jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

What is wrong with blood transfusion?

1. davidkaluge profile image73
    davidkalugeposted 4 years ago

I know that some Christians (Jehovah's Witness) do not allow blood transfusion and they claim it is based on religious reason. Does it mean that others are sinners for disobeying God's instruction?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If you think the blood is the life/soul and it is therefore forbidden by God to consume it, yes.

If not, no.

2. AndReall profile image59
      AndReallposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Depends on perspectives. You may need to listen to a Nazi official as well.

3. C-ing Eye profile image61
      C-ing Eyeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As long as they don't deny me one, I'm cool with it.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

JW tell me that the Bible says don't consume blood, so a transfusion is consumption.

It doesn't matter. You could refuse a blood transfusion and still be lost as far as they are concerned. 'If you aren't with me, you are against me' is their unwritten motto.

1. C-ing Eye profile image61
      C-ing Eyeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They make good neighbors.

I bet you do to. I have been thinking of you. I have a present. I will bring it next time I find my way to an internet connection. Judging by your hubs, you will like it. It is very rare.

3. andyoz profile image84
    andyozposted 4 years ago

Interestingly bloodless surgery is now seen as the best option when it comes to surgery.  The fact is people recover faster and live longer when they have surgery without blood.  Blood can often complicate things and slow down recovery times and often even make things worse. Doctors are just not keen on giving it as it's far more expensive.  But with the advances in medical science in the past few years more and more doctors are realising it's the way to go.

My dad has a triple heart bypass last year.  He didn't have a drop of blood.  Out of the six others men on his ward, he recovered the fastest depsite being the second oldest.

4. Disappearinghead profile image89
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

It seems completely irrational to me. Where the Israelites were commanded not to eat animals with the life blood in them, wasn't this supposed to mean don't eat them whilst they are still alive, not a ban on eating blood per se? Besides which, even if the ban on eating blood is a valid one, how does this translate to the forbidding of blood transfusions? Seems to me this is yet another case of strict adherence to the letter of a law with no understanding of what that law was for. The spirit of the law would not ban blood transfusions that save countless lives.

5. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 3 years ago

I was told recently by a JW that blood (and other biological materials left over from life) must not be tampered with or used for transfusions, etc partly for genetic reasons and also because they believe that left-over blood, skin, flesh, etc somehow gets broken down and recycled to form biological matter for hosting new life when it comes into this world.  In the case of 'genetics' he said that although the blood used in a transfusion may be good there could be underlying genetic problems that may not necessarily affect that person but the genes could be passed on to the children of the person who had the transfusion (ie hereditary).

1. Disappearinghead profile image89
      Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So not a belief based on evidence or balanced study then?

2. recommend1 profile image71
      recommend1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Maybe that is why there  are so many religous dimwits - they have been genetically modified by blood transfusions !! 

However, It will be a bit of a bummer if it turns out the JW are right big_smile

6. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 3 years ago

Certainly not based on scientific evidence anyway.