jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

God isn't the only one who hates atheists, finds human rights report.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

"Atheists around the world face persecution, discrimination and even execution, a report published on Monday finds."

http://now.msn.com/athiests-persecuted- … hts-report

Be sure to click on the source link in the article for even more details.

And here's a humdinger of a quote from the report, "In at least seven U.S. states, constitutional provisions are in place that bar atheists from public office and one state, Arkansas, has a law that bars an atheist from testifying as a witness at a trial, the report said."

2. EsmeSanBona profile image88
    EsmeSanBonaposted 3 years ago

Why can't atheists testify?  Because they're required to swear on a Bible they don't believe in?  Seriously, is that it? If that is it, then that means that it's the oath on the Bible that is a sure-fire guarantee than the truth will be told, isn't it?  And if that's true, then why are there perjury laws? 

There is so much I want to say here, but can't seem to articulate my thoughts today.  About all I can say right now is this: 

I am sorry.

I am sorry that people associated with the religion I belong to do not realize atheists are their neighbors, the ones they're meant to love as themselves. 

Atheists are the enemy? 

Then they're pretty precious as Christ gave direct orders to love one's enemies.

Fortunately for me, atheists aren't my enemies, so they're getting no love from me.  HA, just kidding.  I just had to snap myself ought of proselytizing mode there for a minute.-) 

Seriously, I am just joking.  I love atheists as much as I love anybody, which may or may not be laudable.

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

This is the 21st century and unfortunately, we live in a religion obsessed society.    Many people who profess to be of a religion or religious, in actuality, do not believe half of the tenets of that particular religion.   They use religion as a means of social approval, a subterfuge, and as some type of protective insurance. 

To paraphrase Michael, a character in the movie BOYS IN THE BAND as he was talking to Harold, another character who told Michael that regarding religion, he was quite ambivalent.   Michael replied that he was a rotten Catholic, sin all night and go to Mass the next day.   He further stated that if there is no God in the afterlife, fine; however, if there is a God, he is covered. 

It is time that people get past religion.    Atheists, nones, Wiccans, pagans, New Agers, and other nontradtionally religious people are human beings.    The idea of people who are traditionally religious being marginalized is akin to the ostracization of so-called outsiders in Puritan America.   The Puritans strongly contend that those who did not believe as they did were not deserving of acceptance and respect.   Some were marginalized and eventually punished by the authorities i.e. the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.     

GOD is not the problem but PEOPLE.   God does not care whether you are Catholic, Uniate, Orthodox, Jewish(Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, and Hasidic), Baptist, Episcopalian, Buddhist, Shinoist, Wiccan, New Ager, atheist, None, and/or Pagan.     This idea of religious vs "infidel", "sinner", and other pejorative terms for those who elect the nontraditional religious path is becoming old.   

People who insist that only religious people are the elected and have rights is totally wrong.      There are atheists who are Godsends as there are religious people who are Devil incarnates.  Evil acts have been done in the name of religion and committed by so-called religious people, past and present. 

In other words, religious people are no better than anyone else although some believe that they are.  Live and let live, there is no one person nearer to God than another person.

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 3 years ago

It is annoying tongue people will even send emails giving me advice to join blah blah church for safe passage to heaven hmm this from joining forum sites. I'm like, uhmmm..... yeah, ok, thanks. hmm

5. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 3 years ago
  6. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago

Seriously, this is sickening.  Leave people ALONE!  If what they do isn't hurting anyone, leave them alone to believe or not believe as they choose.  Talk about things on which you can agree, or, here's a novel idea - learn from them about things you may not know or understand. 

If we could simply treat each other as human beings who occupy the same time and space, we'd be a helluva lot farther along in the world.

And we wonder why people don't get along on HP?  It's a microcosm of the bigger world out there where we continue to treat one another with judgment, condemnation, and in some cases, outright cruelty.

It's disgusting.

Oh, and God hates NO ONE.  He's just made a lot of stupid people who insist on hating EVERYONE.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

"He's just made a lot of stupid people who insist on hating EVERYONE." and in His name I might add.