jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Mormon Boy Scout Leaders

1. A Troubled Man profile image60
    A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago

Boy scout leaders destroy natural rock formation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGBOLYijLF8

SALT LAKE CITY –  Two Utah Boy Scout leaders who purposely knocked over an ancient desert rock formation in a state park say they've received death threats since a video of the toppling went viral.

In the video shot by Dave Hall of Highland, fellow Scout leader Glenn Taylor pushes a large boulder from its delicate perch, sending it tumbling down a small embankment as the men cheer and high-five.

Hall said they've received more than 100 online death threats from people who disapproved of their Oct. 11 action in Goblin Valley State Park. The central Utah park is dotted with thousands of the eerie, mushroom-shaped sandstone formations.

"I've gotten death threats from people in Germany and Spain and New Zealand ... I mean hundreds and hundreds of hateful messages," Hall told the Deseret News.

Hall and Taylor are leaders of a Varsity Scout team for boys ages 14 and 15 sponsored by their Mormon church ward in Highland."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/19/bo … ient-utah/

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Death threats are a serious over-reaction -- but their lack of sensitivity to exactly where they were and how they should behave is pretty astounding. 

I reminds me of a recent video where tourists in New Zealand shot and killed endangered native birds and then celebrated it. People were pretty angry about it.

People should not just travel around destroying things for their own amusement.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Then again, we don't really know that they ever received any death threats.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That too.  They have put out various stories to try and explain and mitigate what they did.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
        A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hilarious that, isn't it, as if we are supposed to feel sorry for them, that they are the victims here.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

The subject line for this thread should read "MORON Boy Scout Leaders."

Looks like they forgot the Scouts' "Leave No Trace" rule - wherever you visit, you take only photographs and leave only footprints.

I'm a den leader in my son's Cub Scout pack and some of the other parents and I were discussing this video at our weekly meeting yesterday. As far as we're concerned, these doofuses should've known better and they deserve whatever's coming to them.

1. SmartAndFun profile image91
      SmartAndFunposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree. My kids were both in scouting when they were younger and this rule was huge: always have respect for the natural environment and leave the site in better shape than when you arrived. That was scouting 101. Those scout leaders apparently really are morons.

2. GA Anderson profile image86
      GA Andersonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You nailed that one Freddy! +++

And as already mentioned, they looked even more moronic trying to justify it as removing potential fatal hazards to hikers.

GA

4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

And now the one who pushed over the rocks was in the middle of applying for disability insurance. It gets better and better.

working