The Concept of God

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. daeemomin profile image60
    daeemominposted 15 years ago

The Concept of God
    Maulana Wahiduddin Khan

We have the entire universe before us. We see it, we experience it, and so are forced to believe in its existence. Even when a man rejects the godhead, he still believes in theuniverse. But when and how did it come into being? Explaining its existence as the creation of God is no final answer--so it is generally held--since the very next question which arises is if God made the universe, then who made God?

Can we believe in a causeless universe and a causeles God? Belief in a causeless God as the Creator of all things has more logic to it, in this world of cause and effect, than belief in a causeless universe and a non-existent God. It is by believing in a causeless Creator that we save ourselves from believing in the impossibility of a causeless universe.

Belief in God seems to many to be a very strange thing. But disbelief is even stranger. Sometimes it is argued that belief must rest on proof. But, from the purely scientific standpoint, nothing in this world can be proved or disproved. So far as believing in anything is concerned, the option is not between the proved and the unproved, but between the workable and the non-workable.

For instance, scientists in general believe in the concept of gravity. They do so, not because of proof of its existence, but because of the demonstrable predictability of effects. They do not know why gravity has the effect it has, or how it came into existence. They simply accept its existence as a useful theory.

This is the case with all scientific concepts, and belief in them does not mean uncritical acceptance of established as opposed to unestablished ideas. It simply means believing in a working hypothesis as opposed to an unworkable theory. Exactly the same principle is applicable to the concept of God.

In the matter of gravity, the choice for us is not between matter with gravity and matter without gravity, but between matter with gravity and non-existent matter. Since the concept of non-existent matter is untenable, because unworkable, we have opted for matter with gravity. From the purely academic angle, the same is true of the -.concept of God.

The universe itself does not have the ability to create. It can neither increase nor decrease itself by so much as a particle. As with all other scientific concepts, we must choose not between the universe with God and the universe without God, but between God and a non-existent universe. Since a non-existent universe is unconceivable, we must perforce opt for the concept of the universe with God.

for more on this topic see this link:
    <promotional link snipped>

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

What an atrocious argument. I can boil it down in to one sentence:

"I cannot conceive of a universe that was not created by a magical, invisible super being, therefore it was created by one and I will call him god." big_smile

1. BDazzler profile image79
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And how is this different than, "I cannot concieve of a a universe that was created by God and therefore I will not-believe and call him an imaginary magical, invisible superbeing"?  smile

[Man Hug]

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah, but that is not what I am saying. I am saying this -

OK, there is a possibility that a god created the universe. But - there is no evidence for this and it is just as likely that the universe was vomited up by an enormous star goat after drinking too many gin and tonics. He just chooses not to show us him presence. Therefore the possibility that it was created by an invisible super being is just as likely as all the infinite number of other possibilities available.

On top of that, we now have proof that we were not created the way we are. We evolved. Doesn't sound like the work of an almighty creator to me. It sounds like a natural process much like all the other natural processes I can watch with my own eyes.

Even if the religions are now back peddling and saying that god started and had a hand in evolution. Which is nonsensical and makes evolution an unworkable theory.

Evolution by natural selection must happen naturally or the theory is worthless.

Why anyone would select the idea of an all powerful invisible super being as creating the universe from the infinite number of possibilities is beyond me. Unless they have an ulterior motive. And guess what? Ulterior motives abound in all their god given glory. big_smile

Common sense.

And in answer to your unspoken question - yes, most people's idea of god sounds exactly like a magical, invisible super being to me.

[Man hug and kisses on each cheek back lol]

3. Nickny79 profile image69
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

The argument by design is a valid, if not fool-proof (as we can see in this thread) argument.  Another way of thinking about it is that the universe demonstrates a degree of order and complexity that challenges the belief in a universe that is a mere mechanistic, ad hoc clustering of atoms.  How can swirls of star dust order themselves only by chance and transform themselves with regularity into complicated organism, ecosystems and even cities?  How does something so complex as the human body and the human mind arise from swirls of carbon and hydrogen and oxygen?  It's very easy for the complex to decay unaided to something more simple; but the opposite is not quite so easy in a universe governed by the law of entropy.  The transformation of chaos into order, the simple into the more complex, allows for the reasonable inference (if not the irrefutable deduction) that a higher, ordering intelligence may exist.  Now the step from this inference, to the dogmas of Christianity, Islam or Judaism, is a little bit more challenging and probably beyond the scope of human reason.  Nevertheless, it is equally dogmatic to assert that, because the dogmas of religion cannt be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, the only things that can exists are those object that can be perceived by the senses or ascertained by human reason.  A reasonable person must allow for a range of essences that are beyond the scope of the physical senses and human reason. To do otherwise is equally dogmatic and close-minded.

Well, to be fair to Mark, he did allow for the vomiting goat ... and Sandra did post those images of nebulas or stars made completey of alcohol ... so there is some evidence to support Mark's drunken goat theory.

Now, the truth is that Mark is of the "Gin and Tonic" dogma group, where as I, would say that it was everclear ... this very important distinction has caused a split in the church. ....

big_smile

Actually Nicky, I think intelligent design is more reasonable than "randomness" ... but I also think rationality is simply a more manageble form of insanity big_smile.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The argument for design is no more valid that the star goat. Evolution is anything but "random." As usual the argument for a god rests on :

Which is exactly what the entire argument for a god boils down to -

As for the dogma of religions lol lol

Oh Yeah!? ...[Sorry, I'm at work ... that's best I can come up with right now.]

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

They say that a man who talks to himself is either insane or a genuis.  I suppose if God had no one to talk to when He spoke the magic words and made things possible, He certainly must have been a genius. lol  smile

He could have had a momentary lapse of sanity though considering he might have made the alcohol clouds pure everclear in which case God didn't know it's effects cause He didn't speak what it would do yet....

So Marks theory of a vomiting goat could be true after all even a drunken God on everclear would have needed a ride home.  smile

But I totally agree with parts of the first post in that there is not even one particle, atom, quark or whatever that is not here that was here in the beginning.  They do not disapear (maybe only to our eyes) so it is completely logical to insist that there is a source ( I call it God) out there that like Nicky said, turns chaos into order.

Something that confines everything to this existence because for whatever reason...we cannot escape, we cannot unexist on our own and when you die, you may not be with us like we are when alive but everything else, absolutely everything else is ordered to be remade somehow...everything.

Something does not come from nothing and nothing doesn't come from something...to me that is God's territory.  Nothing could exist but there is no way I can completely understand existence in a non-existing world.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Nick on this one - The evidence leads me to believe that scientific 'rules' underlie the universe, including evolution. However, science cannot answer theological and philosophical issues. It can answer 'How' something works, but rarely the 'Why.'

Unfortunately, the ongoing debates between creationists and evolutionists masks this basic principle. If somebody asks including, 'Before the Big-Bang,' 'Where the Universe is going' and 'Why we are here,' then they are great questions, with plenty of room for discussion.

The minute that scripture starts flying about, I can no longer be arsed to debate. smile

3. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Surely, Spinoza--and not indicative of the American creationist idea of intelligent design?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)