Atheist Quotes

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church.
    An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said.
    An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death.
    He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated.
    Madalyn Murray O'Hair

big_smile

1. Lady Guinevere profile image67
      Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Be ye doers.......
      Thanks Mark!

2. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why? What's the motivation?

Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Internal motivation. No fear of hell involved. It is just the right thing to do.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Voltaire.

1. livelonger profile image86

Why is it the right thing to do? Where does the internal motivation come from?

Me big_smile

I think you're taking too much credit. wink

LOL

Can't argue with that. I am sure there have been numerous influences. Including the good bok, seeing as I had it drummed into me as a youngster. But - I am the final arbiter, rather than saying "Oh, well - if it says that I must obey it."

It does seem the case that people who internalized the more moral lessons of their faith seem capable of moving past religion, while those who apparently don't have a moral bone in their body need daily instruction from a preacher (who usually gets it wrong, anyway)...

I believe it is called "thinking for yourself." big_smile

2. Lady Guinevere profile image67

Well Mark, tell me how long you think that you can just sit and do nothing....then tell me how long you can actually sit and do nothing.

Then tell me how long it takes for you body to stop screaming for you to get up off your arse and take a piss in the bathroom LOL..that is motivation for ya!! LOL

3. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This seems to promote theism (or anti-atheism!). Why do that? I equate religion with golf - it's a pursuit, no more, no less. People need hospitals whether or not they believe in God or play golf (or both). Fight them and they grow stronger. Have you ever tried shutting down a golf course (or banning hunting with hounds)? In time, irrational pursuits fade away, naturally. But not through force,

I disagree. If no one speaks out against it, it will not fade away. I am not blind to the resurgence of nationalism and religionism, and I feel the need to speak out against it. Albeit using another's words this time.

History teaches us that irrational pursuits do not fade away, naturally. They require people that speak out against them.

Not so long ago - you would have been forced to play golf every Sunday morning. If not for those that spoke out against it. big_smile

1. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think nationalism and religionism in the U.S. have fused in a way they maybe haven't in other countries (at least not recently). We could have fascism so easily here--especially if (when) the stimulus package fails and things get a lot worse, which I think will happen. They will get a lot worse. At that point, when the 2012 election rolls around, if it isn't showing signs of getting better it could get very ugly.

The US is probably ahead of the game, but I see it happening all over the world. The atheist bus campaign in the UK is more about the resurgence of private, religious schools that have been allowed to take on some of the responsibilities of the state and teach religion-based "facts."

The local major of the town I live in in France gave a speech a few weeks ago, and talked about the "difficulties," of integrating some immigrants here - because they do not go to church every Sunday. He mentioned the Israelis and the Protestants (he is conservative catholic) but was looking at the North Africans (Muslims).

There have been riots recently all over the world, much of it caused by protectionism, nationalism and religionism.

I don't want to go down that road.

It will fail if you are thinking it will fail.  If we actually do support our president instead of making things impossible for him and work against him then we only get what we put out!  I did not vote for him, but that is past and we need to get on with it instead of complaining about it.

No. You are being lied to. The hole is much, much bigger than you are aware of. Just think about the BS you have been fed by the church........... Same thing. Believe and you will be OK lol

I don't go to church but only on occasion to be support for my husband in an official status.  Most of the info I get all this from my husband who goes to church like if he didn't he would surely die!  He brings the church bulletins home and I read them.  They have the homilies in them.
                I didn't say it was all going to be OK--certainly not because there are way too many people who are different in experiences and theories and even to how they tie their shoes.  My last post was about the church.

3. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
            VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think fascism will never take roots in USA even if nationalism and religionism have fused and even if the stimulus package fails. If that package fails, why not other better packages? Is fascism the only alternative to failures?  I think USA will overcome all its worries before 2012 elections. If not, the next man will do it.  Did USA gain its superiority suddenly?  Did it not struggle hard for decades to overcome recessions before? Why so hurry to come to a negative conclusion?

4. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This must be wrong!
      According to you (Mark), faith and "believes(ing)" are not atheistic phrases!(or words to be used)
      You must be rebelling against some of your own here. lol

lol

Do I really need to explain the difference between believing that a hospital is more use than a church and believing in an invisible, magical super being? big_smile

5. johnb0127 profile image61
      johnb0127posted 15 years agoin reply to this

God will deal with all of this!  Not us...

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Cause s/he just likes it this way smile

I didn't mean to ignore you!  I forgot where it was you said this.  Happens way too often!

Anyway...yeah hahahaha!!

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.
    --Don Hirschberg

Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it.
    --Woody Allen

smile

4. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

We don't have to believe in a higher power to want to make the world a better place for others. smile

"We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all."

5. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Well, we hugely strengthened the fox-hunting lobby in UK recently by attempting to ban them by act of parliament. Pity, because we were slowly winning by ignoring and/or gently satirising them. And on a more serious note, fighting the IRA was a complete failure. Talking to them (aka patronising the silly little tough boys) was far more effective.

You see me with a gun and a bomb? No. I am using words, sarcasm, and a little fun.

Dialogue. It's the only way. big_smile

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know, I know...  I only suggest that some positions are so untenable that to argue against them is to do them the unmerited service of acknowledgment wink  E.g. the flat earthers or the six-thousand year-ists !

LOL

There is something to be said for that, but I am genuinely worried about the rise of the religion schools in the UK. Who teach the 6,000 year old no-such-thing-as-evolution curriculum.

Plus - I am not really talking to the people I speak to. These are open forums and anyone can stop by and read them. Education - its a wonderful thing. big_smile

I see the same thing here in my community.  When the election debates were going on and they kept telling us that the Catholics weren't trying to persuade voters,---that is a blatant lie!  They were handking out pamplets to everyone in the church and those outside the church.  It's all propganda controlling the MIND of the populous---just like they did in the first centuries of the Catholic church!  Rome did not fall--it is in Catholicism!  They wanted the world and they are trying to get it by mind control!

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
              Quilligrapherposted 15 years agoin reply to this

M'Lady,

I found your comments about events in your community quite interesting, Lady G.  They prompted me to reply, not because I disagree with what you said, but because I detected an inconsistency I thought worthy of mention.

I am probably the least qualified, and even less inclined, to defend the Catholic Church in this or any other issue.  You told us that during the election debates an unidentified "they" kept telling you that the Catholics weren't trying to persuade voters and you felt "they" were lying. I truly respect your opinion and you are welcome to it.

However, I view election debates, whethr they be public, private, organized, or impromptu, as a process in which parties on all sides of an issue attempt to persuade those with opposing views to change their perspective.  Whether we are (a) motivated  by the persuit of the common good, or (b) eager to aquire self gain, or (c) both of the above, as members of a healthy, thriving democracy, we are encouraged to join in the debate to what ever degree may suit us.  By so doing, we exercize our constitutional right to advocate our opinions and to try to convince others to agree with us.

Hense, I consider the promotion of all viewpoints, from all persons, groups, and institutions as equal to my own whether I agree or not.  I hesitate to refer to any faction's efforts to express a political opinion as mind control.  Nor would I label any means to communicate one's views as propaganda unless I was prepared to label my own political expression as such. In fact, these very comments are propaganda and every reader is free to agree or to reject them at will. 

By the way, I like you profile picture. wink

Q.

Thanks for the comment on the picture.  I think I missed your point in your post.  Can you say it in one or two sentences?

6. Pest profile image78
    Pestposted 15 years ago

The Lutheran church down the road just built a new $8million brainwashatorium.  My son is 14 and I know the school needs new computers and other supplies.  Pisses me off...the town here has a whopping population of no more than 700 people!  I could go on about the needs of the community...

7. profile image52
    MarkH45posted 15 years ago

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God. -- Heywood Broun

In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners. --Jonathon Miller

It amazes me to find an intelligent person who fights against something which he does not at all believe exists. --Mohandas Gandhi

Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist. --C. S. Lewis

Atheism is a crutch for those who cannot bear the reality of God. -- Tom Stoppard

You think you are too intelligent to believe in God. I am not like you. --Napoleon Bonaparte

The worst moment for the atheist is when he is really thankful, and has nobody to thank.--Dante Gabriel Rossetti

If there were no God, there would be no atheists. --G.K. Chesterton

Humanism or atheism is a wonderful philosophy of life as long as you are big, strong, and between the ages of eighteen and thirty-five. But watch out if you are in a lifeboat and there are others who are younger, bigger, or smarter. --William Murray

I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is no God.--Abraham Lincoln

If there were no believers pushing god, we would all be atheists. - M. Knowles big_smile

8. profile image52

Nobody talks so constantly about God as those who insist that there is no God. -- Heywood Broun

If you would like I could keep posting this same message.... smile

No - I understand that you probably believe that if you keep on repeating the same thing over and over it will magically come true, but I hate to disappoint you.

Why is it a problem for you that I do not believe? Why does it scare you so?

And I have no issue with god - he does not exist. Stop telling me he does and I will shut up. big_smile

..and no one talks so much of Satan and loves to instill FEAR in others who do not see things the same was as they do as someone who believes there is a God...................me

9. profile image52

I'm not telling you to believe in God. I'm not scared for you. I just pity you.

You treat people like garbage throughout the forums and I see the type of hubs you create which are filled with hate and contempt towards anyone who doesn't believe in what you believe and I pity you...

1. profile image52
      MarkH45posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes you get what you deserve and I'm sure someday you will. I hope people start crapping on you like you crap on everyone in the forums.

An eye for an eye fan then? How very christian of you. lol

Edit - on a more serious note - I am genuinely interested as to your motivation to writing a hub full of anti-atheist quotes.

It works both ways there you know.  You do know that you are talking a bit of Karma and Karmic debts.  You also don't realy know Mark that well to say those things.  What you don't understnad you call names and wish evil too.  Just stop the nonsense and get to understand and you will gain wisdom----it don't work the other way around and Jesus says that!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Please feel free to leave a link to one of these hubs that are filled with hate and contempt.  As for the pity, you know where you can put that. big_smile

10. needful things profile image64
    needful thingsposted 15 years ago

Hahahahaha!!! Another fun thread to read... opens my eyes to new ideas...

11. ram_m profile image60
    ram_mposted 15 years ago

I think I'm the odd man out
    I'm not a thiest
    I'm not an athiest
    I'm an agnostic
    But I feel Mark's belief 'Thinking for yourself' is correct. Something which i feel we are either lazy or afraid of doing. One thing I'm sure, IF there is a God, and we happen to meet him,  face to face some day, he  is certainly not going to be sympathetic to our complaint 'Lord you did not answer by prayers". Why should he when he has given us a brain of which we use just 3-4 percent. Surely the creator has many other things to do than answer the wail of an inefficient homo sapien incapable of using the grey matter .smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)