jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

is idea of god a work in progress?

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 3 years ago

is idea called god a work in progress?...considering how religions have evolved , do you think 5000 years down the line definition of god and god's attribute would evolve?

1. MrRichard profile image79
      MrRichardposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Considering the plethora of religions created in the 1800's, I'd say there are a lot of definitions of "god." For example, a pantheist would say 'God is everything,' but a satanist would say "I am god"

However, the concept of an eternal, all-loving, omnipresent, omniscient God has remained unchanged for several millennia; it's not a work in progress. According to the ontological argument, this God exists out of necessity, like the abstract concept of a triangle or numbers. I believe the one true God is portrayed through the Old Testament and the New Testimant as such a God.

If you see the Bible as a collection of historical documents, you will see that this eternal God loves the world, and every individual within it.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Of course, gods are all man made, so men decided whatever they want about them. This has been the way of religions for centuries and continues today.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

Of course the idea of God is a  work in progress. I would compare it to the first mention of the possibilityof the existence of an atom. The idea of the atom was around for over a thousand years before we were able to see one. The atom was discussed by philosophers, not scientists. It had a spiritual element to it. Once we progressed to the point that we knew it as fact, look what we have accomplished.

The God concept is the same. It's in our thoughts, many think something exists.  But, without physical proof it can only evolve as we learn more about the physical world and cross off each false assumption. It will continue to evolve until man has mastered the universe and either eliminated all possibilities or found what humanity was searching for.

3. 0
    Rad Manposted 3 years ago

I'm not very good at predicting the future, otherwise I'd have won a few lotteries by now. But, 5000 years is a long time and with our current rate of technological advancement it's difficult to image what 5000 years will bring. A look back 5000 years is not a fair assessment of the changes that will occur because it's only been the last hundred years that technology has started to rapidly advance. Will the advancement of technology and science change spirituality of the next 5000 years. You betcha. How? I don't know I'm no good at predicting the future.