jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (13 posts)

Does the Holy Spirit proceed from the Father and the Son?

1. Ericdierker profile image81
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

For some it will mean nothing. For those interested in different "schools" of thought it means much.
    There were councils and Nicea. There was the Reformation and there was Luther with Protestantism and there is Eastern Orthodox and Holy Roman Catholicism. The word catholic mean universal. There are evangelical and fundamentalists. There are liturgies and lack thereof. There is tradition and dogma.

But this one issue is paramount to in depth belief.

My resolve is a doctrine of love. But I hold a principle at heart. It leads me to understand that the Trinity in whole sends out the Holy Spirit.

What do you feel about this?

1. denise.w.anderson profile image88
      denise.w.andersonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have a different concept of the Trinity than others, in that we believe that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost (Spirit) are three separate and distinct beings. They are one in purpose, however, and work toward the same end, that being the salvation of all people. The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit, whereas the Father and Son are glorified beings with flesh and bone. Because of this difference, the Holy Ghost can be where the others cannot, and is able to influence us personally in an intimate level.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for explaining that.  I've always been a little muddy about the Mormon understanding of the Trinity.  I had a dear Mormon friend years ago, with whom I've sadly lost touch, and never got the chance to ask her about it.

smile

2. Ericdierker profile image81
        Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

How very well written. Very thought provoking. Thank you so much for this cool explanation. e

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
      A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It would appear obvious religions are man made.

HI ATM I was hoping you would stop by. I think I agree with you. Religions are man's feeble attempts to please their Gods. Certainly most should struggle with any notion of a human being infallible.
        But I still like the idea that we get together to come up with ways to express our love and devotion. It is good also to give you a point of attack so we can get right to the issues.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

"Religions are man's feeble attempts to please their Gods."

Why would you say that?  Until very recent times, the most powerful person in the village was the shaman.  And he did not attain that status by trying to please a god.

Sez you. I know many that would disagree. I think of my Navajo and Vietnamese "shaman" and they rock that way.
            I am pretty sure all that sacrifice of humans is to please God.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Are not both highly respected?  Are not both consistently asked for advice?  Do not both pretty much get whatever they ask for?  100 years ago would the Navajo have been on the hunting party or would he have been offered some of whatever the party killed without ever leaving his Teepee?  Would he have been in the front of the war party or safely back home dancing to the gods?

Power does not only refer to swinging a sword or even a big stick.

Excellent points to ponder. It does sound a little Crusadish.

2. A Troubled Man profile image60
          A Troubled Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No Eric, the religions and the gods are made up by men.

People aren't interested in love and devotion from others unless they ask for it. Preaching it to others only serves to offend and insult.

3. 0
      Emile Rposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Haven't read through the thread. I may reiterate something someone had said but I've always assumed the trinity was one and a representation of the omnipresence of God. Father, Son, Holy Spirit being presence above, on earth and all places in between. Of course I could be wrong but it doesn't make a lot of sense any other way.

2. vehnh profile image60
    vehnhposted 3 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8519312_f248.jpg

working