jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (130 posts)

"We've got more important things to worry about!"

1. 59
    Vegan Vandalposted 3 years ago

I think animal abuse is terrible. Let's do something about it.

"Human life is more important!"

Okay, let's stop starvation in Africa.

"We've got our own people to worry about!"

Okay, let's help the homeless in this country.

"They're all drunks and crackheads!"

Ergo- "Human life is more important" means I don't want to do anything about anything.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8486755_f248.jpg

1. 0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

What a good reminder, especially with Thanksgiving upon us. There is so much we can do for others overseas and right next door. (I didn't know that fact about the steak. Very sobering.)

2. aliasis profile image95
      aliasisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree there is very circular reasoning going on.

I'm vegetarian, though not vegan, and I am primarily for environmental reasons (I'm also against animal abuse and factory farming, though not morally opposed to eating meat per se). The fact of the matter is, raising livestock consumes significantly more resources than growing grains. If we, as a society, consumed less meat (and all Western countries, especially America, consume WAY too much meat for our own health), we could redistribute those resources into crops and ultimately get a lot more for the energy.

That being said, I don't necessarily demand that everyone become vegetarian. I would ask society to think about the over production/consumption of meat (the meat industry apparently accounts for one fifth of man-made carbon emissions), for their own health as well as the environment consider eating/buying a little less. Or participate in Meatless Mondays - once a week, skip the meat.

1. 0

I wonder what would happen if you did.

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
          Silverspeederposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There would be even more starving people in the world.

1. 0

Good point.

2. aliasis profile image95
            aliasisposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Except, possibly the opposite. (read: original post)

1. Silverspeeder profile image60

There is enough food in the world to feed everyone, that would include meat and fish as part of a balanced diet, take away either and there would be more starving.
              It's not a question of producing more food it's a question of distribution.

1. 0

+1!

2. EncephaloiDead profile image60
                EncephaloiDeadposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Does that mean there are piles of food somewhere rotting away that hasn't been distributed to the starving? Where is all that food?

1. 0

If you've ever seen the warehouse of a grocery store, there's cart fulls thrown away every week. Tons of it!

1. EncephaloiDead profile image60

Pulled up the first article from a search:

"Retailers wouldn't deliberately overstock and deliberately throw food away. That would be a cost to their business and they're trying very hard to minimise those costs from the outset to remain competitive."

"Sainsbury's is the only one of the big four supermarkets to publish its food waste figures and told Channel 4 News it generated about 44,000 tonnes of food waste in 2011.

The supermarket said none of that ended in landfill with edible food going to charity, while the rest went to animal organisations or anaerobic digestion where waste is turned into electricity or fertiliser."

http://www.channel4.com/news/why-the-su … food-waste

2. Silverspeeder profile image60

Filling up landfill and being incinerated.
                  http://www.unep.org/wed/quickfacts/

In the UK alone we waste about 14 million tonnes of food a year, 50% from households.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image60

Excellent, so since believers populate the majority of the planet, what is your plan to stop wasting so much food and begin distributing it to the starving?

3. Chris Neal profile image82
      Chris Nealposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is true for some people but not all who think human life more important than animal life.

2. Disappearinghead profile image89
    Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago

I ate a crocodile steak and a zebra burger last week. Yum.

working