Jesus said "do not throw your pearls to pigs"?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (91 posts)
  1. SwordofManticorE profile image69
    SwordofManticorEposted 10 years ago

What does this verse mean to you Matt 7:6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe that Jews of the time referred to Gentiles as being dogs and pigs. Even Jesus called the Syro-Phonecian woman a gentle dog before she asked to at least have crumbs from the table. If Jesus is referring to Gentiles it ties up with his statement that he had come for the Lost Sheep of Israel, the inference being he didn't come to the Gentiles.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ironic.

How so Rad Man? After the resurrection jesus told his disciples to tell the World. This wasn't a change of mind but the next phase in the programme.

1. Levertis Steele profile image74
            Levertis Steeleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes!

2. profile image0

You don't think your statement is ironic? "the inference being he didn't come to the Gentiles."

Not at all. He came to reach Israel and after the resurection he began phase 2, the Gentiles. It is normal on complex projects to split them into phases, we do it all the time in work. smile

1. StefanBach55 profile image57
                StefanBach55posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mark 16:9-20 - This section is a later addition and the contained command to make disciples of all nations is full of errors

Mark 16:9-20 has been called a later addition to the Gospel of Mark by most New Testament scholars in the past century. The main reason for doubting the authenticity of the ending is that it does not appear in some of the oldest existing witnesses, and it is reported to be absent from many others in ancient times by early writers of the Church. Moreover, the ending has some stylistic features which also suggest that it came from another hand.

The gospel of Mark (Mk) was the source of the gospel of Matthew (Mt) and Luke (Lk). Lk and Mt were written with the additional part which later was added to Mk. The source (Mk) was subsequently supplemented by their derivatives (Mt, Lk).

Verse from the additional part (Mk 16:15):
                He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation ..."

See Matthew 28:19:
                "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, ..."

See Luke 24:46:
                "And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations ..."

The BIG QUESTiON: Why there is nothing mentioned about such statement in the book "Acts of the apostles"?

In the dispute (see Acts 11) among the apostles about the possibility of non-Jews becoming followers of Jesus of Nazareth, peace be upon him, there was not mentioned a single word about a command of Jesus of Nazareth in which he said to them that they should make disciples of all nations. (Compare: Mt 28:16-20 with Acts 11:1-18)
                It was only mentioned: "And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'" (Acts 11:16)

Conclusion:
                Jesus of Nazareth, peace be upon him, never gave a command to make disciples of all nations.

1. vector7 profile image59
                  vector7posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, everyone is reviving dead and rotting threads.. lol

You're getting ahead of yourself. Back up, big picture:

John 14:6

Keep the following keywords in mind when reading...

"no one"

And yes, I am quoting the King James. Hope that clarifies what He didn't say.. (on the record) but certainly implies here. (obviously) smile

1. StefanBach55 profile image57
                    StefanBach55posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Of course the thread is 2 yo, but it was one of the first google search results and so i wrote a response.

You should also keep in mind:
                    And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone." (Mark 10:18)

2. Michael-Milec profile image61
                  Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did anyone said "Pearls ?"  Oh, yes, Jesus Christ has some explanation to it, "The kingdom of heaven (kingdom of God ) is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls. Having found  one pearl of great value he went away, sold all he had and bought it."(Matt. 13:45).
                  Suppose, the things pertaining the highest value  are only for serious seekers of God's righteousness; not for everybody . The kingdom of God - spiritual eternity = gold's rule in the heart of man.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
                    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The pearls you are speaking of is not in the same setting ,
                    Mt 7:6“Do not give what is holy to dogs nor throw your pearls before swine, so that they may never trample them under their feet and turn around and rip you open.
                    Which this means at
                    Pr 9:7 The one who corrects a ridiculer invites dishonor, And whoever reproves someone wicked will get hurt.

So food for thought is even though you have great value in the tongue and may speak much truth, ridiculers will attack you just because they see no value in your words. But when I speak I know they are there , I really focus on the people who are quite the opposite. Jesus had the same troubles and he set example for us to follow.

2. SwordofManticorE profile image69
        SwordofManticorEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is how I understood it DH.

2. renegadetory profile image62
      renegadetoryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus meant that we are not to give that which is sacred to those who not only blatantly disregard Christ's message, but also takes pleasure in crushing and destroying what was given to them. 
      Proverbs 26:11- "As a dog returns to his vomit, so a foo, repeats his folly"
      2 Peter 2:22- "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

3. Levertis Steele profile image74
      Levertis Steeleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We know the behavior of swine and dogs. There is not one decent thing they will do with pearls. With that in mind, This scripture presents a fitting analogy using the behaviors of these animals to possibly compare to human beings who are adamantly not receptive of, but rejects truth and Jesus' love. Even Jesus avoided going to certain cities that were full of evil people unwilling to receive or listen to him. He knows hearts, so He is saying, "shake the dust off your feet"and look for better pickings. Sodom and Gomorrah would be swine because the people refused righteousness.

4. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What it means to me is that I shouldn't throw my "stellar" hubs in front of people who are illiterate and can't understand a word. Just a simple example.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol    A similar thought (not necessarily about Hubs but the Internet in general) occurred to me.   smile

5. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow He describes exactly what His Father did to Him. I had always just read it as words of wisdom in dealing with those who do not want to learn new ways. People who live by their own understanding and hold that sacred.

But now I see also as a prophecy. The Pharisees are the swine. Christs' loving message the pearl and Christ who they turn on.

I'll bet you 100 bucks that Peter and James did not get it all ;-) But thought He was talking about piggies and doggies.

6. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Religions are based on ignorance, hence the statement was made as an insulting claim of superiority over others who don't share the beliefs. It only serves to show the lack of morals and ethics contained within the religion.

7. SwordofManticorE profile image69

Personally, I believe that we are not to share divine wisdom to those who mock it. Dogs and pigs in my opinion are symbolic for the filth in the hearts of those who mock Christianity. It could range from pharisee, rabbi, another religion and most of all, the determined atheist who relishes the chance to set traps and expose our mishaps when angered by them. Keep in mind, the examples I gave are ones who mock our beliefs, not those who are not Christians yet respect the right for us to believe and leave well alone.

1. profile image0

That respect is supposed to go both ways. You're showing a lack of respect and dignity by calling those who don't agree with you pigs or dogs. It shows the ethical growth of a child in a school yard.

1. A Troubled Man profile image57

Or, lack thereof. smile

1. profile image0

Hey, wanna go for a bike ride.
            No thanks, I wanna play video games.
            You're a pig.

1. profile image0
              Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

That about sums up the mentality behind those types of comments.

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
              Kiss andTalesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To Mr RD I think no one comes out and call people pigs , That is your statement bluntly. and you can disagree with out name calling , many do on hub pages, but the text used was a symbol to represent the situation of meaning. While your meaning is more vivid ,this is not the case for others.

Example , You save money for a college fund for a student ,say 25000 dollars.
              You present it to a student that you feel worthy of your gift. That is that they would appreciate what you have contribute to the cause of education, You feel that they will do something with the gift that will help them for a life time.
              Yet a year later you find out  that this student is not a student anymore ,he dropped out of class the first year, and he bad mouth you as being stupid for giving him this money anyway, because he squandered it up . So with that thought your attention was in the right of your heart. And you stuck out on a good choice for a deserving student. this student would not be called a pig ,yet that is how he acted ,he did not appreciate valuble things.

Sorry, but your religion offers nothing of value, quite the contrary, in fact.

2. profile image0

There you go again telling someone they are acting like a pig because they don't do as you want.

Some people love to argue  it does not matter about the word it maters about the meaning ,and in many cases in the example i gave the word was not needed because you get the point. You do not have to name call literal for you to understand that people do not appreciate  valuable things .that is the point of text.

Now if you want to be literal with your understanding then you can. But others see it different.

Oh and in the text not just valuable things ,but spiritual things that are referred to as pearls. words here are just symbolic .to understand the meaning of lesson. That is all. Why make more of it .

I am not bothered by those who are offended. If you had of left ridicule out of discussion in the first place and left well alone, I would not of had to ask this question.

1. profile image0

Do you think disagreeing with you is ridiculing?

I am always agreeable to disagree in any matter. ATM on the otherhand likes to kick dirt in our faces with his ridecule and whines foul because of one word. I have told him a number of times to feel welcome not to comment on anything I ask, yet he continues to mock believers.

1. profile image0

Skip over his comments. If you don't read them he can't offend you.

I do, it was a responce for Beth who has been somewhat troubled by ATM lately.

I meant to encourage a fellow Christian, not a God mocking heathen.

1. profile image0

You really, really need to rethink your understanding of spirituality. I'm not sure you are getting everything out of it you are supposed to.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

lol

Yup, keep the insults coming, you're contributing more to atheism than anything else.

Sorry, but that is false, I am not mocking you. I am criticizing your religious beliefs and sometimes the comments regarding the beliefs are hilariously funny and often absurd.

You, on the other hand, are openly insulting people, calling them swine.

Do you not even know the difference?

Yes, you will happily insult us and will not care about it, while bleating all kinds of false claims of victimization.

No one is insulting you personally, yet you are doing that yourself.

Yes, and we can see from your response the attitude of superiority, arrogance and lack of morals your religion is teaching you. This is only serves to further divide mankind and blight our societies with that tripe.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

Not what you think it does.

But, please ignore the first part of that chapter. I've copied it for your consideration (which I bet you won't bother to think about):

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

That precedes your convenient reference. Unless you can show us how you have abided by the first six verses, you are wasting time expecting any to accept that you honestly want to understand what was meant in the next verse.

I asked a simple question and now you come here to attack me personnaly. Is that just as Christ like? Can you at least tell me what you think Matt 7:6 means to you before you attack me first.

1. profile image0

OK, I'll humor you and pretend that we don't both know what caused you to start this thread.

I think Jesus had a better understanding of human nature than the next guy. He knew how we act when we share something we consider to be precious and it is not well received. The Bible speaks to people uniquely. What are pearls of wisdom to me might not be the same things that are pearls to you. So, he wasn't referring to pearls of wisdom, he was referring to those things you hold precious spiritually.

To not throw pearls before swine was an attempt to help you not create contention. Not create a situation which would cause ill will and ill thoughts. Keep those things that are precious close. That which is sacred to you is for you, and you alone. Sure, you can share joyfully with others of like mind; but if you share with those who are not of like mind and they share that which they find sacred and precious and you don't agree with them; it makes a mockery of your inner thoughts and emotions and a mockery of those of another. You think ill of them and they of you. At which point the name calling starts. Both sides reacting the same emotionally.

Not bad

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

He meant pearls of spiritual wisdom.

That most people don't want to hear it, and will at least make fun and mock you, and at worst torture and kill you.

Good point.

4. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

Great reminder and you know sometime you get that thought in your head  and just keep talking! Great words!

Could you imagine throwing a diamond to a pig, he see's nothing of it's value ,but that also may say somthing about the person who through the diamond that they should already know what kind of animal it is ? meaning you can not change a pig into a lamb.

1. profile image0

It appears to me to be a nice easy way of belittling those who don't agree with you.

Well what person would be happy and celebrate rejection, when attempted ,the person behind the good or bad issues never likes rejection, that is why forums keep going.

1. profile image0

Is that what your religion has taught you? Is it morally and ethically correct to call someone a pig when they disagree with you?

Thats a good way to put it KaT

5. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

If you're gonna quote the Bible, don't use the NIV--it just makes the text sound even more idiotic and ridiculous than it already is. At least the Geneva and King James bibles try to sound dignified and important while being laughable.

6. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 10 years ago

Jesus of Nazareth (there's more about Him,those with Faith know), came first - [ second to redeem ] -to teach/show those who were/are teachable and willing to continue in "God's idea' originally imposed in the "Garden ". Right at the beginning of His 'public service', He is pointing to ultimate rigorousness of the message : do not force TRUTH upon rebellious, defiant or those who will reject it, they might come back as fault -finders , evil speakers ... ( evidences prove to be right ).

7. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 10 years ago

To you it would not apply , because you fit the example I have given. And besides you no nothing of my religion,

Yes, and even though you said, "I think no one comes out and call people pigs", you just did.

Oh yes, we know a great deal about your religion, far more than you, actually.

You see you said it I didn't. You use the word ,I used an example. A difference.

Yes, you essentially referred to me as pig. Why not just be honest about it?

You are honest to yourself .

1. profile image0

I don't know why anyone bothers, because it appears those using this are less than honest with themselves. But if I said we shouldn't expect neanderthals to understand simple logic anytime a Christian disagreed with something I thought made sense, would you consider that an insult?

Then, why can't you?

8. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Oooh, this is the thread that started it all eh? Did I comment on it? I didn't see where I did.
    Ill be honest, Im really bad with details Emile. When I read a news paper, I miss all the headlines and only see the story. Im that way with everything. A lot of times when I comment, I may not even know what thread I commented on, or have read more than the comment above mine, or the op. Anyway... I don't think Id seen this thread before.

9. ii3rittles profile image78
    ii3rittlesposted 10 years ago

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." (KJV)

Rend: Cause great emotion pain (in the heart)
    Lest: To avoid the risk; in case; the possibility of something undesirable happening.
    Swine: A person regarded by the speaker with contempt and disgust.
    Dog: Something of inferior or low quality; An investment that produces a low return or a loss.

So this scripture essential means : Do not give anything of value/good/holy to something/someone that will turn it against you or other innocent people because they may/possibly cause great emotional pain or cause undesirable things to happen.

Essentially, don't trust evil. Don't give what God has given to you to false prophets. Don't invest your money into things that will bring low return or loss.

He is teaching us to be prosperous in this scripture. smile

No, He is teaching you to be selfish, suspicious and intolerant.

1. ii3rittles profile image78
        ii3rittlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So giving to evil people so they can use their power against you and others and trusting evil is a good thing?

Who said anything about trusting evil? It was not mentioned in the verses or in the definitions you provided.

Is it automatic for you to assume those who don't share your beliefs are evil people? And, they are trying to use their power of evil against you?

2. ii3rittles profile image78
        ii3rittlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Looking over your replies, you just offer bitterness. I am sorry you have such little faith & invest so much into a world that is evil. If you don't believe in the Bible, that is fine, but don't poison a discussion for the rest of us.

That is what his motive is ,if you notice he just reject any commit on any subject of God ,he feeds off his power to destroy helpful thinking, do not not allow the negative of this person to disturb you ,usually you find out how strong is your faith. Jesus had many alike in his day , that is even more prove that the bible is on time and is accurate . Also notice he does not post on the atheist hubs because ,he gets no joy of others like his self. To him and there are others like him enjoy the hunt!

Yes, it is very "helpful thinking" to spread the belief that we are swine and to make sure that nothing we say will every disturb those "helpful" thoughts.

lol  <--- me offering bitterness

You need not be sorry, you invest and have as much to do with this world as anyone else. I don't need faith to escape it, but instead use understanding to appreciate it's splendor and magnificence. The world is not evil, deal with it.

Oh, I see, you don't want any of us sitting up and taking notice of the discussion, you know, the one in which we're being labeled as swine?

2. Zelkiiro profile image88
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wrong.

"Rend" means to tear or shatter, especially something solid like muscles or bones.
      "Lest" is the same thing as "or else."
      "Swine" has always referred to things non-Jewish, whether it be the animal itself or people who just plain aren't Jewish.
      "Dogs" refers to anyone beneath your perceived station or anyone you deem to be less holy than you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)