jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)

Do you know "you"? Know thyself?

1. CelebrateUSA profile image88
    CelebrateUSAposted 3 years ago

There was a movie that I watched ages ago about a girl who didn't know what kind of eggs she liked. I found it inconceivable that this could even take place. The movie was about her finding herself and being her own person. I have always known but she would change with each new boyfriend.

Then there was a superb inspirational speaker named Kevin Carroll, the author of the Red Rubber Ball. He spoke about the "red rubber ball" that is our inspiration in our lives. Essentially what drives you.

And finally there is the housewife whose sole focus is the coffee table and whether everything is in place and whether she is in control.

Which brings me to this question - do you know how you like your eggs cooked? Do you know what your red rubber ball is? And do you know what your coffee table is in life? If you can answer these three things, then I will pronounce that "you know thyself"!

Lastly, is this the person you wish to be?

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is by far THE BEST FORUM TOPIC ever!  This thread should garner many discourses.  Sadly, so many people really DON'T know who they are until an epiphanic moment occurs.  Many of us absorb parental, religious, and societal constructs as to who we are.  Many parents inculcate their children to be replicas of them instead of allowing them to be their unique selves.   As with parents, this inculcation continues in the schools.  Children are indoctrinated as to whom they should be instead of allowing them to discover what they ARE.  As a result of such inculcation, our true selves is subverted and we often lead lives according to other's expectations instead of our lives.  While a few people rebel against such inculcation, others go along leading false lives oftentimes until it is WAY TOO LATE.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8587371_f248.jpg

CelebrateUSAposted 3 years ago in reply to this

gmwilliams,
        I always thought philosophy should be taught and actively studied in high school and yet the educators seek to hide this important topic for "college".  Thank you for contributing - I thought it might spark an introspective view for both discussion and internal review. Hopefully those not participating are digesting and reviewing their inner mechanics.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know exactly how I like my eggs, unfortunately, I somehow got too much salt on them this morning and now I have an hour to live.

What drives me? I don't really have a will to live so it's good that I only have an hour left.

My coffee table is getting dusty. If I survive two more hours, I will consider doing something about it.

3. amiebutchko profile image95
      amiebutchkoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think I know myself.  I know who I am, what drives me, how I like my eggs.... I think I am often that housewife rearranging her coffee table because I want (need) to get things just right.  But other things, are just fine left to mess.  I kind of love who I am.  I think everyone has beauty in them, just how they are.  I want to believe this....

4. FlourishAnyway profile image93
      FlourishAnywayposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You need to write a hub about this.  Awesome topic.

5. profile image0
      Beth37posted 3 years ago in reply to this

That was Runaway Bride, right?

2. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 3 years ago

You've been watching 'Runaway Bride' lol!  Knowing yourself is a life long project - like an onion you have to peel back the layers as more and more is revealed

CelebrateUSAposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is it! You are absolutely correct!

And you are also correct on the layers but we must start with the outer layers first - the items we can control, the items that motivate us and our kind of egss!

3. electronician profile image93
    electronicianposted 3 years ago

I am what I am
    All else is personality spam
    Born again each day...

To know oneself presupposes that some 'hard coded' self exists, which you can come to know. In many ways, this is a very limiting concept. You are what you choose to be in any given moment.

At the same time, to know oneself can mean to become aware of the automatic triggers and habits of thought which rule most people's lives - enabling one to exercise conscious choice where before there was none.

In short - to know oneself is the most noble cause, but only if you use that knowledge to become liberated from yourself.

4. suzettenaples profile image91
    suzettenaplesposted 3 years ago

I like my eggs scrambled.  What drives me is writing. Learning new things, and travel.  I don't even own a coffee table.  LOL!

5. Theater girl profile image81
    Theater girlposted 3 years ago

I like my eggs over easy, preferably sitting on top of a crabcake, Chesapeake style.
    What drives me are the children I am lucky enough to work with every single day. They inspire me with how hard they try in the face of crap that would make adults curl up into a ball....

I have no coffee table, I have a pair of storage ottomans, because, sometimes, even if things are a mess inside, it looks like I am keeping things together!

6. BigBlue54 profile image60
    BigBlue54posted 3 years ago

I like my eggs scrambled in butter with Wensleydale cheese crumbled in and fresh chives. It's served on toast with a couple of rashers of streaky bacon.I have to watch out because I get over generous with the cheese and it becomes more like cheese sauce. Serve it with some mushrooms fried with the bacon. The toast is from bread I bake myself.

Also good coffee. smile

What drives me forward. Well as already mentioned life. But also if I learn something new then I think I have had a good day.

1. electronician profile image93
      electronicianposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Can I come round for breakfast?

1. BigBlue54 profile image60
        BigBlue54posted 3 years ago in reply to this

You do realise that as a panda you are not allowed any of this. Sorry but it's bamboo for you.

2. BigBlue54 profile image60

You do realise that as a panda you are not allowed any of this. Sorry it's the bamboo for you.

7. The Stages Of ME profile image80
    The Stages Of MEposted 3 years ago

I like your question,
    I know how I like my eggs - preferably cooked, my rubber ball is to live a life of service and treat others as I would want to be treated, while sharing my heart for God with others.  In so doing my coffee table would be any doubt or distractions I allow to get in the way of my being everything I am meant to be.  For I am not anything without my faith, that said, doubt in anything of the day I have been given, could be a deterrent.  When we know who we are, and are doing what we are called to do, the deterrents or doubt are mere blips.  Focus for me is in Christ, and so, as long as I keep my focus it's all good.  I know who I am because I am led, more importantly I am loved.

8. fpherj48 profile image82
    fpherj48posted 3 years ago

I absolutely KNOW me.  I am totally in tune with my own personality, beliefs, passions....my heart, mind and soul.. I AM whom I wish to be....I actually like me!  In fact, knowing myself as completely as I do, if I was anyone or anything I did not WANT to be, I'd get real busy, quite quickly, to correct this.
    I'll eat eggs any which way but raw.  Is there a favorite way I like my eggs?  Yes, of course, ordered out and served to me!
    My red rubber ball is a busy, bouncing ball.....keeping me motivated, being productive, happy, healthy and generous.  My passions are what interests me at any given moment...and it usually has something to do with helping my fellow man in any small way I can.
    My coffee table is a cluttered mess, but I know what's there and how to find it.  I like things that are important to me, nearby and easy to reach......because I'm mostly moving, running..working and playing.   If I die before I can straighten the clutter.....my kids will have a whole lot of fun going through all Mom's junk!!...because I KNOW them too!

1. Easy Exercise profile image89
      Easy Exerciseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You go girl! Love your energy and focus!

9. Easy Exercise profile image89
    Easy Exerciseposted 3 years ago

Yum! I have never had scrambled eggs with cheese - now I have new breakfast idea filled with more protein - thank you!

I am very simple in my egg preference  - sunny side up. Very complicated in real life and always enjoy any and all challenges. Have a passion for helping other with their health and fitness goals.

The cheese I use, Wensleydale, is a crumbly cheese and melt well. The flavour is not to strong so it does not overwhelm any of the other flavours.

It also happens to be a Yorkshire cheese and as a Yorkshireman living in Yorkshire you like to help out smile

The chives having a mild onion taste goes well with the cheese.

Okay. All this talk of eggs and it's lunchtime here. How many guesses do you need as to what I am having for lunch? big_smile

working