jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How do you picture, Jesus?

1. jstfishinman profile image79
    jstfishinmanposted 3 years ago

Jesus, was a carpenters son, so He most likely learned that trade and worked in it till His ministry started at age 30.
        I have never cared for Hollywoods version of Jesus, to tall and too skinny. I picture Jesus as about 5'9" tall, brown eyes, short black curly hair, olive complected, with a stocky, muscular build. My reasoning is, carpenters in the first century used much bigger lumber than we do today. The hours were sun up to sun down.
        Jesus, to not only withstand the punishment and crucifixion, but all the traveling He did.
      How do you picture, Jesus?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The Bible doesn't mention much about Jesus's outward appearance.
      This verse in Isaiah could be referring to his outward appearance and/or his status in life as a common rabbi,  or even (along with the succeeding verses) his appearance on the Cross after being beaten and bleeding.

Isaiah 53: 2:

"For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground:  he hath no form or comeliness;  and when we shall see him,  there is no beauty that we should desire him."

I take that to mean that he was nothing special in appearance,  was ordinary-looking or perhaps even considered ugly by many............

I will admit that I usually picture Him as very compelling in appearance.   But that's so mixed in with my understanding of His very compelling words and wisdom and Spiritual stature as what I know Him as (the Son of God!)  that it doesn't seem to matter how I picture him physically.   For example,  if I were to picture Him as a handsome tall man,  it wouldn't register any physical desire for Him because I know He is Holy and not an object of earthly desire anyway.

2. jstfishinman profile image79
    jstfishinmanposted 3 years ago

Brenda, Jesus for me is always difficult to picture. I know that there was a charisma with Him that drew people to Him, both good people and those that wanted to trap Him.
    To draw an Alpha-male like Peter, Jesus had to be quite the man. Yet, little children loved Him.
    I just never cared for Hollywoods version. Thank you for sharing yours!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Some sources say he had dark eyes and dark hair. He was, after all, a Mid Eastern man. The image on the shroud of turin comes to mind. That was a negative of his image.  Can the positive be created from it?

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting. Can you name 10 of these sources please? The Turin shroud is a fake.

4. A Troubled Man profile image60
    A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago

Indonesian Jesus

Japanese Jesus

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

I picture him wearing a New York Yankees jersey and a Devo "Energy Dome" hat.

...but I'm probably the only one.

6. safiq ali patel profile image72
    safiq ali patelposted 3 years ago

I think I picture him as Jesus looks in popular Christian art. For example similar to the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio. I also feel Jesus is powerful and can therefore manifest as the face of every human being. If god is all things then Jesus can look like a Rose too....0

7. ologsinquito profile image93
    ologsinquitoposted 3 years ago

As a kind merciful Savior with a smile that should melt even the hardest of hearts. A very likable guy.