jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

1. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

I can't BELIEVE this!

Vatican defends Brazil excommunication

A freaking 9 year old girl raped repeatedly by her stepfather and impregnanted with twins, and now the Vatican is excommunicating her mother and the doctors for performing an abortion.

This part is especially special:

Sickos. Nice to know they're still siding with pedophiles over children.

Considering the girl's age, I also fail to see how they can claim with a straight face to be "pro-life," considering there's an above average chance she'll die before the babies even come to term.

Apparently this is going to be one of those days I hate humanity. sad

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's not 'humanity,' Kerry.  Just a bunch of old men who know nothing about sex--or much about people either, because they've divorced themselves from it.

Sick.  Someone will be judged--guaranteed--when the time comes, and it won't be the girl or her mother.

2. 0
    pgrundyposted 7 years ago

I am never shocked by the capacity of the Catholic Church to be sexually delusional and cruel. Look at history. When have they ever NOT been this way?

The Crusades. The Inquisition. The sale of indulgences. Priests having sex with nuns and women (and men) coming for confession. The Malleus Malificarum. The most recent scandal around the sexual abuse of altar boys during which the Church consistently protected the priests and ignored the victims.

It never ends. The Bible has little to say about birth control, and what it does say doesn't fit the Church's position. It's sad that anyone listens to the Catholic Church. It's tragic for that little girl.

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Always been about power, Pam.

And as far as women, the old Eve and Mary/Shadow Woman syndrome.  Which started in the Catholic Church, as far as my research....

4. kerryg profile image86
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

I guess for most of my life I've thought of Catholics as being fairly sane and reasonable people, overall, with most of the hell and brimstone stuff behind them.

Maybe I was just delusional because most of the Catholics I've known have been fairly sane and reasonable people, but lately there's more and more of this kind of s*** coming out of the Church, and I keep meeting Catholics who belong to the wacko branch of "libertarians" that somehow manages to combine hatred of all government programs and services with a belief that there should be federal laws outlawing abortion, birth control, homosexuality, etc.

I'm tempted to blame the Nazi Pope, since it seems like it's gotten a lot worse since his election, but I didn't pay enough attention until we were already a few years into it, so maybe I just noticed it less under John Paul. sad

5. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Well, I think y'all know my opinion on the hypocrisy of people who believe in a magical, invisible super being who created the world  -and know what he wants - and are prepared to enforce that will and kill for it. smile

Better than being burnt at the stake I guess. So some progress then.......... sad

6. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I think you are right.  It's that NeoCon spirit running through things lately--defensive reaction to fear, I think.  And there are those Mel Gibson Catholics.

There is sort of this 'look the other way' incidence to these things if you grow up Catholic.  But I haven't seriously paid much attention to the hierarchy for years.

1. 0
      pgrundyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree. If you are raised Catholic (as I was) there is this feeling that you HAVE to be Catholic, even if you think that 99.9% of it is stupid, and that just kind of ignoring all the bad parts (which is a LOT of parts) is what normal people do--a sane response. Like, as in, don't take it all so seriously, just go to Mass, kick into the collection plate, do your best, ignore the rest. But I think that's a cop out. I have less tolerance for it than I once did. I mean, would we put up with people who just took the "good" parts of Nazism and ignored the rest? If we met some nice Nazis and they said oh just chill about all that Jew and  gypsy burning, would that fly?

We only put up with the Church's crap because they claim it in the name of God. If they made these claims based on science or politics, we wouldn't tolerate it for a second.

7. Nickny79 profile image88
    Nickny79posted 7 years ago

Yeah, those damn priests!!  Go get'em guys.

8. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 7 years ago

Single cases make bad law. No point in being angry. We should just be sad that such institutionalised imbecility has still to die a natural death.
    Having said that, the family could, with my blessing, kick the regional archbishop in the bollox. After all, what is he but a waste of space? And time.