jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Do Some Catholic Priests Still Perform Exorcisms?

1. PhoenixV profile image80
    PhoenixVposted 2 years ago

Are there any Catholic Priests that perform exorcisms? How is it done if they do? Can you hire one? Do you have to be Catholic?

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Exorcisms are still performed. You may find your answers at  “How to find an exorcist priest” {1}

This site begins, “Some dioceses in the world do not have appointed exorcists, but every diocese has its bishop. He can conduct exorcisms or appoint a priest as an exorcist in his diocese.” It goes on to lists steps you can take to locate an authorized exorcist in your area.

Alternatively, you may simply google “find exorcist priest” without quotation marks.
      {1} http://www.exorcismus.org/first-aid/231 … st-priest-

2. grand old lady profile image88
    grand old ladyposted 2 years ago

I understand there is a great shortage of exorcists in the world and in America, I read somewhere that there is only one exorcist per 100 people who request exorcisms. I have to look up the site to see if it's quoted correctly.

There is a school in the Vatican that trains priests on how to be exorcists.

3. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago

There is still an up to date Rite of Exorcism in the Roman Catholic Church.  The reason it's rarely heard of or talked about is that many, many things that believers attribute to demonic possession aren't actually attributable to it.  There's a long period of examination that comes before a church sanctioned exorcism.

It does happen, however, and can actually be done by any priest - although GOL is correct in that there are specific priests trained for it.