Is Good The Greater Reality?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

There are moments in your life when you can't help but wonder if the Fates have lined up against you. No matter how hard you work, how hard you try; trouble crops up at every turn to thwart your efforts.  I accept that as just an unfortunate series of events on some level but I can't stop myself from asking why. Why, if I do this, does that happen? Why couldn't that have happened at any other moment? Why does it crop up, seemingly, in order to negate my efforts?

These are general statements, but throughout my life I've noticed that I experience long periods where nothing happens which can be viewed as bad luck and then bad luck appears to arrive in a cluster. I learned a long time ago never to utter the words 'it can't get any worse' because that appears to be viewed as a challenge. A challenge that will not go unmet.

Does anyone know how to shake off bad karma? Bad luck? Whatever it is called?

I try to view my actions critically and I do strive to ensure I am always fair. I believe good is the nature of the greatest reality in the universe and that good is the final result of any series of events. I'm not sure how to put seriously bad luck into perspective, while it is having its heyday.

Any thoughts?

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Regardless how well we plan or are prepared life happens...it is how we react to a situation or view a situation that makes it bad or good.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I firmly agree with that 99.9% of the time. I usually find what can be viewed as the silver lining in any situation. However, some things have such a negligible amount of good to be found in them that it seems grasping to claim it as being found.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Emile, I'm going to answer this question from a very personal POV, because I've only my own experience to go by.  My husband and I had a really, really tough first year+ of marriage.  Six months after we got married, he was diagnosed with three severe conditions affecting his heart - after an acute episode of congestive heart failure that we mistakenly assumed was just pneumonia.  He lost his job as a result and we had no health insurance.  In addition, we didn't have enough income to support ourselves with just me working.  Five months after that, we lost our first child to miscarriage.  Less than a year later, I was hospitalized twice for a fairly extended period of time, leaving us really broke and in a spot where we just could never catch up.  I'm now in a position where I have to work from home. Last point is that we met when we were in our early thirties, which often left us feeling as though we'd been brought together late in life to lose each other early.  It seemed horrendously unfair.

BUT - fast forward a bit, and here we are, married almost five years, spending as much time together as we wish to - he can't work and I can't work outside the home.  We took in a teenager in October, and since have become her full legal guardians.  My illness is better controlled and managed than it has ever been, and he, VERY unexpectedly, has seen improvement in his.  I'd have told you in late 2008/2009 that we were cursed, but now, I can see a reason for everything that happened to us.  It all led to us moving back to my home state of Michigan - which neither of us really likes much - but if we hadn't done so, we'd never have picked up Jasmine, and she's been one of the greatest gifts to ever touch our lives.

Luck is what it is, but I really believe (there's that yucky word) with all my heart that every human being is born to experience joy and goodness in their lives.  If we, as adults, could figure out how to be better people, we could make sure no child ever got off the track to the goodness that waits for them.

I think the only way to shake off bad luck is to understand that it may not necessarily be BAD - but rather a type of preparation for us to truly recognize and appreciate the GOOD that's coming later.

1. profile image0

I suppose your last line sums it up. You can't appreciate the good without experiencing the bad. I think I'm down because so many, at this moment, are expecting me to find the ace in the hole to pull us all away from the brink. Maybe, I'm just turned looking at the wrong end of the tunnel. Or maybe not. I like to think failure is a character builder, but that sentiment doesn't apply when viewing the lives of others. Failure would be incredibly hard on them.

1. profile image0

The tough part is that you may find yourself falling over the edge.  If that's the case, just keep an eye out for a soft place to land.  And, I sorta look at it this way:  if others are looking to you, it's because you've done it before, and that means you have it in you to do it again.  There's nothing wrong with occasionally feeling down, just make sure you're prepared to start climbing when/if you hit a bottom.

smile

1. profile image0

My feet and mind never stop moving. I may feel put upon at times but I never feel completely helpless. What's the old saying? Things always work out in the end. If they haven't worked out, it's not the end yet.

1. profile image0

Absolutely!  And, you strike me as the type to NOT give up easily.  Got my fingers crossed for you!

2. Paul K Francis profile image84
      Paul K Francisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When I ask, 'can it get any worse' or 'now what' or 'what next', it usually does get worse and I think that a part of me wants it that way just so I can say, 'AH - HA, I WAS RIGHT '. We all have responsibilities we must attend to but when things are not going too well, I spend some time, if at all possible, 'not trying'. I too believe that good is a fundamental part of reality and I remind myself of that truth often. And if some of our troubles involve the 'small stuff ', some humor does not hurt. Breaking a shoe lace and hitting myself in the chin while I am already pissed off, may not be a good thing, but it sure is funny. Have a nice day.

3. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sure, the first thing one needs to understand is that there is no room for superstitions. Karma does not exist and we have no control over luck. Your bad luck may be good luck for others. Karma is simply wishful thinking. It should be like that therefore it is, well we also have sayings like "only the good die young" for a good reason.

I've had a couple as friends for the last ten years who appeared to at times have everything going their way, except for the separation which almost led to a divorce they did get back together and everything seemed perfect. They liked the idea of karma and wouldn't worry about their children because doing so was a negative emotion and that would affect the children. They routinely told others their errors and would point out others troubles as being related to Karma. Last summer one of their children needed hospitalization and almost lost her kidneys as a result of partying on March break. She apparently may need a kidney transplant in the future, but we didn't find that out from talking to the parents because they wouldn't talk about it. Bad karma? No life, life happens, all the good and the bad. All Karma does is make people feel guilty for things they have no control over.

1. profile image0

Well, I'll admit. The use of the word karma was probably a mistake. However, random problems, when random,  can be resolved to the adage 'life happens'. When they come at you like machine gun fire from every angle, you tend to wonder. And that is indicative of my life. Trouble comes in large groups when it comes.  It comes from every angle. When it comes. It isn't usually there. It waits until the bucket is full and then dumps all at the same time.

And we aren't talking about cause and effect. Unless you think I can somehow knock a 70 year old oak over on a power line, or influence buyers with the will of my mind, or control electricity, or manipulate the movement of a random farm animal. All while standing in one place and make all of these things happen at separate locations; yet converge to disrupt my life. Only to perform similar feats of magic which cause serious problems day after day.

There are days when the weirdometer is in the red zone.

1. profile image0

Those days suck. Had one like that a few weeks back. Everything I touched when to s*&t.

2. Renee Abbott profile image81
          Renee Abbottposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh, sorry I did misunderstand. I took karma in literal sense. Yep those days you describing are a pain. Life happens though. Yes, you will get through it.

4. aravindb1982 profile image77
      aravindb1982posted 10 years agoin reply to this

THIS IS SIMPLY AWESOME AND TERRIFIC!

The last few days, I have spent pondering over the exact same question. I was thinking as to what is the use of being good when 'evil' seems to be enjoying all fruits. I have a Master, a Guru whom I consider as my God - Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. Based on insights from Him, I made the answer into a hub. Please have a look...

<promotional link removed>

2. Renee Abbott profile image81
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

My way of seeing this is that the Cosmic Source knocked my back door down to wake me up. Those periods usually are being produced by my past thinking. I totally believe we create today. Yes, life happens, and events happen but it is how we respond to it. I have written many hubs on this. I lost everything of value, excluding my daughter. Material possessions are all gone, and their value never was significant. I loss homes, possessions, work, and faced homelessness. I met abusive men, who seem to been attracted to me. After losing everything, and living in a place of abuse by a sociiopath, I had to ask myself why did I hate myself so much to create such a reality. Hard question, but the answers were my saving grace. Took me two and half years to get where I am now. I like where I am. I live in the present, stop blaiming everything for what I created, stop reacting and most of all live in gratitude

Karma, another topic I write on a lot here, is simply cause and effect. Our thoughts are the cause and the events are the effects.
    Blessings to you. I know, trust me I do know how hard this is and you feel it never will end. The pain that is attached to it is unbelieveable. It is hard waking up, yet alone managing to make it through the day. You go into survivial mode and life is not surviving with you. You though are stronger than you think, and you will make it through it. If I can, and I did, anyone can. You just have to learn to reprogram your brain, another area i write on. I not trying to push hubs here, this is though the topic i write on frequently. I write on what I did to get through this. I went through almost 7 years of hell, and it took those last 2 and half to really put to work what I knew. I changed things, and it is hard, but this is not God punishing you, or karma hitting you. It is simply your beliefs and thoughts all jammed into your subconscious mind. The subconscious mind acts like a computer it is not for or against you. It acts solely on input in to output.

1. profile image0

I appreciate your post and am happy to hear you are in a better place.  I don't think we react the same to problems though. I have no  trouble waking up and jumping out of bed. There is too much on my plate to have the luxury of sleeping. Actually, I think I think I'm invincible. I do get frustrated and down, but my ego is large enough to keep me under the assumption that I'll find the best end of any dilemma. Although I've currently lost sight of the light at the end of the tunnel I have no doubt one exists. I'm just stumped as to why it flickered out. If you had any idea how many obstacles have surfaced out of no where you'd understand my current question. I think.

1. DoubleScorpion profile image77
        DoubleScorpionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Be careful looking for the light at the end of the tunnel...sometimes it is a train...and sometime when we can't see the light it simply means nothing more than it is nighttime. So get some sleep and start fresh in the morning.

3. Renee Abbott profile image81
    Renee Abbottposted 10 years ago

I am under the belief that life happens. Yes, I am well aware of what you are asking. I always believed life happens to you, majority by our own thinking, and other times it is called life. It for me is just is. It is not a God punishing a person, or karma. We have both good and bad, and always will. Good luck, Emile.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Random events will tend to cluster.  Uniform events would be a pattern more in need of explanation IMHO.

1. profile image0

I love that explanation, I have to admit I had to read it a few times to understand, but it makes perfect sense.

2. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are no random events. They just appear that way because you haven't seen the pattern yet.

1. profile image0

All events are random.

1. janesix profile image60

No they aren't. Events follow specific rules, parameters. How can you deny that?

1. profile image0

Like getting struck by lightning on a sunny day or perhaps winning the lottery or how about getting hit by a falling aircraft.

1. janesix profile image60

They still follow the laws of physics. Even if we don't know exactly what those laws are,and have only figured out small bits and peices of the laws of the universe so far.

1. profile image0

I guess if we are hit by debris from a fallen aircraft we should have examined the physics of everything flight path during a drive or a walk to make sure we are not directly under a flight path?

I guess to prevent childhood cancer we should screen out potential mates by examining their complete family history and DNA from each family member and take into account how any two sets of DNA might mix?

2. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Only in the macro world we're familiar with.  Apparently the subatomic world of quantum mechanics does not always operate under the "laws" of cause and effect.  Random events are the norm, not the impossibility.

3. profile image0

I can see that, to an extent. After a certain point where they keep happening it's a little hard to wrap my head around, but I'll keep telling myself that. It should help. Thanks.

1. profile image0

If the events were perfectly staggered out we would question that. But clusters are more random so it makes sense.

1. profile image0

I was actually attempting to be nice with that one. It doesn't explain some things. I know we find comfort in order and believing we have a good bead on things. I'm not afraid of the fact that some things (my current experiences included) don't fall into a neatly explained package. When I'm not cursing under my breath I actually enjoy the fact that I feel buffeted by the Fates. I don't actually believe I'm being buffeted by the Fates, but there is something definitely askew. It fascinates me.

1. profile image0

A few years back we lost two brothers in law (both not yet 40), a father in law, two moms and a grandmother all with about two years. 3 of those within about 6 months. Then nothing. What would be strange is if they where all exactly two years apart.

1. profile image0

Says you. smile

5. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

I believe bad luck is a challenge, which is to say we usually grow from challenges. One never really knows just how far they can push themselves until they've been challenged.

Through the years I've read and heard heartwarming stories such as both parents dying maybe a car accident and the poverty-stricken family is now headed up by the oldest son/daughter who may still be in grade school. Having gone through this ordeal they have managed to make a success out of themselves and their lives.

1. profile image0

Well, I do believe adversity is the greatest character builder, and humbling experience, available. I've heard the adage 'God only gives you what you can handle' and by that adage I would think God has a high regard for my level of tolerance. But, the truth is many of these problems wouldn't be problems had I not set my sites so high and weren't trying to accomplish a large goal for my family. So, I have to accept I have a high regard for my level of tolerance and endeavor to persevere.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's there, you're just not seeing it.

"had I not set my sites so high"
        by this statement you are saying you are challenging yourself.

1. profile image0

Uh, Yeh. I did say that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)