jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Penance on Holy Week

1. francisassissi profile image61
    francisassissiposted 4 years ago

List down your penance for the Holy Week. I specifically posted this one under the category of Catholic Religion but anyone could write their views.

2. francisassissi profile image61

I did the secret lashes on my back to express penance and sacrifice. I ate a little on Holy Thursday and Good Friday.

1. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're joking, right?

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

Secret lashes? You beat yourself?

1. Ericdierker profile image79
      Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do not believe he is joking. His name sake did it routinely, he especially liked rolling in the snow. The Papal position on it is basically --- It is ok as long as it causes no pain to the body. Lest you think this strange, talk to the lady who runs until she hurts, because she was bad and ate chocolate. Nowadays we say no pain no gain.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There is a world of difference between attempting to run calories off and whipping yourself as penance. Unless it is your contention that abuse is good for the body. If so, hopefully you agree that abusing yourself is the only abuse allowed.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61

LOL. Are you actually comparing exercise to the medieval act of beating oneself?

Easy there. I was just giving the notion of all of it. The concept that we can punish our bodies so we look more sexy and fit, that we can diet so we are more attractive, is very much along the same lines. An hour in front of mirror with makeup, sitting in a steaming hot sauna? These are bizarre ideas. The guy who works 70 hours a week? Would it be then wrong to suffer so for the soul. Again -- easy on the messenger.

Oops I forgot high heels, starched shirts and ties, alarm clocks when we need more sleep, immunization shots. Such self flagellation.

1. profile image0
              Emile Rposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're scaring me. I suppose your point is that if it makes you feel better about your image, do it. Do you think there is ever a point to stop at? What about people with psychological problems who cut themselves? Is that OK? It does make them feel better.

No Emile my point is the opposite. I think most of that is very weird indeed. But folks in glass houses should not throw stones. All the "bad" habits are abuse of the body for pleasure, that is insane.
                There is a clear line in the sand to be drawn -- when it is harmful.
                (google up "secret lashes" you will be blown away at the inflicted irritation of the eyes for beauty)

2. A Troubled Man profile image61

The forms of exercise and diet I practice certainly do not punish my body, quite the contrary. It is the lack of exercise and good diet that accomplishes that.  How that equates to beating oneself for punishment is as disturbing as it is mind boggling.

Sure, there are folks that exercise because they want to look more sexy, but that only serves to increase their ability and capacity to reproduce and pass on those "sexy" genes. Is that a problem?

Personally, I have no such visions of grandeur and am focused more on how exercise and good diet is adding more benefits to my life, having lots of energy to do things and the motivation required, fewer injuries, increased skill levels, endurance and strength, not just in every day life, but all sporting and recreational activities. The list is endless.

Amen brother. I follow the liturgy of this time and gave up chocolates and sodas and beer. I hike a hill called "cardiac hill" and suffer mightily in training for bigger hikes. I give up certain meals and give the savings to good things. But I must admit to pinching myself hard to stay awake during some sermons ;-)
              I think I do not understand some things. But that does not mean I condemn them.

2. francisassissi profile image61
      francisassissiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Beat myself, yes. But not too hard. Just to humble myself to God.

4. francisassissi profile image61

If I sacrifice, I do not think of dieting or exercising. That is the way I offer my life to God. I am not into showing the world that I serve God.

I think it is medieval in the sense of style but personally it is a different feeling of loosing myself to be worldly and reminds me to control myself in all temptations of life.

Anyway, I just do this few days in Holy Week.

working