also called himself an Israeli Jew when he is a Christian, so you could say he is expressing hatred of the Jews as well as of the Muslims. It is obvious that there would be anti-Jewish demonstrations too.

2. twosheds1 profile image61
      twosheds1posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I personally would like to see ALL religion under attack, but that's just me. I don't think Islam is under attack. A few jerks just wanted to stir things up. I think the French cartoons were published to ride on the coattails of the unrest over the movie. Muslims seem to do a pretty good job of attacking each other, frankly.

But this brings up a couple of points: Just what exactly do the rioters hope to accomplish? People have gotten killed during the protests (and not just the Americans in Libya). Is that what they wanted? I doubt it. My second point is that the rioters are reinforcing western stereotypes of Muslims. We all think they'll freak out at the slightest insult, and this has given us no reason to doubt them.

In general, though, I think it's most Christian extremists, such as the Quran-burner in Floridia, who are trying to stir things up. My neighbor across the street has a homemade sign in the back of his van saying Islam is false, Allah is a false god, etc. He's just a kook religious fanatic, nothing more.

Most people just don't care.

3. 0
      Rad Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Under attack? Pakistan's Railways Minister has offered a $100,000 reward for the death of the person who made a controversial film. Who is under attack? Is it legal to put a bounty on someone's head?

4. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There's nothing wrong with attacking ideologies, especially bad ones, it's the attacking of people themselves that is the problem. You can attack ideologies all you want and never need to resort to violence.

5. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm pretty sure that you are attempting to get a rise out non Islamic trout here!  sad

For me... irrespective of whatever belief a party has... it is very sad to see them slapping a flag with a sandal!  Unbelievable!!  big_smile   If you did that in my country you would get thrown to the sheep! sad

Clearly there are vast degrees of difference in intelligence at stake here, over and above any justification given for flag slapping and wholesale rock throwing!  I feel a lot of people need to get into some sort of hobby that resembles a real life! sad

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

Is Islam under attack any more than anything else is under attack when someone speaks out against it? I haven't seen the recent film, nor do I want to. But,  therein lies the point. If I know something is offensive, I avoid it. If I allow my sensibilities to be offended, whose fault is that? If I react, whose fault is that?

I'll say the same thing I say to the Christians. If God exists he doesn't need to be defended. If Mohammed is on some other plane, watching, he doesn't need defending. If it matters to anyone on a higher plane couldn't they take care of it themselves? You can't attack something that doesn't exist in the physical world. What harm is done by the 'offense'? Those reacting are the guilty parties and should take responsibility and should not be pandered to by making excuses that they are defending anything but their own pride.

1. aka-dj profile image80
      aka-djposted 4 years ago in reply to this

3. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 4 years ago

Insulting words is not the same as violent actions. When 'the life of brian' came out christians were upset and insulted by it, and were likely made fun of for being offended but it didn't escalate and christians didn't resort to violent protests, can't help but think that by responding with violence the door has been opened for more insults from those who have no sympathy for this level of sensitivity. Insult me and I will insult you back and if I responded with violence I would expect to be held as being wrong, words should only be meet with more words not violence.

1. aka-dj profile image80
      aka-djposted 4 years ago in reply to this

4. HowardBThiname profile image90
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

Until Islam cleans up the violence by its members - I'd hazard a guess that the blasphemy attacks will continue - and escalate.