jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Are YOU, Part II

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

In Paradise Lost by John Milton, there was a passage stating that it is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven.  There are many interpretations to this passage.  However, I shall interpret to mean that one must follow one's heart even to the derision and ostracization of your family, friends, and/or other associates than to mindlessly and blindly conform in order to be accepted and liked.   To paraphrase, Dr. Wayne W. Dyer, it is better to be disliked for WHO YOU ARE than to be liked for WHO YOU ARE NOT.    Let's discuss this passage

1. damian0000 profile image75
      damian0000posted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's an interesting idea but few things in life are ever as black and white or as clear-cut as this.
      Freedom of thought and expression are certainly very important but we should also remember that no man is an island.
      Of course, if our family and circle of friends cut across everything which we believe in then we should follow our own hearts but we shouldn't do it lightly --- in 99% of cases some form of compromise is necessary or we just end up hurting the ones we love.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

I would never have interpreted that passage in that way, but I think you have to be true to yourself. I would rather be disliked for who I am. Because if they like me for who I'm not, they still don't like me and I wouldn't like myself for trying to gain love dishonestly.

1. moneyfairy profile image64
      moneyfairyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you Emile R: If you can't live your life being who you truly are then who's life are you living?