jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

Israeli mom fined $149 a day for refusing son's circumcision

1. 0
    Rad Manposted 3 years ago

"An Israeli woman has been ordered by a religious court to have her baby son circumcised or else pay a fine of $149 Cdn for every day he stays uncircumcised."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/israeli-mo … -1.2440644

Okay, that's messed up, she read what happens and decided she wanted to protect her baby. I've lost all respect for Israel.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What else would you expect? Freedom FROM religion is even more important than freedom OF religion. 

Israel is just another middle east country that, practically speaking, has neither.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It is a rabbinical court, not a secular court.  It matters to her only to the extend her religion's internal structures matter to her.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
          DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't pretend to understand Judaism, but I don't see how a church court has any authority to levy fines.....She should, (IMO) tell them where to get off, and change her religion while she's at it.

1. 0
            Rad Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Non-secular country. Much like Europe was during the dark ages.

2. 0

It matter to her because she is being fined by the government to the tune of $150 a day until she get it done. The Church is involved in state matters.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
            psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If they insist on collecting that fine through secular means I suspect they last vestiges of the authority of the rabbinical court will melt away pretty quickly.  It is a court that rests mainly on moral authority in family matters and voluntary compliance, not blunt instruments like fines.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I’m sorry for the mom, but it is about time the tables were turned. Middle East religions have been doing horrible things to women for millennia. It takes some doing to the male sex before wrongs are considered. I hope this little “sacrificial lamb” will bring on a revolution in thinking. The human body is a personal thing and shouldn’t be subject to theocratic whims.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Really?  You would advocate "turning the tables" and causing great harm to innocent people  that have never lifted a finger against anyone?  All because they have a Y chromosome.

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Why not? It might teach a new generation some empathy and put an end to the suffering of the XXs. Are those who are brought up to perpetuate old practices really innocent?

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Oh look, even more proof that religion as a whole is pure evil. Just what the doctor ordered.

1. 0

It's what happens without a separation between church and state. A mom is ordered to cut of part of the anatomy of her newborn son.

working