jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)

In Ethiopia, same-sex acts are punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 3 years ago

I'd like to know your thoughts on the matter. Your thoughts, not the thoughts of people a few thousand years ago.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My thought is that bigotry is alive and well through the world, primarily encouraged,supported and spread by religions.  There are very, very few religions strong enough in themselves to let others choose their own way of life.

2. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm assuming (if I'm wrong, please excuse me) that it carries a prison sentence because the laws there are based on religious beliefs. My thoughts are if/when religion is used to FORCE and ENFORCE a way of living and thinking upon EVERYONE, it's grossly unjust. If indeed it is outlawed due to religious reasons, my heart goes out to the GROWN ADULTS that are forced to live a lie and/or hide who they really are due to the fear of severe repercussions from the forces that be with an obvious unfair bias. Separation of church and state...so very important. It is sad to see what happens when primitive views are turned laws and are given free reign, if this be the case, of course.

1. wilderness profile image95

As there are no natural or physical reasons for such actions, all that is left is the irrational religious requirements that everyone believe the same thing.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting conclusion. Would you say the current laws within the Soviet Union, which unfairly target homosexuals, are driven by religion?

1. Righteous Atheist profile image61
            Righteous Atheistposted 3 years ago in reply to this
            1. profile image0

On the surface, taking only statements he's made on religion in attempting to understand  his moves on this one issue....sure. We can say it's religion. But, is it? Putin is pretty savvy. He uses what tools he can to achieve his goals. I'm not sure what precipitated his conversion from atheism. So, claiming his actions are driven by religion might be ignoring all other factors.

Divide and conquer. It's proven to be a winning formula for others. And Putin appears to be in a conquering frame of mind.

Ah - Another false Christian then? Yes - religion is divisive and - like you - I suspect not a single one of them actually believes, but it is a useful tool to herd the sheeple.

1. profile image0

I don't think that sums it up.

I simply think if the solution were that easy we'd have solved our problems a long time ago.

People are easily led. Especially believers. wink

2. wilderness profile image95

Probably.  As I recall Russia used to be pretty heavily Christian (remember the onion towers all over?) and the Christian morality is embedded into the population whether they still accept the canons or not.  A strong leader, using them as a method of control (remember the scapegoats Hitler used) will find them a good tool to help control and placate the masses.

2. grand old lady profile image92
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

I think it's horrible that homosexual acts get such a harsh criminal punishment. It is not a criminal act if both parties consent. I think faith should bring people closer, not divide them. I am a Christian, but I don't believe it's a sin to be gay, I believe all people should have equal rights, and people should not be judged based on their sexual orientation. I believe that we will see gays in heaven. However, while religion can be divisive, politics and culture can be, too. A lot of people are suffering in North Korea and that is a country with no religion. It was the same situation in other countries that disallowed religion in history. People are divisive and they just need an excuse to be so.

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think it works both ways. Extremism is used as a way to control people. North Korea learned from the Japanese how to make God of it's leaders. Then we have the Taliban, they use religion and guns to control people. Then there is Saudi Arabia where women are not permitted to drive.

1. grand old lady profile image92
        grand old ladyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You are spot on, Rad Man.

working