jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Has Sandy Changed Your God?

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago

Honesty time here. Probably about half of America prayed for God to avert Hurricane Sandy, or asked God to protect lives, homes and property. However, we woke up to a world where Sandy was not averted, where damage will cost the tax payer billions of dollars, and many lives have been lost.

So has your concept of God changed or are you searching for some explanation for all the failed prayers?

Is it only a matter of time before the following sayings come out?
    - This is proof of his non-existence.
    - This is proof that He is aloof from the affairs of humanity.
    - This is proof that God is sending judgement upon America.
    - This is proof we are in the End Times.
    - Oh how wonderful, because if it wasn't for our prayers hundreds would have been killed and the damage would have been orders of magnitude greater.

For me none of these work. The truth is in this life we should expect trouble. The rain falls on the righteous and the wicked and so does disaster. The important thing is what we as individuals do when disaster strikes our lives and the lives of those around us.

1. ElSeductor profile image60
      ElSeductorposted 3 years ago in reply to this

God is too busy to worry about storms.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Reading the thread below, we find believers there standing on soap boxes preaching the gospel and praising God as they take full advantage of those who died or suffered loss.

2. eternals3ptember profile image60
    eternals3ptemberposted 3 years ago

When good things happen God is good, when bad thing happen he's mysterious.

Maybe he wouldn't be so pissed if we stopped wearing mixed fibers?

3. gregb4hope profile image74
    gregb4hopeposted 3 years ago

Insurance companies may call it an act of God. People may feel abandoned by the God they had faith in. Some people may curse God for whom they did not believe in the first place.  Others may consider it a sign of the endtimes as your post introduction suggest.  I believe from a christian point of view of which I place my faith in that blaming God for good reasons or bad reasons is all misguided missiles at the Creator. While God certainly can do these things and be " right" for why it was done because we all live by grace not by our goodness or works, biblically speaking that is.  God identifies an enemy to man from the very beginning...Satan. He comes to kill...steal and destroy! God actually protects us from him but as we distance ourselves from God and His Laws according to scripture, perhaps God removes such protection due to our lack of or misguided belief in Him. This empowers the devil! Think about our hearts and think about our democracy and what it permits. 

The continued trend of "extreme weather" and the continued trend of "extreme human behavior" in our democratic society is telling us something many are defiant against believing and that's sin.  Does it exist or does it not? Has Hurricane Sandy changed my God? No it hasn't! I am not a believer in God based on his goodness, I am a believer based on the truths of the Bible despite the good or bad things that happen in my life. I don't use tragedy to believe neither to disbelieve and even scripture declares christians can suffer in this world system.  One thing that Sandy may bring out is who we really are in our faith toward Christ for those who call themselves christians...that's for sure as your question searches the hearts!