jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

I got a problem. Being a Preacher man has issues. But my Boy??

1. Ericdierker profile image79
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

Son of a preacher man. I just have problems with this notion. My wife seems OK and my older children OK. But what about a boy being raised as the son of a Preacher man. That has got to be tough. I speak in metaphors and quote scripture while playing soccer. He seems to like it now and hugs are more important now than lectures.

But he is free to choose. But with a Preacher man dad. I worry for him. I am big and tough and authoritative. But he must be him. I pray.

What say you?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Simple. When you are with him, don't preach.

I'm a designer, I design while I'm working and don't talk about it when I'm with my boys. I also don't bring up religion with them unless they bring it up.

Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well stated. I do problem resolutions all day long and do not speak of that. But our faith stuff is more permeable. It is like it is in your fingers and breath.

But my elder children beat what you say into my head and maybe it is working.

2. Zelkiiro profile image83
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

I'm not entirely sure what the question is...

It is all well and good to preach. - but it has impact on others. How can one temper that so as not to force a child into a thought.

3. christopheranton profile image79
    christopherantonposted 3 years ago

I don't really think it matters, if his Dad is the Last of the Catfished Headed Slime Monsters, so long as he is a good Dad, is there when he is needed and leads by loving example, rather than constant nagging. I think you are a good Dad. You have little to worry about.

How did you know he calls me catfish head?

1. christopheranton profile image79
        christopherantonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I must be psychic. Does he really call you that?

We have Cat and Rat in our fish tank. They are catfish. "Basa" - farmed catfish from Vietnam is like a staple, and in the top ten for their exporting. His grandpa raised them in a canal in Cu Chi

4. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image59
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 3 years ago

Just don't overdo it or force him to listen. I think having a religious upbringing is wonderful. I'm sure he'll be alright and probably better for it.

working