jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Near death experiences result from electrical surges in brain, not God

1. LauraGT profile image86
    LauraGTposted 3 years ago

Many speak of near death experiences as proof of God or proof of life after death.

A new British study demonstrates that near death experiences are the function of brain activity.

What do you think?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sounds a little like a report I've seen, where someone built a mesh "helmet" capable of producing magnetic waves in specific locations.

Test subjects in a darkened room reported a feeling of being watched when a particular area or the helmet was powered up and producing magnetic waves.  Almost to a person, believers reported a feeling of being watched by God as long as the current was on.  Remove the current and "God" went away, too.

2. A Troubled Man profile image62
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That has to be the result of brain activity, or in the case of near death experiences, the result of brain inactivity. If the brain is traumatized, the person is not able to consciously understand what they are experiencing, let along comment on it later on.

3. 0
      riddle666posted 3 years ago in reply to this

So what is new?

4. moonlake profile image88
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My friend had a near death experience. She didn't see God she saw Satan for a long time she had a hard time getting over that and asking why she didn't see God.
      I don't know what I believe. I would like to believe people actually see the other side because I believe in the other side.

5. Peggasuse profile image88
      Peggasuseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've read that article about the research that was done, but it really doesn't prove the non-existence of God or the non-existence of an afterlife.  All it proves is that after death in rats, there is an electrical surge.  What does that have to do with what the being really goes through, after it's body dies?

The article says, "We know precious little about brain activity during death, let alone conscious brain activity."  So the researcher is admitting that science doesn't really know much this subject.

I dare say that much, MUCH more research has to be done before anyone can come to any important scientific conclusion.

2. 0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

I think, the ability to cause an experience, or replicate something, would not necessarily negate the possibility that something else could trigger the same, or that some  purported experiences are not real.   

Not saying I believe in NDE, but neither do I see cause to rule them out entirely.

3. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 3 years ago

Of course there would be a surge of electical activity in the brain. Why does that negate God? Bit of a leap of logic there.

1. LauraGT profile image86
      LauraGTposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It gives a biological explanation for what people experience in these situations.  People seeing light or having flashes becomes a biological event, not a proof point for the existence of a god.

1. janesix profile image73
        janesixposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sure. But it doesn't disprove God either. Why shouldn't spiritual events result in biological effects?