jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

We Are Ruled By The Dead

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

When I was in college, my sociology professor stated that we are mired in ideologies and belief systems that no longer apply to the modern era.   In essence, she stated that we are ruled by the dead.   She added that people believe in the old paradigms because it is easier and safer than to branch out to try new ideas. 

Yes, I concur with this premise.   People are afraid to try new ideas and paradigms.   This is based upon fear and the need to conform to a particular paradigm whether it is familial, religious, and/or societal.   There is safety and security in numbers.   People tend to value the old over the new even though new methodologies are beneficial to them and society in the long run.   Let's discuss this.

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The ones ruled by the dead are those who die..

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Being old doesn't make an idea bad, and being new does not make one good. The trick is to move from old ideas only when the new idea is better and more successful.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  There is much that is old and useful.  Not everything, and things do change, but being old doesn't mean worthless.

At least I hope not - I'm old! smile

1. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No,  YOU'RE  NOT old at all!