jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Heaven Is Real: A Doctor's Experience Of The Afterlife

1. pisean282311 profile image60
    pisean282311posted 4 years ago

A successful neurosurgeon, who has taught at Harvard Medical School and other universities, spent his life dismissing claims of heavenly out-of-body experiences and refuting such talk with scientific logic, until he himself had a near-death experience.

During that time, Dr. Eben Alexander says he saw heaven and knows the afterlife exists. Now he's telling the world in his new book, "Proof of Heaven."

Alexander's tale is the cover story on Newsweek's latest issue, which features the headline, "Heaven Is Real: A Doctor's Experience Of The Afterlife." Alexander, a Christian, claims he took the journey to the afterlife when he slipped into a coma in 2008 after contracting a very rare bacterial meningitis.

what r ur views on above?

1. 0
      jomineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Was a real doctor?
      If he had a scientific mind, and if he was a neurosurgeon, he should know better. He should know that the brain can show us things which never exist. Infections and hypoxia can stimulate the brain to imagine things and when the brain see things we cannot differentiate it from reality and we tend to believe it as real.
      And if the incident is real, he is one of the worst kinds who thinks their own experience matters above anyone else.

1. pisean282311 profile image60
        pisean282311posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Eben Alexander, Harvard Neurosurgeon, Describes Heaven After Near-Death Experience

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/0 … lp00000003

1. 0

A surgeon who didn't take other people's experience seriously, but when he had the same, took it more seriously than it ought to be, what credibility should he have? Why his experience should be given any priority over the others? Just because he experienced, does that make it objective?
          Whatever the brain show us, we take it as reality. But the brain can be easily fooled, that is the only lesson, if at all there is any lesson, from episodes like this.
          And I wonder what he would have said if he had 'alien hand syndrome', that satan is real and can manipulate people?

2. aka-dj profile image79
        aka-djposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I guess we'll have to take your opinion as worthy of greater credibility, and dismiss his experience, and all his qualifications in the field as just mere delusion, and brain disfunction.

Did you say you read his book? I must have missed that detail. hmm

1. 0

Even a fool should know that subjective experience has no value when objective assessment is needed.
          And it was fortunate that he didn't saw himself sleeping with Angelina, if so people would be vying with each other to get meningitis! roll

2. W Vidal profile image60
    W Vidalposted 4 years ago

Bruce Lipton ' The Power Of Consciousness'

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I read the account and found it fascinating - especially since the doctor's cortex was completely non-functioning at the time.

1. 0

It appears it is not functioning even now.

1. Sonneborn profile image60
        Sonnebornposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So, if it was non-functioning at the time, we can give his interpretation of the event zero credibility. As a neurosurgeon, Alexander completely ignores the effects of a coma.

4. ocbill profile image75
    ocbillposted 4 years ago

People believe a lot of things they have never seen. Why not this if they believe in God?

1. 0
      Sarra Garrettposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I concur.  Everyone has the right to believe in what they have experienced is true.  None of us know what it is like to die (yet) and I certainly don't know anyone coming back from the dead to tell me about it.  If you believe in God you believe in Heaven and Hell.  So who's to say he didn't have this Heavenly experience?