jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

The world is NOT dying, Christians!

1. maestrowhit profile image60
    maestrowhitposted 7 years ago

Christianity has a great deal of pleasant ideas, soft and kind anecdotes, and seemingly positive components. If that's all Christianity was, then I would have no problem with it - because those things are self evident as being right and good. No one will argue that kindness, love, peace, and forgiveness are just plain good. you don't have to be a Christian to understand that. You can know these things even before you learn how to speak.

So why be a Christian? Why does a person need to become a Christian in order to observe these pure truths that anyone without a clouded perception can see?

The answer that Christianity gives to these questions is that we are all in danger, and the world is coming to an end. Christianity tells the world that they have a sickness which they wouldn't have known about without being informed - by Christianity.

All you have to do is look around at people in order to see that fear effects people's behaviors. When people think they are in danger, they do dangerous things! And as it is, 80% of Americans (that's just my country) are going about their lives in total conviction that the world is coming to a horrible end!! How do you think that effects the behaviors of most of the people you interact with - including yourself?

I see it everywhere I look - people acting like they are already dead. Christianity is a sickness. It's an institution that was put into place a long time ago by people who had no idea what it would cause in the long run of things. And in this present day, it is still blinding so many people. I don't feel like I'll make a difference by posting this one thread, so don't get me wrong. I'm just expressing myself.

1. livelonger profile image91
      livelongerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I don't think even 70% are Bible literalists, much less the "holy rollers" who obsess about the end of the world. They are just a noisy minority.

2. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 7 years ago

The world is on a doomsday course. Every indicator is pointing to that end. I am no doomsday prophet, but follow the trends we now have in place and see where they are taking us.
    I mean, just the global warming issue, if it is correct, will cause catastrophic events (sooner or later). Nothing is really being done about it. It's in the "too hard basket"
    Another is world population explosion. How long can we sustain humanity at it's current pace?
    There are many others I could use as examples, but I think I have made my point. At least "christianity" has a positive (though some would question that) answer to the way it will end.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The earth will do all right thank you. It is humans that are on a doomsday course. I genuinely think the earth will recover from whatever we do to her.

Although - if you give it a moment's thought - You christians have a built in reason not to care about the planet. You think you are going to be fine wink

Why should you care what happens to the planet and the rest of us? No offense - and this is not aimed at you specifically - but most of the "discussions" I enter with people who deny climate change and insist that the polar bears are under their dominion and it does not matter if they die out - tend to be with fundamental christians. lol

1. aka-dj profile image79
        aka-djposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That point of view may be true to some extent, however, I have concerns for my kids future. Yes it will all work out fine (in the end) but I still want to give the next generation something to live in, (should He tarry beyond my lifetime.)
        I don't think christians can use that as a way to be careless (rather weak word). Good stewardship is an imperrative in the Bible. This applies to all things that we have (been blessed with). Heck, didn't I write something about judgment and accountability recently? That will certainly include how I (we) looked after what was my (our) responsibility.

1. maestrowhit profile image60
          maestrowhitposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Just because the Bible says it, doesn't mean that's how human beings behave -whether they call themselves Christians or not. You're a prime example. In your previous comment, you list off a ton of "evidence" solely for the purpose of supporting your negative future-outlook. Then when the negativity of it is brought to the surface, you grab a convenient little bible verse to use as a veil. You're not being a steward of the Earth if you're "believing" in the destruction thereof. My whole point is that a negative belief causes a negative response. By you and so many others going around "believing" in the end of the world, you're causing negative behaviors. You're spreading fear. And I really don't think you can see that - that's why this isn't personal against you (even though it may seem that way).