jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Reincarnation: Do you spend a third of eternity dead?

1. profile image60
    Ack Taneposted 3 years ago

People who believe in reincarnation often speak metaphorically of life as awake and death as asleep. So if you spend a third of your life asleep do you spend a third of eternity dead?

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh wow... you're the perfect example of what I was trying to share with Matthew... you came straight here and started this thread? Not one other activity? And you have a 72 score... I have to say... it hurts a little more every time.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

one third (or one fourth or one thousandth) of eternity is still eternity.  Time without end.

So yes, I guess you could say that.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't think so because believing in reincarnation does not imply believe every soul was created in the beginning and endures in the reincarnation cycle until the end.  Or that the world has been in eternal existence.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
          Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

God would have to start the next Big Bang, if every last soul was not united with Him by then.
          However long it takes.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
            psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In fact even suggesting things started with a big bang means this world is not eternal and so not proportion of time within it can be eternal.

1. wilderness profile image95

Why?  I don't see the concept of an endless future implying an endless past...the big bang does not imply there is an end to time, and time without end is eternity.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Just adjust your sleep schedule to coincide with the Heat Death of the Universe and wake up just in time for the next Big Bang.

And when will the Heat Death occur?  With the death of our star?

1. wilderness profile image95

When time ends, silly, and all collapses into a black hole.  Billions and billions of years (trillions) past the end of our star.

... Online Dictionary says it is a "state of uniform distribution of energy" and is a "possible fate of the universe." Does this refer to a black hole... or are you surmising?

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Well, we come back to earth about every 400 to 500 years. So, most of us were probably here during the 14 or 1500's. What happened to us in-between? Good question. I don't remember at all. Darn it.

But I would say one's after-life depends on one's spiritual evolution. Some sleep only to wake up restlessly from time to time. Some enter into great halls of learning exploring concepts and ideas. Some hang out and compose music with other musician-souls. Some create beauty in the astral realms of light and color. Some become formless and become one with the ocean of Bliss.
    Maybe.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And, you got that information from where?

I would reveal my sources if there wasn't so much trashing in the cyber world.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah, so you just made it up. Gotcha. smile

4. profile image59
    Undauntedposted 3 years ago

Did you really live the life of another being that is why you believe it?  Did your consciousness exist even before you were born?  If not, then reincarnation is merely another made up answer to the unknown - what will happen to our consciousness (our soul) when we die.

working