jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (48 posts)

Bibles in the Fiction section at Costco?

1. Ericdierker profile image81
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

Very interesting story. I think we could all take a chill pill on the issue. Possibly just a clerks error. Possibly a statement by someone.

But here is the crux. For atheists it make perfect sense. For Christians it is a slap in the face.

I am a Christian and it does not bother me one bit. And I think that it is actually good because it raises awareness. The more we get our brothers the more we can love them. I do not do one good if I do not understand my fellow person.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
      DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think it is fiction...so I take no offense, and in fact find the price tag to be fitting, but then, I'm one of those atheist people...

2. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

(1) Does Costco sell other religious texts, and if so how are they shelved?

(2) If a person believes the events in "Winnie the Pooh" are true and follows a religion based on the the "Winnie the Pooh" books, should Costco shelve "Winnie the Pooh" in the non-fiction section out of respect for that person's religious beliefs?

Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you have a great point.  I would put it in "texts". I am sure you get that calculus-geometry.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image89
        DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Excellent point.

3. Jodah profile image85
      Jodahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm a Christian too, but it doesn't really bother me, besides the fiction section is probably the most popular so may be the best place to attract new readers...you never can tell. Maybe God's got a plan here.

See that is the common sense too many miss. Exactly.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image62
      EncephaloiDeadposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The Bible is much more than just a slap in the face of atheists, considering it degrades and disparages them and tells them they will burn for an eternity.

I get that notion. EncephaloiDead. I think we should be mindful of that. Those of us with faith in our lives need to be more sympathetic to you who do not.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image62

If you were sympathetic of others, you wouldn't believe in the Bible.

I think you jump about three processes in this remark.

"belief in the bible" (note no cap) To me, that would be absurd. "Belief in a book?" Not likely. Boy o Boyo, if that were the case it would give all new meaning to a Bible Thumper. I have ten paper editions right here. Which one would I believe in?
            You set up a straw man when you twist the words to believe in a book. The book might even help create miracles. But not really. It is the Word that changes lives and the Bible helps us to understand that Word, not the words on a printed page.

Then, it would seem rather irrelevant to worry about where the Bible resides in Costco.

That is the whole point my friend. Fun and entertaining and of interest. Not important. But what we really learn is about the preacher man. How sad and bad that was how he handled it.

And I think we all agree the book fits in Epic, Classic or Spiritual. However putting in in fiction might increase sales. So we judge not.

The preacher man wasn't judged?

Read -- what he did was bad. No judgment on him. I hope your parents taught you that distinction. (the actual story seemed to have him questioning himself as to how he handled it)

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

I hesitantly suggest the philosophy section.

It is just accepted in a section called "spirituality". Seems right.

2. Ericdierker profile image81

Hey paradigmsearch, my son and I both have philosophy degrees and were chatting and we both had to read the bible in that course of study. We laughed because we are both Christian and so we aced that course without picking up the book to read.

3. delaneyworld profile image80
    delaneyworldposted 3 years ago

In my humble opinion, be it an error or a purposeful act, for someone who is spiritual like myself, it bothers me not one little bit. I am at peace with my own belief system, therefore the thoughts or beliefs of others do not threaten my own.  We have all been given free will for a reason and it is a wonderful thing indeed.  We also live in a free country, but not an error-free country, which is also a powerfully fabulous thing! 

The more often we spend time getting all riled up due to words on price tags, trying to guess the intentions of other's acts and focusing solely on how "we" have been wronged in one way or another in relation to an issue such as this one - the less time we spend time doing good, filling the world with light, contributing positively to our society, or bettering our world in general.

I would have gratefully gone without this two to three minute story on the news about a Costco tag in favor of a story about Epilepsy Awareness (it's Epilepsy Awareness month), a story about someone doing good in our communities, or coverage about people finding solutions to the challenges we face in the world today.  Our country is wound so tightly these days that the smallest ripple causes an uproar that is, in my opinion, quite disturbing.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

How do we know that it wasn't placed in the "Fiction" section by some wise-ass kid who moved it there as a goof?

1. Justin Earick profile image82
      Justin Earickposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I seriously doubt this is over a single misplaced copy.  Highly unlikely.

5. Justin Earick profile image82
    Justin Earickposted 3 years ago

How many people have written about Thor and Batman?  Did everyone who ever authored a story of Thor or Batman know them personally, know their fables to be true and witnessed their acts in person prior to authorship?
    Religion tells us that the miraculous can occur given faith.
    Modern science tells us that reality is but one of innumerable outcomes collapsed into the single experience of any given perceiver.  Or, the universe is but the series of an infinite number of possibilities, only realized once collapsed into what we perceive either individually or as a group. 
    Science explains how miracles can occur, we simply allow ourselves to accept otherwise unacceptable outcomes (possibly by way of faith). Quarks move, moreso given human stimuli ie prayer, meditation, etc... (the more the merrier).
    In other words, we realize (rather literally) what will be perceived as fiction and/or nonfiction. 
    Maybe Jesus did turn water to wine, raise Lazarus, and feed few fish and a couple of bread loaves to thousands of followers.  Maybe Daniel literally survived the lion's den; and Shadrak, Meshak and Abednego literally survived the chamber of fire.  Perhaps Eve literally spoke with a serpent and Jonah literally survived days inside of a big fish.
    Perhaps we are to take seriously the seven headed creatures of Revelations.  Perhaps we are to take seriously the adventures of Sherlock Holmes or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 
    Perhaps the stories of our superheroes show us the ways in which regular people can do miraculous things.  Inevitably though, our heroes come to understand that the power is in fact within themselves...

Are we really to equate a book of two thousand years and 2 billion followers present to cartoon characters? So be your opinion but you diminish any point by such sophistry which any man is used to and bored with. You almost had me thinking that you were someone serious to listen to. But to compare the cartoon characters to the bible makes all else said lunacy.

1. Justin Earick profile image82
        Justin Earickposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Did you read the question?  I didn't initiate the comparison, in fact Costco has already deemmed the comparison appropriate.  Odd that you are suddenly bored with the topic, especially given that your clicks and keystrokes tell a different story.  Funny that.

2. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The works of Homer are about 1,000 years older and have been read by many millions, too.  The only difference is that it is (now) recognized as fiction whereas there are still many millions that think the bible is the Word of God and truth.

If age and readers is all it takes, should not the Iliad be in the non-fiction area as well?

Is the Iliad in a fiction section?

1. wilderness profile image96

Actually, I doubt Costco carries either it or the Odyssey.  Probably the wrong genre for the small business owner - they like fantasy as the same type of thinking keeps them going in their business smile  Just making a point.

Epic or Classics. That makes sense. I think I could put the Bible in there also.

Now either one of those might be the place for the bible. 

A classic because of age/readership, or an epic as the story of the Hebrews.  I wouldn't necessarily consider either as factual, although either could have a factual basis - a fictionalized tale written around a true story.

6. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

Costco has said that it was a distributor's error that they should have caught. The pastor who took the viral picture could have gone to the store manager if there was an issue instead of using social media.  The self-righteous act of one person has possibly put a strain on the store manager of a chain known to treat their employees and customers fairly.

I would classify it as an Epic or Classic or Religious Literature.

Thanks rebekah, that preacher man's story was that he tried unsuccessfully to find a manager for quite some time. And then spoke on the phone without real comment on the matter from costco. My requirements would make me try harder with Costco. And then a serious yet fun piece about it written someplace like here.
      In short I think the preacher man acted badly like you pointed out.

Only a fool would require that a major retailer like Costco, from management down to the shelf stocker, not only share their particular belief system but take special steps to maintain it.  Only a fool is actually offended by someone else not following their beliefs.

And fools the world over seem to get great satisfaction from screaming about imagined and ridiculous offences like putting a book in the wrong section of the shelf.  It seems to make them feel good that others will take up their cry to harm someone, to make someone pay as heavy a price as possible for a made up offence.  Makes them a bigger person somehow to hurt others.

So yes, the preacher man acted badly.

7. aware profile image70
    awareposted 3 years ago

bibles a good read. but know what? its fiction. it belongs in the fiction section.sperio  in dio.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

How many were there? How come you just didn't pick them up and put them where they belonged. .. In the non fiction section?  I do not find this thread funny. I find it sad. I wish you had reported that you yourself had put them where they belonged. You can't get busted for rearranging the shelves can you?

8. aware profile image70
    awareposted 3 years ago

my two bibles are on the  dresser next to me. one is always opened  and i change the page daily. it sits in front of a urn holding the ashes of my grandmother. surrounding it are candles that i light in her memory . my bible is exactly where it belongs. i put it there.  you wont find my bibles put in anyone else s face. i know where they belong and what they are.god is not a idea meant to be forced upon people. or pushed as non fiction.

Wonderful and more wonderful and exquisite. I am running over to follow you as a person that needs to be followed.
      Thank you aware.

9. aware profile image70
    awareposted 3 years ago

and eric .  i said you were a angry person once and im saying it again. i answer anger with anger. esp when defending others. eric   you and your son have degrees in being self righteous . and you didn't even need to study for them. why? i guess like you taught your son to be. your parents taught you to be also.  they should have known better eric. . i don't like you. at all

I am not unpleased with this. I think that I like people with deep conviction. I think aware is noble in the quest for doing better. I like all people but I can get a grip on being unliked. I actually find it endearing. I do not have to pretend with aware.

1. Jodah profile image85
        Jodahposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I like you Eric, can't see what all the angst is about.

10. JMcFarland profile image90
    JMcFarlandposted 3 years ago

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat … e-reacted/

yeah....this pretty much says it all.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The Library of Congress has the Bible categorized in Classification B - Philosophy, Psychology, Religion in Subclass - BS. 

That article sums it up well.

2. Ericdierker profile image81

McFarland that pretty much is unadulterated promotion of other. I shame on you. Charleton and promoter is what that is. Speak you mind of go elsewhere. I do not cotton such salesmanship. Be a man or be a salesman.

1. JMcFarland profile image90
        JMcFarlandposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Okay,

first of all,  I'm not a man.

Second of all,  you're not a forum moderator, nor are you my father.

Third of all,  the link I provided included direct quotes from the Christian that first noticed the label and tweeted it,  along with quotes from Costco,  and how he was ashamed of the way some Christians had acted about it.

That's it.  Unless that constitutes promotion (which it doesn't) you are way off base.

Shame?  Do you know what's shameful?  Claiming to be a follower of the religion of love and then name calling and insulting someone for disagreeing.

11. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago

That this merited news coverage is really sad.  That it spawned a forum thread on HP is silly.  At the end of the day, is your faith threatened or undermined because of where the bible is placed in a store?  I worry that such faith is tremulous at best.

working