Planned Parenthood

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

Planned Parenthood should be showing this video to young pregnant girls.

Taught by a 12 year old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOR1wUqvJS4

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmm Nice. smile

Excellent job of brainwashing. Congratulations - you must be very proud of you religion.

Interesting that you mention sex with 12 year olds. The churches are up in arms about changes to the statute of limitation on child sex abuse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/nyregion/12abuse.html

And you wonder why you religionists are despised............

What you are doing posting this in the religionist forum is beyond me.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just watched this video, she makes the same valid points as any pro lifer does, and yes...Mark... 12 year olds can be intelligent, my three year old is more intelligent than most 7 year olds.  Heck she is even smarter than some adults. 

I think it should be shown to other middle school aged people as well.  Even though I am pro-choice it doesn't in anyway mean that I think abortion is right.  It only means that I shouldn't be allowed to choose for someone else.  After all life is all about choices whether religious or irreligious.

I think however that this girl, when she gets older and a good dose of the complicated world we live in, she might have a very hard time staying firm on her conviction.  With a mind like hers at her age, I think she will probably conclude the same as I.  Abortion is not okay but when taking into consideration the life that already is, she might come to the same conclusion... that taking away rights of a fetus is also the same as taking away the rights of the mother. 

So let the burden fall to the mother and help where you can, give as much real information as you can about the consequences of abortion and move on.

1. countrywomen profile image61
        countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mike- Sandra has raised some good points. I just saw the video and wow!! she is so sensible. If I ever have a daughter then I would like to have a cute and sensible daughter like her. But on second thoughts sometimes when a kid is far more mature than there age group then they maybe at a risk of being "misfits" in there peer group.
        Besides that I read knolyourself opinion and I just introspected. I think a person does have there views evolve a bit over time. For example with careers I wanted to be a doctor and my brother a pilot but both of us took different careers. Kids who want to be nuns, doctors or teachers change there views too. Besides that as far as religious/moral beliefs are concerned even they undergo change. I never thought when I was 12 that I would ever taste meat but I did taste it 4 times in my life so far and my brother while doing his MBA did taste beer (although he said that is the most bitter liquid one could ever taste). We both have done things which we never thought growing up in the same household with similar beliefs we would ever do. But yes we both ended up not liking (maybe our earlier held beliefs had something to do with us not liking either meat or alcohol). I would really admire this girl after another 12 years also she has similar views and practices abstinence till she marries. I hope you don't consider my views as being critical of you in anyway as I was just trying to present my view point. smile

2. Make  Money profile image66

Oh you nut Mark.  Obviously you didn't watch the 12 year old's speech.  It has nothing to do with what you posted.  Brainwashing?  Do you not think a 12 year old can think for herself?  She was discourage from choosing this topic for her speech to her teachers and class mates in Canada but she persisted.  Her speech is clearly something that all young pregnant girls should watch.

Yes I did watch it. And those are not her words - nor does she have the wherewithal to have an opinion. But good for you.

Why is this in the religion forum? Not enough 12 year olds abused by priests bringing their child to term for you?

Still - usually they prefer boys huh?

And lest we forget - your church's leaders are fighting to stop child sex abuse case being bought against them in court -

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/nyregion/12abuse.html

Once again - I am sure you are very proud........ Perhaps you could add it to your morning prayer to god? I am sure he will help out lol

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"Planned Parenthood should be showing this video to young pregnant girls."
    She can have her opinion very admirable. Cept she would be more credible if she had ever had an abortion. Personally when I was 14, I publicy proclaimed
    with deep conviction that I would never drink and smoke. Two years later I was drinking and smoking.

4. Make  Money profile image66

Obviously this 12 year old has the smarts to do her own research, just like you or I or anyone else.  She deserves the credit.  Mark are you saying, what's the old English saying, "kids should shut up" or something like that.

1. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not terribly old English phrasing, that! "Children should be seen and not heard"

5. knolyourself profile image61

"kids should shut up"
    Should be: 'children should be seen and not heard'.

6. Make  Money profile image66

Yeah that's the saying that I was trying to think of.  Thanks.

7. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I personally believe that the 12- year old is quite intelligent for her age, as my niece speaks and acts the same way and one would think you are speaking to a 30 year-old woman. There are children out there who are not incompetent and quite educated and she does appear to be one of them. Of course I am certain that mom or dad assisted her with her paper and prepared speech, but nonetheless I commend the little one for putting the topic out there , to many abortions due to not using contraceptives or abstinence as far as I am concerned.smile

Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you got to give credit where it's due.  It's surprising what some children will get passionate about.

Credit where it is due ? lol But you give god credit usually - except not this time lol

Still haven't answered my question - why do you have an opinion on what women should do with their bodies and why are you posting this in the religionist forum?

8. gamergirl profile image88
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I want a baby. sad sad sad

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Oh, God, so what?  Remarkably bright kid.  Obviously coached, but that's OK.  Also a very well spoken.

It might be of interest here to know I've held my pro choice ideas since the age of 14 or 15.  Not exactly as young as 12, but then I wasn't coached, either....

This says nothing.  And go ahead, let it be shown to young teen girls.  Many are intelligent/mature enough to make up their own minds.  Let us all hope NONE have to think of anything remotely regarding their own pregnancies until much later.

And I do not want a baby, smile

10. Make  Money profile image66

That is a silly question Mark.  Because most Christians are concerned with the life or death of a fetus (meaning young one or young child).

The 12 year old girl in the video taught me that the word fetus comes from the Latin word meaning young one or young child.

Knowing this a woman should be concerned with more than just her self if she becomes pregnant.

Mark you do realize that Soviet Russia was the first country in the world to legalize abortion, don't you.  If someone didn't already know that you are not a communist (so you claim) anyone reading your posts would clearly think that you are a communist, you have the same belief system.  In this thread you sound like the growling of the Russian bear.

And you sound like a hypocritical catholic who would like to burn some one at the stake for disobeying your god's word.

Please answer the questions. Or are you too busy showing little boys how it is done?

2. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Even if that is true, so what? Hitler was an animal-loving vegetarian. That doesn't make either veggies or animal lovers Nazis, does it?

11. knolyourself profile image61

"Mark you do realize that Soviet Russia was the first country in the world to legalize abortion,"
    So anyone who believes in abortion is a communist.
    " If someone didn't already know that you are not a communist (so you claim) anyone reading your posts would clearly think that you are a communist, you have the same belief system."
    Since you believe in God sending people to Hell, then you are Natzi, where the final solution is hell instead of earth.

1. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

When did the USSR legalized abortion?

Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In 1920 according to this source.  That would be 3 years after the Russian Communist Revolution.
        http://www.popline.org/docs/0099/701320.html

2. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It was more than legalized or considered a choice, as far as I know (and having known former USSR citizens).  Some women in the USSR did use it as a method of birth control--meaning just that--it wasn't a considered choice in a problem situation, but more the thought that when they got pregnant, they could always abort.

Somebody I know said his mother had something like 20 abortions.

But this has nothing to do with anyone here & makes no sense as a reference.

1. RKHenry profile image63
          RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The only reason why I asked is because I thought the Nazi were the first to legalize abortion.

12. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Ahh, so.  I don't know nothin bout Nazis.  smile  Sorry...

13. Make  Money profile image66

Yeah I understand what you, knolyourself and Sandra are saying countrywomen.  It will be hard for the girl in the video to hold to all her convictions.  I think her video is needed though seeing the ban on stem cell research has been lifted in the U.S.  Stem cell research is controversial because the best source of stem cells is human fetal tissue.  I'm wondering whether Planned Parenthood will be encouraging abortion more now.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think you have the wrong idea about planned parenthood and encouraging abortion.  They don't encourage abortion.  They actually discourage it as much as possible, give you the facts about it, inform the women of the emotional and physical stress etc... it causes.

However you bring up something else that has not crossed my mind about stem cells and I wouldn't put it past government to do such a thing but you should also know that I donated my afterbirth for stem cell research when my daughter was born.

I am not sure if you knew that they collect it this way.

14. Make  Money profile image66

Yeah I've recently noticed ads on TV encouraging mothers to donate umbilical cords for stem cell research.  I'm not in the U.S. so I may have been misinformed about planned parenthood.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)