Life After Death

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

I saw this on stumble upon  .[color=blue] http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Nm2uJ/be … nospa=true [/color=blue]
    and I was curious what others might think of it.

It goes along the lines of how I've come to think life after life would be possible.

1. Dr Lamb profile image54
      Dr Lambposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, the link didn't allow me to view unless I like on Facebook. I don't do that until I read first.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh. I'm not on Facebook. I saw it on Stumble Upon.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd say the good doctor needs to do some experimentation and FIND this other universe, full of dead living people, before saying it exists.

Lots of "maybe's", lots of possibilities, but extremely short of evidence.  As in none, unless I missed it.  Hard to believe that a reputable scientist would deteriorate to such a state as to forget how to promote scientific findings and knowledge.

1. profile image0

Blame quantum physics. I do. smile

What fascinates me is that all paths lead to similar conclusions. I know some chalk it up to wishful thinking but, is it? I have enough personal experience to cause me to pause and attempt to understand how these experiences fit into a cosmic reality, just as others do. I don't wish for longevity. I simply wish to have a better understanding. I don't view this desire as a need to believe as much as a need to remain open minded. Which is why I find it interesting that the most forward thinking among scientists (those who attempt to unravel the mystery of the fabric of our existence) end up, about, where religion started; in some ways.

Of course, you disagree. But, I love his comments on existing simultaneously within multiple universes. It's right down the alley of a train of thought I followed once and solves the riddle of free will.

Okay, it let me read it that time. I have to look at it critically before I assume it has any merit and from my perspective it seem just like another person attempting to cash in on the wishful thinking of the gullible.

First he claims God done it.
          "Lanza points to the structure of the universe itself, and that the laws, forces, and constants of the universe appear to be fine-tuned for life, implying intelligence existed prior to matter."

He then suggests we get our consciousness from God and not our brains when we know our consciousness is a function of the brain.
          [i["If the body generates consciousness, then consciousness dies when the body dies. But if the body receives consciousness in the same way that a cable box receives satellite signals, then of course consciousness does not end at the death of the physical vehicle."[/i]

This part simply looks made up as a way to explain how it could be possible, but still doesn't explain how or why we loose consciousness or how it leaves, comes or goes.
          "'Consciousness resides, according to Stuart and British physicist Sir Roger Penrose, in the microtubules of the brain cells, which are the primary sites of quantum processing.

Upon death, this information is released from your body, meaning that your consciousness goes with it.

The truth is they have no evidence, just wishful thinking and a hope that they will sell some books marketed at the gullible.

1. profile image0

Ok. Granted, the guy will attempt to cash in on this line of thinking. Who wouldn't, if they had the ability to write a whole book on it. However, I've got to say the thought that consciousness preceded matter and drives the physical reality we experience does make sense to me. It explains quite a lot, actually.I have no hope of being as well spoken as those such as the good doctor, but there is ample evidence to support the fact that this reality is no more than an illusion, of sorts. Why we experience it (we being all living organisms) is still a mystery.

Personally, I think if there is any merit to the continuation of consciousness after physical death it could not involve the continuation of the individual consciousness. I simply assume that the energy will be reabsorbed and reapportioned.

Well your line of thinking makes more sense than the good doctors, however I'd like to see your evidence of universal consciousness. All living things are not conscious, as far was we can tell only a handful of animals are self aware and we are simply one of them. I see no reason to think that consciousness is anything more than a function of a particular kind of brain brought on by evolution. It seems arrogant to me to think that because we can ponder the universe that it was constructed for us. I also see no evidence to suggest that consciousness is supplied to us like a cable line.

Evidence?  What evidence?  Are you referring to imagination and/or questions as being evidence?  I've never seen the first tiny bit of evidence that the reality we experience is but illusion.

1. janesix profile image60
                janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So true.

In fact, I would even go so far as to suggest you might even be a product of my imagination.

1. wilderness profile image95

Were you closer, I would pinch you - that should end the illusion idea.

But as I am not, would you please imagine a fine wine in my hand, a beautiful woman on my lap and great music playing in the background?  smile

Lol... I was thinking you'd respond with something like that. I was voting for me imagining you into winning the lottery, but your idea is much better:)

2. profile image0

True, there are no hard findings to support any theory. That goes across the board. And, i will say that the satellite signal analogy gave me an eye roll.

But, your comment on consciousness does give me cause for pause. Almost all living things are conscious, on some levels. They do have the basic ability to perceive and thereby respond to selected features of their environments. This being said, I am left to wonder about the particular organism that energy is manipulating and take into account the limitations of that form. The energy used to animate life is exactly the same in all life forms. The forms are the difference.

Not only that, but the energy that drives the brain in someone who is schizophrenic, or whose brain has been somehow damaged in an accident, or a myriad of problems associated with neurological functions has the same type of energy driving their brain function. Yes? If so, then problems aren't really associated with the energy, simply the vehicle used and the environment it is exposed to.

I like how you put that.

I'm thinking, maybe that energy is life, and it creates the forms to experience itself in specific ways.

2. Dr Lamb profile image54

Very few animals are self aware.

I'm not sure about the energy you are talking about in the mind? The fact is damage to the brain affects the mind in ways specific to the part of the brain damaged. An Alzheimer's patient looses their memories, short term and long to when a specific part of the brain becomes deceased. Drugs affect the mind and can put the mind into unconsciousness. Ever had surgery?

1. profile image0

Self aware is not necessarily synonymous with consciousness. My comment applied only in the most basic definition of consciousness.

Yes. I have had surgery.

But, that skirts my point. Energy animates life. Biological forms are not alive without energy to animate. If the body is simply a vehicle for that energy, that energy is definitely inhibited by the form and function of that biological form. And how interaction with the environment affects that form.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
                  Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Man's brain is the only part greater than the other millions of species ability on earth. When ever there is a problem you will find the source of that problem in Man's mind, starting with the invisible man in the sky.

There is a hell of low energy mental illness going around in this over ego world. Man is greatly over rated and other species are under rated as low energy and unaware. I hope intelligent peaceful aliens find us in time because jobs, population, housing and most of all the natural environment along with millions of species is unsustainable now.

In the end like the story of an afterlife, likely some form of energy transformation of reincarnation. Too bad ancient Hollywood steels the Big SOUL

1. profile image0

Haha. Did you ever see the movie Mars Attacks?  I can picture you standing on top of a skyscraper with the 'Welcome to Earth' sign.

But, I think you are too down on Man. We aren't that bad. Misguided at times, but there is always hope. smile

2. Dr Lamb profile image54

I assumed you were referring to consciousness as defined as the fact of awareness by the mind of itself and the world. My bad. The body is not a vehicle for energy, as energy isn't conscious. The body uses energy and when we die that energy takes on a new form. Pushing up flowers.

1. profile image0

Well, pushing up flowers is an important job. I'm sure the energy is more than happy to do it. smile

I see his comments more as an amusing and interesting "what if" scenario, not as anything necessarily connected to reality.  He's playing with philosophy and mind games, not with scientific investigation, regardless of how they ideas are being introduced to the reader (as facts in much of this article).

But similar conclusions?  First, I didn't find any conclusions at all; just hypothesis that need to be checked.  Second, some will have the same thoughts, some will not, but there is cetrainly no reason to think that everyone or even a majority of people will come to the same imaginary realities.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lanza, along with mystic Deepak Chopra, assert that the universe is a product of our consciousness, while scientists have been telling us it's the other way round. Basically, they are re-inventing "Idealism", and ancient philosophy that was precluded by real science.

As already mentioned, they are just trying to sell books to the gullible.

1. profile image0

Too bad for them. I never buy those types of books. Now, if there is one at the library....I might read it. Probably not. I fall asleep on the stuff out of the Religious section. I like the thought, but I don't really enjoy wading through personal musings.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

He's got his own matrix going on there.
    One thing remains. If God is real and the Bible true...
    this is just one more distraction from the truth.

1. profile image0

Well, I look at it as if the Bible is true and God is real.....a lot of people are misinterpreting a whole lot of important stuff. A lot of people, when writing, misinterpreted a lot of stuff. I see no conflict with this train of thought and the core ministry of Jesus. Main stream Christianity ignores that ministry so much. It, like all religions, appears to have taken a good idea and laboriously turned that into a labyrinth of bad practices.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Most likely Jesus was a great person who did not write. So ancient Hollywood writers wrote for him with many wrong translations. I can not trust most men who can't manage to live pass age 30

Notice this scientist was dismissing the big Bang theory.

What about the iron in your blood matches the spiritual energy as everything changes and shifts like grains of sand and the stars in the Universe. What about Energy relating to our consciousnesses like the high energy that can be tapping into the source of good intention, happiness and etc. Low energy would be like illness, crime, personal hell and so on.

At the beginning of the universe, energy is ruler. This is fundamental law of the universe, prior to energy, there is nothing. The void is actually full of energy as far as I can imagine anyways.To break down high energy physics, many elementary particles do not occur under ambient conditions on Earth. They can only be created artificially during high energy collisions with other particles in particle accelerators.Scientific research in this area has produced a long list of particles.Showing quarks, leptons and the interacting particles, according to the particles produced by radioactive and scattering processes, such as photons, neutrinos, and muons, as well as a wide range of exotic particles.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Take that one step further, God and the Bible are the distractions from the truth. smile

What truth is that?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Reality of course.

On queue, you will now ask me what my definition is of reality. lol

Yes.

What is your definition of reality?

I'll stand by while you go find a Wikipedia article on it. Go ahead.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54

lol So predictable. I have no definition of reality, reality defines itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)