jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Fred Phelps Dead

1. EncephaloiDead profile image59
    EncephaloiDeadposted 2 years ago

Fred Phelps, the founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, has died at the age of 84, according to two of his children.

His son, Timothy Phelps, confirmed to Kansas' WIBW that Fred Phelps died "before midnight" on Wednesday. His daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, also confirmed news of the death to the Topeka Capital-Journal.

However, at least one family member seemed to dispute the reports of his siblings, as attorney Jonathan Phelps told WIBW: "Pastor Phelps is doing just fine." The network notes this could be a spiritual reference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/2 … 00577.html

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm sorry, I cannot comment on this.  Anything at all that I might say from the heart would be quite un-PC and unprofessional.

2. 0
      Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well, I hope he finds the peace he never appeared to have found in life.

On the up side let's hope that the family, sans the mentally unbalanced patriarch, will find some compassion and make some apologies for their past behavior patterns.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago in reply to this

A very lovely wish and compassionate sentiment.

3. jlpark profile image91
      jlparkposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Strangely enough, I wish him peace.
      His actions, whilst hateful, brought to the public attention the dangers, and damages of homophobia, religious extremism, and bigotry. People who may ignored something less blatant were forced to sit up and take notice.
      He was obviously a troubled man, leading a troubled family and church. May he find the peace where ever he may be that he couldn't find here. 

Though, be it wishful thinking, may the church he founded fall without his guidance, the members realising their wrongs, and righting them.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

The phrase "good riddance to bad rubbish" comes to mind...

1. aka-dj profile image78
      aka-djposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't think I have ever seen someone be referred to as "bad rubbish", here on Hubpages.

It takes the meaning of judgemental to a whole new level.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If calling a vicious, despicable hatemonger like Fred Phelps "bad rubbish" makes me "judgmental," then call me Mr. Judgmental.

There are many other words I could've used that are MUCH worse.

1. aka-dj profile image78
          aka-djposted 2 years ago in reply to this

If it makes you feel good, (superior to), by all means, don't let me burst your bubble. lol Or should I be sad ?

2. HowardBThiname profile image90
          HowardBThinameposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I will only add - I wonder if they're going to bury him facing downward - so he can see where he's going.  wink

3. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 2 years ago

Anti-gay pastor of the Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps Sr. died today! A nice touch to the beginning of spring. Let's go picket that idiot's funeral!

OK I'll be nice. How's this?

Our thoughts are with his family, especially those who have left the church and realized the error of their ways, and especially Nate Phelps: former Westboro Church member and now atheist and LGBTQ - rights activist. Good for him! Need more like him!

I hope that the people who have been hurt by Fred Phelps can begin to heal.