jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Would proof of ET weaken the any argument for the existence of a god?

1. Matthew Kirk profile image89
    Matthew Kirkposted 3 years ago

Researchers have found microbial life at the depths of a 4km deep frozen lake in the Antarctic. Proof that life can survive and potentially thrive in environments outside of our planet such as Europa (one of jupiters moons).

Would the existence of other worldly life deal a serious blow the beliefs of devout religious followers?

I personally believe that ET is very common throughout our galaxy if not the universe, I'm not suggesting flying saucers, but rather microbial, plant and animal life and depending on how common perhaps other similar intelligent life. This is a mathematical likelihood, not a result of watching too much sci fi.

1. peeples profile image88
      peeplesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Believers will believe no matter what proof is ever presented. Belief in God has nothing to do with facts and everything to do with faith.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

We already know facts and evidence that would contradict the beliefs of religions have little to no effect on its followers.

2. cryptid profile image92
    cryptidposted 3 years ago

Maybe, but it don't see why it should.   If one believes in an all-powerful God it stands to reason that such a God could do just about anything, including a bunch of stuff we don't know about and He has no reason to explain.  If God put life here he could put it anywhere He wants.  I have a feeling that's not how some people would see it, though.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

The Pope has already mentioned the possibility, and no one really cared very much.  So I'd say: No.

Matthew Kirkposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When did the pope mention this?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I remembered it a bit wrong, it was the Vatican Astronomer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 28303.html

4. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago

When I was in my teens, my friend's fundamentalist father laughed at astronomers for speculating that there might be planets orbiting other stars. To this day, both of them are Young Earth Creationists who think that to account for the vastness of the universe in a 6000 year old time frame, God formed the light beams from all the stars to the Earth at the same time so they only appear to have existed billions of years ago. My Father in law says there is no alien life because some TV preacher "asked Jesus" and he apparently said "No there are no aliens".

There are broadly two camps of people who follow a religious faith: those with fundamentalist rigid beliefs, and those who's beliefs are flexible and held lightly. The former live insecure because they fear their rigid faith can shatter when presented with contrary evidence. So they assume everyone else is deceived by satan whilst they "refuse to compromise". Their faith won't be weakened because they won't believe the evidence. The latter will accept that the bible is not the sum total of God's revelation and so will happily accept the evidence for ET whilst their faith remains strong.

Good points all round. Probably the best answer

5. 0
    Janhornerposted 3 years ago

There have been lots of sightings of ufo's  and stories of people being abducted then brought back home again.  Who knows none of us can be sure there is no other life on other planets. 

I'm sure there are things that have been kept secret so as not to cause hysteria!

Good question.

1. Haunty profile image84
      Hauntyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Jan! I'm here to inform you that after the Sun the next closest star to Earth is called Alpha Centauri, and it is 4.24 light years away. It is nearly impossible that extraterrestrials should come to Earth on spaceships.

i agree with you. If we ever come into contact with ET it would have to be inside our own solar system. Though at the same time I wouldn't like to guess what we ourselves would be capable of given a few thousand years more of civilization (if we get that far).