jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (33 posts)

The New Pope

1. 0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

It had to be asked.

By naming himself Francis, Bergoglio has confirmed himself to be aligned as Francesco di Puerto di Bernardone by official title.

Why? Wouldn't it have been better to steer clear of an ancient prophecy? Are they thumbing their noses, or hoping for fulfillment?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Are you sure that's  the "St. Francis"  meant by his taking that title?

I think it's in honor of St. Francis of Assisi..........

2. 0
      Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

St. Francis of Assisi aligned himself with the poor and the lepers.  He was also called by God to "rebuild His house."  At the time, Francis began to literally rebuild the chapel of San Damiano...later he realized that God had called him to renew/rebuild the Church.  To bring a new spirit of poverty and humility and love to the people of God through his fidelity to the Gospel.

The name you gave was his family name.  smile 

Since he renounced his worldly goods and gave himself to God, he has only ever been known as Francis of Assisi.

smile

1. 0

Well, there ya go, Emile.
        The form letter canned answer from a Catholic.

2. 0
        Emile Rposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry. I'm really not attempting to bash Catholics here. It's just odd to me. I've read that, in the past, cardinals have gone out of their way to appear to fit the prophesy hoping to be chosen. The last two chosen went out of their way to ensure they fit the prophesy. You've got to wonder why. Or maybe you don't.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I doubt he was thinking of the prophecy, he was thinking of his policy about the poor and sending a signal to the Italian power base (Francis being the patron of Italy)

1. 0

That is, of course, just as possible. But, even though I consider the Vatican to be out of touch; I don't see them as completely oblivious. To think that it wasn't discussed (keeping in mind it is their prophesy) doesn't seem likely. To me, at least.

Either way, the guy appears to be pretty nice.

1. 0

I can't see them being oblivious at all either.
              But it may be that it's more common than we think.
              This link below seems to show that there've been other Popes who had the name of Peter.   They just didn't re-name themselves Peter.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

1. 0

I think my problem lies in the fact of the prophecy. You know it exists. You know what it says. If you name yourself something that appears to line up, why?

1. 0

That is the million dollar question........

2. 0
                  Rad Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

To legitimize the prophesy and the Church. Unfortunately if one knows the prophesy it's self fulfilling.

Watch me predict the future.
                  In two minutes I'll post that the word SEE.

1. 0

Just interjecting here before the two minutes are up.   Trying to interrupt prophecy!!  haha

3. psycheskinner profile image82

There are a bunch for Francis-es he could be referencing. Especially as he is Jesuit.

1. 0

Possibly. But I read that he admitted he was thinking of Francis of Assissi when he chose the name. Which is great. I am an admirer of the story of St. Francis. I just find it odd; the timing and all.

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago

Eh...
    okay...
    according to Wikipedia,  they were the same person....

Now I see why you ask.

3. 0

Emile,
    Whether the connection is intentional or simply coincidental,
    and considering the Church's rule of not having a Pope named Peter,
    I doubt that there will ever be a definitive answer forthcoming from the Vatican.
    The Catholic Church has always retained its secrecy.
    And while I admire the stance of the new Pope on many issues,  he is Catholic after all and subject to that ritual of secrecy.

1. 0

I find it interesting because the last pope chose to assume a name that was associated with olives, which made him fit the prophesy. Or so I've read. And you can't tell me this Argentinian didn't know that name would be interpreted that way. It all looks a little suspicious to me. Oddly so. Why would anyone go out of their way to line up with such a ridiculous prophesy?

4. stclairjack profile image80
    stclairjackposted 3 years ago

perhaps i'm just slow,... what "rediculous prophesy" are we talking about??

1. 0

St. Malachi.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

The Pope chooses the name, not the Vatican as a whole, so it is hard to say what he did or did not consider.

1. 0

Well, I believe we all already knew that, but thanks for stating the obvious.

1. psycheskinner profile image82

I was replying to you statement which seemed to bring in what "the Vatican" knows.

1. 0

Well, let's think about this for a moment. Yes, the guy gets to pick his own name. I'm sure a cardinal had advisors and I'm sure he told Vatican officials what he wanted to be named prior to sharing it with the world, at large. Are you suggesting that no one had any opportunity for input? If so, could you explain?

6. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

I should try out for Pope so I can be Pope Minotaurus I.

It just has to be a Latin word, right? Then Minotaurus should do just fine.

1. 0

I'd vote for you. But, I'm not a cardinal.

7. 0
    Rad Manposted 3 years ago

Not to worry, they gave the prophesy and out by saying there is an indeterminate number of Popes between the last and the very last.

8. 0
    Rad Manposted 3 years ago

SEE

1. 0

Um, you were off by a minute. What kind of a prophet are you?

1. 0
        Rad Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sorry about that, I took a phone call and got distracted by stupid work. I'll be a better prophet from now on.

9. 0

lol

10. mayza profile image60
    mayzaposted 3 years ago

I love this new pope smile

working