jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Good Deeds

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

What are some good deeds that you have witnessed, done yourself, or had done to you?
    It's so easy to focus on the negative, but I think it is so incredibly important to remember that there is beauty in the world and good people are surrounding you.

1. Nursey profile image59
      Nurseyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hubby bought my mom and dad a house. Both have passed on now, but it was a beautiful thing to do. A good deed.

1. ThompsonPen profile image83
        ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wow! That is a beautiful thing to do! Well done Hubby!

2. Dame Scribe profile image59
    Dame Scribeposted 3 years ago

I'm spending another year and holidays through emails with a mil unit smile they're awesome!

3. 60
    cajunsnakeposted 3 years ago

Well, I guess I don't consider it a good deed, or whatever, I'm one of those people who HATE abusers...of any kind.  Nice thing is I've got the size and attitude to intimidate the abuser...or take it to the next level.  I do it a sister I lost to domictic violence, and I wasn't there to protect her.  Made her a promise that I'd wade into it, whenever I see it.  Guess I do it...just because.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 3 years ago

My daughters and I are buying new toys and clothes for needy kids. We'll all visit a local nursing home on Christmas Eve and pass out candy. People have been kind to me, so I feel the need to pay it forward.

My husband and I have been members of a local club for years, and the yearly dues aren't exactly cheap. Several years ago, we were having a lot of medical bills because my youngest daughter had a tumor near her brain and had to go to Emory for surgery. We weren't sure we could afford the luxury of belonging to the club - the dues were due at the time of the surgery. A guy from the club called us and told us our dues had been taken care of!

When my dad died, I was amazed at the kindness of the community. My mother was still alive, and people knew she'd be lost without Dad - they'd been married for 60 years. Lots of folks worked to get Mom out of the house to go to different functions and places.

5. Ericdierker profile image81
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

I was adopted.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
      Mighty Momposted 3 years ago in reply to this

6. CrisSp profile image84
    CrisSpposted 3 years ago

Paying for a loaf of bread for some random woman at the grocery store who doesn't have sufficient coins to pay for it.

7. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 3 years ago

A very complicated special needs daughter for whom survival is a challenge, gracing us with her love for 20+ years now against all odds and still going strong.

8. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

Great thread topic.
    I do a lot of service on a regular basis. I don't consider that "good deeds" though.

But I actually did one just today (as it so happens).
    It was pouring rain this morning. I looked out and saw what looked like a purse in the street in front of my house. And a lot of papers.
    Turned out to be a canvas tote bag.
    Could not figure out what happened -- fell out of someone's window, off the top of their roof, or what.
    I gathered up the papers/files as best I could. They were wet and floppy. Some were shredded.
    Hoping that something inside one of the files would give a clue to the owner.
    Sure enough. Copies of emails revealed the tote belonged to a local Realtor.

And here's the weird karma part...
    She also had a printed flyer with a list of people she recommends to her clients. Tilers, painters, dog sitters, etc.
    And one fiduciary.
    Yep. The same fiduciary who Hubby and I had to take to court to remove her from our family trust and try to stop her from putting my mother-in-law in a home and stealing what was left of her money.

I admit. When I saw this woman's name I very briefly considered tossing the whole mess back in the street.
    But then I remembered a reading I'd just received this week on FORGIVENESS.
    And so, I contacted the Realtor.
    Her husband came and got the bag.
    Turns out their SUV was broken into while they were at Jazzercise this morning.
    The car had to be towed but luckily the perps didn't take or harm their dog.
    And my side of the street remains clean -- literally and more important, spirtually.