jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Joel Osteen? Christian or New Age Prophet

1. Nickny79 profile image86
    Nickny79posted 7 years ago

I listen to Mr. Osteen on occasion and notice that his preaching seems remarkably inspired by New Age material.  I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  I am particularly interested in hearing from the Christian members of our community.

2. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Ah, poor Nick.  Nobody answered your little post, wink.

Seriously, Osteen kind of sucks--sorry.  Seemed fake and corny, as did his wife, when I saw them on CNN. I find New Age stuff, uh, lacking...

I'd be interested in seeing what you think of John O'Donohue:

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/37 … _us?page=1

1. Nickny79 profile image86
      Nickny79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm impressed that Mr. O'Donohue went to the University of Tübingen.  It has a long theological tradition.  He makes a good point about Rumi.  I also agree that a lot of the popularized New Age stuff leaves much to be desired.  Other than that, I don't have much of an opinion otherwise.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In Osteen's defense, he is corny and new agey, but at least he doesn't attack gays and people who support stem cell research, etc. He sticks to pretty non-controversial topics, at least in the few times I've watched him on television. I suspect most Evangelicals would find his version of Christianity pretty watered down. However, that's good as far as I'm concerned. The more watered-down the better!

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Fair enough. 

I came across one of Donohue's books--Beauty--a while ago, lol, when confronted with somewhat vacuous artists in grad school being praised for what I would term as 'the emperor has no clothes art'--oh, that of Tracy Emmons; especially Dean Koons (who I loathe).  Those who rather suck off the pendulum--swing (for it is reoccuring throughout a long history)  of the arts towards 'activism', for lack of a better term, and who would use that for basically, shyster-ism.

He seemed to have looked at the problem a little in depth, similar to his analysis of the religion crisis in the west.

There is a big difference between those practitioners, in my opinion, and in that of a few others, and the work of modern--and even most postmodern--artists.  Incidentally, most abstract artists or painters, since you don't seem to know, are actually considered rather 'regressive' by postmodern standards (as painting has been 'dead' for a while, ie), and considered formalists.  At least, that is what I've have been called, lol.

So, OK...  Now you can take that with you to Chelsea or wherever.  smile

.... I might also say that it perhaps takes an education in the arts to really be able to see, perhaps, what I'm saying.  Your preference, I take it, for figurative art is simply a preference at this point in time and as the art world stands--as there are plenty artists working in this mode.  Whether or not your taste is an educated preference, however, is entirely another matter ....as is,lol, any reaction towards any particular work.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'd never heard of John O'Donohue so I googled him and here's a link to a BBC interview with him In case anybody's interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programme … ohue.shtml

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Yeah, Ralph--

I was impressed--religion, yeah..  But also his take on what the age old idea of 'beauty' can mean in today's society and most obviously, to artists or writers.

Can't tell you how many of us were just sick to death at the 'isms' being shoved down our throats in art school.  (Just because we are current doesn't mean we should embrace everything--equally, I do not mean clinging to any misbegotten notion of 'realism' as the only acceptable form of art or endorsing censorship.)