jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Name at least 20 ways that postmodern Western society has become more

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

ruthless and predatory?   What are the remedies that YOU would suggest to make Western society more evolved and less predatory?

1. 0
      mbuggiehposted 2 years ago in reply to this

First of all, do you really think it is just western societies that are "ruthless and predatory"?

Think about history before asking this question.

And after thinking about history and if your answer remains "yes", then how do you explain Japan in China and Korea prior to World War II? North Korea since about 1952? Contemporary Russia?

How do you explain thousands of years of history of western and non-western societies who have engaged in ruthless and predatory conduct?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I understand what you are stating.   Yes, there are societies in Asia and Africa that are totally ruthless in their policies.  However, I am only addressing Western or rather Westernized societies at the moment.  It seems that postmodern Western and Westernized societies are becoming highly predatory and ruthless towards the more vulnerable segments of the population instead of evolving.

2. Paul K Francis profile image81
      Paul K Francisposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I cannot name 20 ways but I notice that one may be in the way the news media presents its headlines, preferring stories where they can feature terms like 'shocking', 'horror', 'tragic', 'terror', 'awful', and the like. I can offer no remedies except that maybe we should all try to accentuate the positive when we can. Have a nice day.

2. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I could list what's wrong with society, but that would take a week or more and I don't have the time.

I suggest meditate or pray to God for guidance on how to become better people.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image60
      EncephaloiDeadposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That would seem typical of believers, never deal with the problems of society and instead, sit around and pray watching as everything gets worse.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Why pray?  We all know the answers already ("that would take a week or more") and anything we get from prayer is going to come from within us anyway.

1. janesix profile image73
        janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Because I think praying helps. I think God makes us better people, when we let him. He helps us see our faults, so that we can work on changing it.

Not from reading the Bible. Not from the Koran. From inside. Our conscious is from God, that is what I believe.

On the other hand, you are right too. I think knowing what is right and wrong is inherent. (So it "comes from within us)

3. Paul Wingert profile image79
    Paul Wingertposted 2 years ago

You give a man a fish, he eats for a day.
    You teach a man religion, he prays for fish and ends up starving to death!