What dies being made in an image mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deepes Mindposted 11 years ago

I am posting this as two questions to accommodate atheists and agnostics. Please answer as according to your particular individual ideal.

Christians- The Bible says that we are made in God's image, what does this mean to you?

Atheists- What does it mean to you for something to be made in the image of something else?

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"LET US make man in our Image".

Just what I think of it.
      I take this as someone talking to others saying Why don't we make a physical representation of ourselves (which we will/can inhabit). And They Did.

But because they brought with them all of their prior knowledge, ...  the whole thing was a fiasco.
      Then they had to do a do over which gives birth to the flood story.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

An image is defined as a representation of the external form of a person or thing in art. Or, the general impression that a person, organization, or product presents to the public. But the second definition doesn't really apply in the case because of the language used, it's more of a "I have an image to uphold". The bible use of language in my opinion was used to give a sense of importance to people. I think it's arrogant to assume we are above other animals. We certainly have some great qualities, but so do all living things that have evolved and survived.

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well,  as a Christian,  I believe the Bible when it says God is Spirit.
      So, I think the "image" is a spiritual one.  In other words, mankind was made to be spiritual,  not just physical.
      Now, whether God Himself has any sort of physical attributes or not,  I dunno.   Revelation does describe Him sometimes with physical attributes,  but honestly I think that's simply for the sake of our human ability to understand something only when we can give it a physical picture.

The reason I say this is because it's so easy sometimes to say God must look like us humans because we have a particular physical body.
      But I remember that God was first!    So.....since He was NOT made in OUR image,  we must've been made in His image spiritually.

1. profile image0
        riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So was god showing moses his spiritual bum?

1. profile image0

haha
          hmmm...
          I dunno.   What do you think?  (Try to give chapter and verse including other contextual verses that go along with this).
          Good topic for discussion; goes along with this whole thread.   
          I think "back parts" would mean simply the back side of His image (whatever that image was).   Perhaps an indistinct view of His Spiritual body (if He has any body) or maybe a preview of the Christ.

1. profile image0

Exodus 33.23 : "Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."
            God was not showing his image but his own back. God has a face and back. And spirit is a concept, conceptualized by human mind, do not exist outside the mind. So don't say god is spiritual and Bible say so. God according to the Bible is physical.

1. profile image0

John 4: 24:

"God is a Spirit, and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

What else ya got?

1. profile image0

The OT is all nonsense then? In all OT god has a physical body. If jesus is god he too had a body even after death (the doubting Thomas stuff).

Good that god is a spirit, a concept that exist only inside our mind. Then god is what we think and have no independent reality (though I don't think so).

1. profile image0

Jesus also ascended to Heaven after the "doubting Thomas" incident.

And no a spirit doesn't exist just in the mind.   The spirit is real, perhaps more real than tangible things.
                  And the Old Testament indicates that God is Spirit, even though He chose sometimes to reveal Himself in a physical manifestation just as He manifested in the person of Jesus.

1. profile image0

99% of OT and NT says God, jesus and his ghost are physical. Jesus ascended in physical form.
                    Spirit is immaterial,  I hope you know the meaning of immaterial.

4. profile image0

That gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans and gibbons, along with humans look like god.

5. UnknownAuthor72 profile image60
      UnknownAuthor72posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wonder about the proof? How can there be a god of love and one who allows bad things to happen. Spirits only represent what the mind chooses to believe, I think anyways

2. getitrite profile image73
    getitriteposted 11 years ago

I take that to mean a physical likeness.  An image is also defined as a representation.

I think specifics are needed, in order to determine how close the image is to the original, what parts were duplicated, which were not.  Speaking as a Christian, I was led to believe that God made us, as a species, to look similar to him...meaning he was a "man"...but did not copy all of his super powers to the image, lest we be his equal.

1. profile image0
      Deepes Mindposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting answer.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

That question came to my mind the other day. Most religions teach that ego is in conflict with enlightenment. So, I don't see how belief in being made in the physical image of a deity would be the intent. I, honestly don't know. But, I think it has to do with our ability to think and create. If there is a God, it created this reality. We, in turn, perceive a unique reality that does not match the perception of others. We, truly, create our own reality.

4. profile image57
    lifegamerposted 11 years ago

Good question, DM...nice that you try to include. smile

It is my knowing that the 'image' is not exactly physical form...since we, & all, are in constant trans-form-ations.  The common denominator left to be of re-form is our energy...soul, spirit, essence...whatever term of vocab preferred.  We are parts & parcels of pure creative energy...the bods we take on are merely vehicles of experiencing this time & place. 

mpo..."To be made in the image of":  Reminds me of artworks...Entirely depends on the artist's imagination of what he/she Sees to Express.

Good Journey! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)