Homo Sapiens...the exceptional and sensational specie?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (59 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image61
    A.Villarasaposted 10 years ago

EXCEPTIONAL--- a word that humanists, of all colors and stripes, unreservedly applies to Homo Sapiens. However, in  the  atheist's  world, Homo Sapiens is neither exceptional, nor for that matter---sensational, despite  ample evidence to the contrary. So what gives?

Is it because in the process of denying the existence of a Sublime Creator, atheists would rather not be caught  dead mystifying  the creation of Homo Sapiens?

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't your religion tell us we are all worthless evil sinners? Doesn't your religion deny the existence of altruism and compassion each human being possesses?

A.Villarasaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@ATM:
        My religion does nothing of the sort you are saying it does. I must tell you this...your  anti-religionist ranting is  paradigmatic and reflective of  the total flaccidity/ fatuity  of atheistic thinking.

No, you don't have to tell me that.

So, what does your religion say about human beings? Can you show me in your scriptures where the words "exceptional and sensational" describe us?

@ATM:

Doesn't  the statement: :" God created man in his own image" enough to convince you that   humans are indeed exceptional and sensatioal?

Ah, thanks for clarifying that and confirming no such words are in scriptures describing humans and that this thread was yet another fabrication from thin air, with the intention to start fights with atheists.

Will you also continue to stand by your denial that humans are sinners according to your religion?

@ATM
                "...intention to start fights with atheists" is hardly my reason for posting this specific topic on the forum section. Now a debate would be more appropriate, but  unhappily, your idea of a debate is you hurling indeterminate, inchoate, malformed, and misinformed statements.

There's no other reason why you would post false information targeting atheists other than to start a fight. That's obvious.

2. profile image0
                  Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You want to debate, but anyone who disagrees with you are hurling indeterminate, inchoate, malformed, and misinformed statements.

Some debate.

If you think ATM's post is worth my engaging him in a debate... you are sadly mistaken.

2. Paul K Francis profile image84
      Paul K Francisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I find all life exceptional. We may be the most exceptional of the bunch with our ability to understand and wonder, and perhaps there is more exceptionality down the road; a more exceptional us. Advanced technologies alone will not bring this about; it can only happen when we finally learn how to be at peace with one another. Have a nice day.

When man's ego is finally tamed, then that's the time to talk about "peace with one another". Thus for humanity  peace could only be a pipe-dream unless we go back to the once enviable uncomplicated/unencumbered sense of self-esteem  that once pervaded and ruled  our psyche.

2. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Personally I find nearly ALL animals exceptional in some way or another.  The eagle with it's eyesight, the polar bears smell, the sea turtle's immune system, the elk's hearing, the shark's extra senses, the electric eel's ability to biologically create electricity, etc.  Most species have something that makes them better than any other animal.  Even humans, who have an intelligence apparently unequaled by any other animal.

Do you disagree?  Is not the eagle exceptional for it's vastly superior eyesight?  Does not the human have a sensational intelligence, superior to any other animal?

1. profile image0

I guess if we define intelligence as in only human intelligence (IQ tests) then we can say humans have superior intelligence to other animals. But some whales and dolphins may find our geographical awareness and communication rather lacking.

Crap, we are not even evolved enough to have sonar (echolocation).

Crap, my dog has a better understanding of both human and dog body language.

Crap, I walk behind my dog waiting for him to poop so I can pick it up.

Crap, the bowhead whale lives for 211 years. They hit the evolutionary jackpot.

@radman

Your post just reinforced my assertion that atheistic extrapolation and interpretation is flaccid and fatuous.

1. profile image0

Your post just reinforced my assertion that theistic extrapolation and interpretation is flaccid and fatuous.

Notice how meaningless that sentence was?

wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Even humans, who have an intelligence apparently unequaled by any other animal."

I did use that term specifically because we can't measure the intelligence of a different species.  I would say that man was the only one smart enough to learn to use fire, but either dolphins OR whales might (appropriately) point out that environment just might have a bearing on that.

2. A.Villarasa profile image61

@wilderness
      I fully agree with you're  saying specially the last sentence.

When it comes to creationary/evolutionary imposition specialization is the ultimate goal or result, thus the eagle with the superior eyesight, the polar bear with superior olfactory function, or the human with the sensational cerebral capacity. Is human intelligence purely/solely due to random events in their evolutionay cycle? I doubt it.

I would agree with you, but of course, evolution is not about random events.

There is no indication to the contrary, any more than there is to the number of ofactory receptors in the bears nose or the "design" of the eagle's eye (and yes, I've read the nonsense about "irreducible complexity" of the eye).

So there is no more reason to find humans exceptional than there is any other animal.  You can certainly doubt as you see fit, but there is no reason to do so.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

I scratch my head when atheists go on about how unexceptional we are.  Can the eagle see as far as a man can see with a telescope? I doubt a whale or a dolphin would be unimpressed with our GPS, or communication systems.

Crap, a bat would give money for our sonar capabilities.

Crap, we understand dog language better than dogs understand ours.

I will say, rad man's dog probably thinks he is higher inn the pack than raff man is. I would, if the guy was waiting to clean up after me.

Yep. We are uniquely unique. Anyone who thinks otherwise is ignoring the obvious. Imo.

1. profile image0

HA Ha ha ha hah. Thanks Emile, that's why I love you.

2. Paul K Francis profile image84
      Paul K Francisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The eagle, the bat, and the dolphin may be making fun at us that we have to invent things they already have, yet on the other hand, we are able to create things that mimic the talents of multiple living wonders, including flight, and the ability to travel on and below the surface of the sea, just to mention a few. This is truly exceptional. And I really think that dogs do understand what we are saying; they just don't give a ...crap - 'blah, blah, blah; shut up and feed me'!     Crap... I gotta go. Have a nice day.

@Paul:
        Our creativity is what  has made us exceptional, in all fields of sentient endeavours, and it is this creativity that will ultimately "slign-shot" us to our destiny of unraveling the mysteries of the universe. None of the other earthly sentient beings come close. Now atheists may continue to downplay our achievements, but I suppose they are just being true to their utter  mendacity to all things physical and material. Creativity, someone more attuned than I reminded me years ago,  has spiritual  and  ethereal underpinnings.

1. profile image0

You are over estimating our creativity. This coming from a professional artist should tell you something. Very few human ever show any creativity, what makes us humans exceptional and successful is our ability to share the creativity when it does happen. If we were unable to share creativity we would still have people in search of the perfect wheel. You type on a computer you bought from someone willing to share that creativity for a price.

The vast majority of us live our entire lives without ever having a creative thought. I know something about creativity, I spend my day being creative on a computer I bought with software and fonts I bought and sometimes fonts I created using software I bought from inspiration and photos that sometimes I buy and sometimes photos I take using the camera I bought.

Good for you that you have a creativist soul. Now granted that some if not most of the rest of humanity  jusr were not blessed with the same creative predisposition  that you  have. It does not mean that  they are not living their lives creatively... in their  efforts to survive the mundane  and the grind of daily living.

1. profile image0

I suppose you are correct in that inventing an all powerful loving creator in your mind to help you through life can be seen as creativity.

Of course.

4. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Aside from being the (likely) most intelligent animal on the planet, what advantageous traits do humans have, again?

Physical strength? LOL. A cow is more powerful, by far. Let's not even try to compare ourselves to horses, bison, wolves, or tigers, because it would just be embarrassing.

Physical ability? Are you high? We can barely walk efficiently, let alone run, jump, swim, or climb. Humans are wobbly and awkward and the exact opposite of dexterous.

Good reproduction? Nope, unless women have somehow managed to birth thousands of children at once since I last checked. Insects and fish have us beat by a long shot.

Our longevity? Well, we do fairly well here, but we're still beaten out by tortoises and jellyfish and waterbears.

Defense mechanisms? Let me put it this way: No human has ever won a fist fight with a bear. Unless your name is Takamura and you exist in a work of fiction. Case closed.

1. profile image0

Every animal has unique qualities that help it survive within it's environment. Humans are no different, we've made some sacrifices for our active brain, for instance we need to eat often because of the energy out always active brains use.

But what make us successful is our ability to share ideas with one another. I'd be hard pressed to build a house or car or a computer on my own, so I paid others with money I made with doing what I'm good at for the things that keep me warm and safe.

Careful there - over the long haul there are few animals a human cannot outrun.  A horse, for instance, stands no chance over a 50 mile run.

1. profile image0

The problem is very few humans can still run 50 miles.

I funny that we admire the sprinters in sports when human sprinter can't compare to most animals, but our ability to sweat can have us chase down animals until they give up from heat exhaustion.

1. wilderness profile image95

Odd, isn't it?

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Odd? Or exceptional and sensational.

1. profile image0

It is exceptional, but what is odd is we value the sprinters in sports more then the endurance athletes. How many of us know the name of the best marathon runner?

1. profile image0

Um, we know the sprinters because it's over fast. We don't get aside tracked between the start and end if the race. Who wants to sit around and watch a whole marathon?

1. profile image0

People sit around and watch an entire football, or baseball game.

1. profile image0

Well, I never understood the baseball thing. Too slow. Football though is another thing entirely. It's pretty fast paced. Definitely,  not  a marathon.

Odd that we fawn over the sprinters which are mediocre at best (amongst all animals) and ignore the marathoners that are the best in the world.

3. A.Villarasa profile image61

@Zelkiero:
      And yet despite all our perceived weaknesses, humans have dominated and continues to dominate earth, ever since our hominid precursors started to be creative in terms of being able to adjust, (fast and furious, in cosmic time)  to the  evolutionary demands that  mother nature  have imposed on us.

1. profile image0

Please remember that there are still parasites, viruses and other animals that feed upon us and we are out numbered by a great many creature. Why are so many Christians so arrogant?

bwahaha... so sound like a child  lost and drowning in a sea of sorrow. i could not imagine how you survived so long with all those nasty creatures ready to pounce on you till you die a slow and agonizing death.

1. profile image0

My cousins' 7 year old just passed away from leukaemia. A rather painful experience even with morphine. How does that fit into your perfect universe made just for us?

The universe  unfortunately  is   not all glory and  joyful excitation.  And to conclude that  it  is unfit for  human  consideration and habitation, because  human suffering occurs is just delusion on a grand scale.

1. profile image0

It's not my claim the earth is unfit for humans, I believe it was your claim that it was made for humans, I'm simply showing you that that's not the case. Humans are treated no differently than any other creature on the planet. So special rules or safeguards for us.

I agree that there are no special rules or safeguards for us. As I said humans might be the only specie on earth that could sel-terminate their existence, via multiple atomic  fireballs.

It sure isn't all glory.  The large majority of the earth IS unfit for human habitation, and while humans to inhabit perhaps 20% of the planet, much of that is hostile enough that humans never develop their potential without help from people from environments more suitable for human development. 

The deserts of the near east, the frozen poles, the top of mountain ranges, the jungles of the equator; none have produced much beyond survival.  Humans do best in a pretty narrow range of temperatures, food, air, etc.

1. profile image0

With about 70% of the earths surface being water and about 96% of the earths water being in the oceans, I think we can safely say the earth was designed for whales.

I believe you will find more tons of plankton than anything else. 

Whatever it might be, though, it is pretty obvious it wasn't designed for man.

Yes, we dominate the land (not so much air or especially sea) and have done so for around 10,000 years.

Compared to the shark, who has been master of it's habitat for 400,000,000 years that isn't saying so much.  Even the Crocodile, at 200,000,000 years, has dominated it's environment for 20,000 times as long as man.

It is saying a lot that humans do have the capability and capacity to eradicate the shark's existence into kingdom come,,, and yet have not done so. What does that say about the precariousness of  existence. T rex and his ilks dominated the earth for millions of years, and in one clean swoop, mother nature "decided " to end their existence... giving mammals (including our specie)  their chance to dominate.

Humans despite their exceptionalism or maybe because of it, may become the only specie that  could self-terminate... in multiple atomic explosions.

I don't think man could eradicate the shark if he tried.  Not, at least, without destroying the ability of the oceans to support life.

Yep - Big Mama Nature kicked 'em off the planet for good.  And could do so for the upstart "Man" anytime she wants to.

4. A.Villarasa profile image61

@Zelkiiro:

Case closed? I'm sorry to say this but your post just does not make a case, any more than a slug/snail could make a case that he is the fastest animal on earth.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)