Desiderata

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I just felt like posting this...

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent premise and a great way to commence the New Year.

2. phdast7 profile image82
      phdast7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just as meaningful and beautiful now as it has always been.   Thanks for sharing this with us.   Blessings.

paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing how so few words can encompass so much. smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Cool.... do you have Johnathan Livingston Seagull as well??  smile

I used to teach orphaned Albatross chicks that one... it saved me from donning my wings and beak, and weeks of following sailors!  big_smile

1. tirelesstraveler profile image60
      tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sweet

3. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 11 years ago

What a blast from the past.  My 8th grade English class had to memorize this.  We were given fair warning at the beginning of school that we would have to recite the Desiderata from memory at the end of the year.  Kinda wasted on 8th graders though.

4. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 11 years ago

What a beautiful post! Who wrote that?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image89
      Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I found this: Desiderata (Latin: "desired things") is a 1927 prose poem by American writer Max Ehrmann (1872–1945).[

I've never heard of him. It said he wasn't well-known in his lifetime. Figures. Maybe we'll all be world-famous authors after we're gone. :-)

1. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Written by Max Ehrmann in the 1920s --
        Not "Found in Old St. Paul's Church in 1692"

Oh that's right. There was some confusion about the origin of the poem, I remember . But the copy I had was cited as being found in Old St Paul's Church in 1692, author unknown. I'm not sure if I still have that copy.

5. snakeslane profile image81
    snakeslaneposted 11 years ago

Nice post paradigmsearch. Happy New Year everyone! (Victoria I think the author is unknown)

I thought I was already following you. Fixed that. smile

1. MrHunter profile image59
        MrHunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I just felt like responding. Its timeless, and makes you want to do the good things. thanx . .

2. snakeslane profile image81
        snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

6. Deborah Demander profile image91
    Deborah Demanderposted 11 years ago

Thanks for posting this beautiful peace. (Piece). I like the idea of memorizing it. I have, over the years, memorized a multitude of bible verses and various other lines from texts of perennial wisdom, but this is so beautiful. It encompasses the rich depth our lives could be.
    Namaste

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is much easier to live it than memorize it.  It suggests that the strong in spirit and confidence will thrive and the weak and self doubting will not.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Happy New Year, paradigm. Thank you for adding this post to the 2013 atmosphere of Hubberville.  I recall a beautifully framed copy hanging in the waiting room at my old job. By the way, I like you better green wink

My copy is 30 years old. smile

Darn, as to the green, I thought my latest was an advancement. I love my new blue. I think it has style! I've been plastering it all over the place. lol

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

It was also made into a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UEkzFQRS0

I've got messed up video. You better be real.smile
      bumped.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
        Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I remember that when it was a song! What lovely thoughts to bring in the New Year with us! Thanks paradigmsearch. All the best in the New Year.

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I love the words to this - but I am also fond of Deteriorata, which was a take-off on the original back in the old Hippie Days.  Has a similar tone, but the phrases are hilarious - stuff like, 'Rotate your tires."

Sorry - I just can't see the beloved Desiderata without thinking of that one!

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

LOL!  Been right here, all along - but not on the site much in the past few weeks.  Had end-of-term finals and papers to grade, grades to submit, and oh yeah - minor stuff like Christmas . . .

It was all great, but I'm glad for the break now!

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Wow - classic clip of Elton John!  You made my day - I love that song, and the full orchestra was amazing.  He's showing his age a bit (voice changed somewhat), but that song will live forever.

Thanks for posting!

Been no earthquakes recently. big_smile

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So glad!  That little quake-storm was a bit scary (you know - San Andreas Fault Folklore, 2012, and all).

12. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Deteriorata - the National Lampoon clip:

(PD - was this what you meant to post?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6ugTmCYMk

Not sure this, another time...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)