jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Love between an Atheist and a Christian?

1. 0
    Lybrahposted 2 years ago

Seriously, with all these debates going on between atheists and Christians, I wonder: Could an atheist and a fundamentalist have a romantic relationship with each other?  This has nothing to do with me, I just wonder if opposites really would attract.  Perhaps they agree never to discuss the situation.

I'm also thinking of that hard-core Democrat guy (bald head) who is married to that hard-core republican lady (I think her name was Marly Matlin or something).  They were married, and were extreme opposites.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

haha, you're thinking of James Caville and Marley Matalin. They are a super interesting couple.

Of course an Atheist and a Christian can love each other. I have had very close relationships with many Atheists... we simply didn't focus on God. This was during a dark time in my life where I tried not to think about God as much as possible, and interestingly enough, it was the Atheists who wanted to talk about Him. Desperately, it seemed. I just wanted to forget who I was supposed to be... forget who I was for a while, but God will use anyone and anything to keep Himself on your mind. And that is the true love story.

The main verse I think about concerning this subject is 2 Cor 6:14, "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" It is God's warning for you... His way of protecting you. In high school, I remember a teacher using this example, a common one: If a person is standing on a table, is it easier to pull the person on the ground up onto the table or is it easier to pull the person on the table down to the ground?

Living a life of faith is already so incredibly hard in this world, with all its temptations etc. Can you imagine if your closest ally didn't even believe what you believed in the deepest part of your being? How long would it be before you stopped going to church? Before you stopped reading your Bible? Before your faith was snuffed out b/c you began to love the world, and wanted to please your spouse, more than you wanted to please God?

I have known Christian women who married unbelievers and their lives were very difficult. Many, many heartaches and tears were shed over the pain of being torn between a God they loved and a man. I hope you'll find someone who believes as you do and who will support you in your walk. You'll just be making your life so much better in every way by not having this battle.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

The obvious answer is shown by my many friend in interfaith and out-of-faith relationships.  Sure, it can be done.

It's like that old nonsense about whether men and women can just be friends.  It  makes me wonder what kind of cultural monoculture some people are living in that the answer is not all around them every day.

1. 0
      Lybrahposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks guys.  I think if I were in love with an atheist, I'd have to follow my heart.

1. 0

Guard it. There is only one true lover of your heart and soul. smile

1. 0
          Lybrahposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You've given me some good advice. Will ponder it.

1. 0

xox

working