jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What is YOUR idea of eternity?  It is religious, cosmic, spiritual, mental, psychological or a combination thereof ?

1. 0
      Deepes Mindposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Please clarify this for me. Eternity simply refers to a span of time. Are you more referring to the events or scenarios that could occur within that span of time?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have already clarified the question at hand. You have stated YOUR idea of eternity,  however, do you believe in a concept of eternity beyond the scientific?

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
        A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

While you are quite correct in your definition, I think the OP was looking for the many philosophical characteristics of eternity, yes?

1. 0
          Deepes Mindposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh ok.. In that case, mine is purely mental because I no longer give any thought to eternity. When I was a kid, I was given an image of eternity.. When I grew up, I looked pack and wonder what the heck whoever gave me that image was smoking and what I was thinking for going along with it. Ultimately, I don't know for sure and cannot picture it, I simply don't worry about it anymore

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is spiritual.
      Yet it is the ultimate reality.
      I know that may not sound easy to understand, but it's how I look at it.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

Infinity (which includes the subset of infinite time, or eternity) is an interesting mathematical construct that sometimes is useful in the world of math.

In the reality we live in, though, it has no meaning.  In that respect it is a philosophical/religious concept that we often speak of as though it is real and exists, but it can only be an idea, a thought, without being real.  There are too many paradoxes connected with the concept for it to be real.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I am not sure "eternity" is meaningful.  I don't think anything can experience it if it does even exist (which I don't assume).

4. 0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

I personally think that eternity represents an observational position where the unique linear nature of time, as perceived by us, is nonexistent. I think the only way to perceive time in the manner we do is to function within this level so, once we cease to function on this level the question of eternity ceases to be perceived in the manner we now view it.

Basically, we don't have the observational position to adequately address the question. Any conclusions we attempt to arrive at are too myopic to firmly view as knowledge.