jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (48 posts)

Is "hate" a sin?

1. ThompsonPen profile image82
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

If we are to treat our neighbors kindly and the word of God and Jesus is a word of love, then is to hate a sin?

1. Claire Evans profile image88
      Claire Evansposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you hate evil then that most certainly is not a sin.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 3 years ago in reply to this

By your statement, then yes. I would say hate is considered sin.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If one loves oneself it is not possible to hate another.

4. JMcFarland profile image91
      JMcFarlandposted 3 years ago in reply to this

it's funny.  I must have been taught wrong all of those years that I was a believer.  I always thought it was "hate the sin, demonstrate love for the sinner by telling them they're going to roast forever, insulting, name-calling, hounding and annoying them through fear until they agree with you and repent/convert"

1. profile image0
        MysticMoonlightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

JMcFarland, your statement is so true that is not even funny! But it is funny at the same time in the way that you sure hit the nail on the head! I've seen this very thing done to people so many times, that if they disagree with Christians or believe differently in any way, they then are open target for needing conversion via any means necessary! I always find it shocking that people believe that if they do these things to unbelievers or sinners (in their eyes), or what have you, that it's going to HELP them!?! I understand that they think it's their duty, but it hardly spreads the word of love, welcome, and acceptance that they claim they are defending. I honestly believe that some Christians abuse this "right" and get a power kick out of feeling justified to judge and belittle others and use the Bible as their defense. I do not think that is what the Bible really teaches or was ever meant to be used in such manner and way. I just do not know why they cannot see that, to some or perhaps even many, their bashing, insulting, instilling fear helps no one and often pushes them away even more! Ugh, like nails on a chalk board to me! Thanks for the chuckle smile

2. profile image0
        Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

JM, Im curious. When you were raised in a missionary group, what were you taught was the motive for sharing the gospel? Have the believers you encountered on this site called you names or is this from a different experience?

1. JMcFarland profile image91

Beth, when I was in Africa, I was feeding, clothing and digging Wells for fresh water for people who had never heard the name Jesus before.

Evangelicals in America seem completely incapable of understanding or accepting that they're not actually teaching anyone (at least adults) anything.  We all know the story.  We've heard it a billion times.  WE just don't believe it.  Some people believe other religions, and that's okay to.  Repeating and proselytizing and saying the same thing over and over and over again is an annoyance, not a successful conversion tactic. 

And yes, I have been called some horrible names by some Christians on HubPages.  Repeatedly.

1. profile image0

I think that's lovely that you did that for the ppl of Africa, but what my question was, what did they tell you was the motive?

I'm sorry ppl have called you names. I don't understand that.

As far as hearing the same msg. over and over, the msg. doesn't really change so if you don't want to hear it, you have the option to avoid it.

The motive was to help and feed purple who were near starving.  Sharing the gospel was secondary.

You don't understand, Beth.  Every time I tel someone I'm an atheist, I get flooded with church invitations.  They immediately begin proselytizing.  They email, they call, they knock on my door.   I choose to have conversations in the forums, so I don't hold those attempts against anyone since I'm actively participating, but its not as easy to avoid as you suggest.

1. profile image0

I see.

2. profile image0
                Deepes Mindposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I didn't know colors could starve wink

Oh shut it.

Stupid phone

1. profile image0

I'm just saying, dear. I was confused for a second

2. profile image0

Actually, some messages can change depending on the definition of the word as well as the context of the situation in which the message is conveyed.

For example, If I say "Beth, You look hot," there are two possible messages I could be conveying. I could be saying either "Beth, you look like your body temperature appears to be elevated" or I could be saying "Beth, you look really attractive".

When you tell someone "Repent and believe or you're facing Hell", you feel that you are doing it out of love of your fellow man as in saying "I truly care for you and want you to get to heaven". However, to some of the atheists you are giving an angry threat and saying "You're gonna burn in hell for all of your sins". Which is why you are getting the comments of extortion from Rad Man and others.

Depending on your frame of mind and the conversation, it can be seen as a heartfelt warning done out of love or a judgmental threat done out of anger

1. profile image0

Let's go back to your first example...

1. profile image0

LOL... Done

3. A Troubled Man profile image62
              A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, that is not an option considering evangelists will force their beliefs upon us regardless, there is no getting away from it.

The only solution is for evangelists to shut up.

1. janesix profile image60
                janesixposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Why can't you get away from evangelists?

I think you are being dishonest ATM. I think you CAN avoid the evangelists very easily.

1. A Troubled Man profile image62
                  A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Because, they really, really, really want to be heard and will do pretty much anything to make sure they are heard, no matter how many folks don't want to hear them.

I await your solutions.

2. profile image0

There is a difference between being able to get away from evangelists and avoiding them altogether. In real life, it is difficult to avoid evangelists altogether because (depending on where you live) some evangelists (of various faiths) go knocking door to door on a weekly (if not more frequently)basis. Where I live, JW's visit every thursday, Mormons on Saturday, and tuesdays it varies. Then you have those people that randomly approach you on the street to evangelize to you. Barring that, you also have the churches that have purchased airtime on television. So realistically, one can't avoid them totally and live a functional life, but you can turn off the tv or express disinterest if approached and go along your way

1. janesix profile image60
                    janesixposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hmmm. I live out in the middle of nowhere, never had any of that happen. Except for the jw's and mormons. But they leave me alone now:)

2. Zelkiiro profile image83
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Most likely. And the vast majority of Conservatives are overflowing with it.

ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That was a bit of the point I was hoping to make wink

1. Silverspeeder profile image59
        Silverspeederposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh come on Liberals are haters as well.

of course! I fully agree! I don't have anything against conservatives, I just dislike it (hate maybe?) when the bible is used to justify hate, especially when it is a book which is meant to support love.

1. profile image0
            MysticMoonlightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So true, ThompsonPen. Well said.

2. Zelkiiro profile image83
          Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This may be true, but my (lack of) religion doesn't penalize me for doing so.

Nothing should! It's a personal journey to discover the path of love. The only one penalizing should be the self, and done so appropriately

working