jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Big Bang Theory Busted By 33 Top Scientists

1. Ultimater profile image61
    Ultimaterposted 4 years ago

A global group of 33 leading physicists have rejected the crank theory of big bang. They have published an open letter in New Scientist, May 22-28 issue, 2004, p. 20, to let the scientific community know that the spirit of truth and objectivity is still alive in science.

Here is the link to the letter that they published- 

http://www.holoscience.com/wp/an-open-l … sed-minds/

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here is the original article. The excerpt says nothing about 33 leading scientists. 

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 … -bang.html

The part of the letter that isn't accessible online except on various creationism web sites has been pasted from this book

http://books.google.ca/books?id=EvN9Gfb … CE0Q6AEwBw

This is a book called Dismantling the Big Bang Theory: God's Universe Rediscovered
      written by Dr. John Hartnett and Alexander Williams.

Ultimaterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, it does say. At the end of the letter, one can find the signatures of 33 leading physicists.

You completely misunderstood the content of that book. The writers were merely quoting the original letter published by those scientists.

They did not say they were quoting from any letter.  So, maybe they are plagiarists?

If I could read the whole letter myself I might believe it. If it were true, it would have been published in sites other than ones promoting creationism.

1) "They did not say they were quoting from any letter.  So, maybe they are plagiarists?"

They mention their source properly. It's just that those pages are excluded from the reader (check the link again).

2) "If I could read the whole letter myself I might believe it. If it were true, it would have been published in sites other than ones promoting creationism."

That letter has been republished to many websites dealing with science and technology. Obviously you didn't find them. If you don't trust them, then just read the synopsis of that letter published in New Scientist.

I did. It says some are questioning it... That is a far cry from denying it.

That depends upon interpretation. They think that big bang is standing on the power of money. I don't think that equals to questioning the theory. They just deny the method of validity.

Apart from that, they are obviously denying it. Otherwise they wouldn't have signed that letter.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL. It's amazing there are still folks that follow Halton Arp's crank theories even though they were thoroughly debunked years ago.

Very old news.

2. Ultimater profile image61
    Ultimaterposted 4 years ago

Here is the synopsis of that letter which had been published under the name of scientists Eric Lerner, and subsequently signed by himself and his colleagues.

"1.  Bucking the big bang

Our ideas about the history of the universe are dominated by big bang theory. But its dominance rests more on funding decisions than on the scientific method, according to Eric Lerner and dozens of other scientists."

http://www.newscientist.com/search?rbau … ric+Lerner

working