jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)

Once you are over 40, both God and Nature want you dead.

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Tough town, reality.

And, yep. I'm over 40.

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Except for wisdom PDS, youth is wasted on the young!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Glad I didn't get the memo 30 years ago.

3. topkatspecial profile image61
      topkatspecialposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am sorry if i don't agree, Babies die as soon as they are born and  you also have 90 year olds who are yet to die despite some very debilitating circumstances... It's got nothing to do with God or nature. People can live in the most dangerous lifestyles and take unnecessary dangerous risks and still live very long life.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 3 years ago

Yep. I've been sleeping with one eye open. It appears to be working. I'm still alive.

3. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 3 years ago

I'll just stop believing in god and have one less thing to worry about.

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

Come now, PDS - I work diligently with my grandchildren.  Between gigglefests and Old Maid games I work hard to pass on the massive wisdom I've accumulated, teaching them to survive until reproductive age.  Evolution should love me.

The only real problem is expanding the 10 second "wisdom" talk into 30 minutes.  And then saying the same speech differently the next day - necessary as it's all I've got. smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Not the most cheerful thread I've ever started... I just can't seem to shake my lab rat theory. The older I get, the more valid it seems.

1. Ericdierker profile image79
        Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If I am not here at the end of May you will have to assume you have one support for your suggestion. I am a Preacher and am going for 6 days back country wilderness hiking at 56. There will actually be two older than me.
        I think it might have merit.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

Eat vegetables, raw, steamed or baked. Exercise, and get lots of sleep. Cut out ALL overly processed foods, cut out alcohol, over indulgence in anything exciting to the nervous system and work on being calm. Also work on being invisibleā€¦ like you will be once you loose your body.  By the way, there is no death for the spirit.
    (PS Not responding to arguments.)

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm practicing. Can you see me? smile

2. Ericdierker profile image79
      Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

So the man says to the doc. I eat whatever I want, drink and smoke and am debaucheress with that as my only exercise. The doc says to do exactly as Kathryn suggests and you can live to be 100. The man says: why would I want to?

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
      Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Screw that. Who wants to live forever?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

- yet we do: invisibly, in between lifetimes.

6. profile image0
    MysticMoonlightposted 3 years ago

For me, it's more like 35. No joke. I'm being stubborn though and hoping both God and nature get bored with me and finally cut me some slack smile

1. Zelkiiro profile image84
      Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Your hope is in vain. Were he to exist, then reality would strongly hint that God never ceases to be amused by your suffering.

Luckily, No One is amused by our suffering. Therefore, we are not lab rats.
        (Except to ourselves.)

7. paradigmsearch profile image84
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8147348_f520.jpg

- and he'll spend the rest of his days trying to get out.
      (as well he should.)

8. tirelesstraveler profile image88
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

Well if you told me when I hit forty I would go through chemo therapy once I would have said,"So be it".  If you told me  after the first time I would have said, "No way"  I was too alive at 55 to say no.  If you told me I would start again at 59 I would have told you no way.Well,  I just finished my second treatment in round 3 and I am still kicking. 
    You can look at life like you are in the process of dying all your life or you can take each day as it comes. 
    There is still something for me out there.  Five years ago I with my cancer I had a life expectancy of 5 years on the outside.  It was good my cancer didn't come back five years ago.  I would have never had the drugs that I participated on trails for. It came on the market.  Nor would I be on the drug I had today.  It is so new they haven't completed the protocol for infusing it. It is scary how well it worked after one dose, wonder what will happen after two doses.
      When things like that happen I look for the bigger picture.  What am I supposed to be doing that is going to make a difference?  Today I was late leaving. Got stuck when the traffic light wouldn't change.  The detour took me past Trader Joe's.  I stopped because I was parched. Bought a huge amount of water.  Didn't have traffic, got off the freeway and read my text message drove down the road, saw my B.F.F., she saw me and by the time I turned around she had crossed the street and stepped into my car. I am not just lucky.  There is someone watching out for me.  My guardian angel has a perverse streak, but guard me he does. Some times you have to go out and grab life instead of living dead.

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Holy tirelesstraveler! That is one hurting story, you are extremely courageous. I commend your attitude and your spirit. Wishing you all the best on your healing journey!

working