If God had a lightning bolt to your head. Would you believe for real

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 9 years ago

Nonbelievers, If God had a gun to your head, (or lightning bolt) would you start to believe.
    If a supernatural God was about to kill you, and THEN Satan (God’s Adversary) job was to burn your skin off your body, millions of times over and over, in the lake of fire for eternity. If you knew all this was not delusional, if you knew it’s all real super natural stuff. If you were not on heavy drugs or you’re not in a mental illness hospital.

The Second challenge
    God makes you pick the correct religion in order for you to be save from being killed on earth and from being tortured in Hell forever. To make things harder you must pick a denomination after you get the right religion correct in order to be save on earth also from Satan.

Would take the lottery chance for life and afterlife, if you knew you were going to die both ways?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1)  If we knew god existed would we believe He existed?  It would be delusional not to, pretty much the same as insisting He DOES exist without having the faintest idea if He does or not.

2)  If we knew God and Satan existed and required playing games would we play?  It would be delusional not to, pretty much the same as insisting He DOES play games without having the faintest idea if He does or not. 

The bigger question, though, is why you would compose such leading questions and expect real, useful answers?  Are you trying to point out how silly it is to use belief as a substitute for knowledge?

Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You got me there, silly me.
        When 80-85% of people in this world are religious and you got to wonder on how they take a huge leap of blind faith when they do not know the 99% unknown spiritual details and soul purpose of where they are going.

Sometime I'm feeling like the man in the movie "The Time Machine". Don't go into the cave and be eaten by the Warlocks or Morelocks.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  Both the Morlocks and Eloi are there, but we cannot know which is which.  Lots of propaganda, lots of lies and (probably a bit of truth somewhere) but we shall not know which is which until we meet them and judge for ourselves.

2. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well ... if you knew for sure cause it was happening ....  God was right there! 
      I think anyone would have to believe ...  If you knew for sure ... believing naturally follows.   
           Which brings up the question, WOULD a God inspire 999 false religions and or denominations of religion to exist and only one which would lead us out of the fires of hell?

I've always thought the  different religions, mainly Judaism, Islam and Christianity are holding fast to many mistranslated misinterpreted  verses of old writings.  When we misinterpret the very first sentence of any story; we are more than likely going to miss the point in everything which follows.
         How many different ways can we interpret these words (?)
        In the beginning, God said, " let US make man in OUR own image"   
         How many different ways can we understand the word  US   to mean?
         "Lets Me, Myself and I, make man in me, myself and I's own image.

Really ...  how many people have honestly considered these words to mean exactly what they at first glance to be saying?   Cause if we misinterpret this first part wrong, it becomes necessary to misinterpret everything that follows in an attempt to make any sense from it all, ( to no avail )
          OR does it mean "Let's you (guys) and me make man in our own image"?

I don't know which interpretation is the correct one.  I'm just saying that which ever one we choose brings us to a totally different place of understanding. And that is true no matter what story we are talking about.
         So no, I don't think it is true that we have a 1 in 10,000 chance of choosing the right denomination or burning in hell.   I think there is another realm of reality which this one is a product of, and there is an interaction with.... and there is an entity from that realm which has come to be called God.

It seems that when I agree with both sides of this debate, neither side agrees with me.

3. Jomine Jose profile image71
      Jomine Joseposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If had a lightning bolt to my head, I would be dead.

No, God is just threading, like the Christian group do, it's just this time it's physical or for real.

4. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You mean if God was the bully in the playground would I believe he exists. Sure.

Would I respect him for those actions. No, heaven would be a miserable place to exist. It would be like being a work with a boss you hate with a gun to your head for eternity. Shoot me and get it over with.

You would not play God's game, of Cat and mouse.

The only way we could know for sure, what to do, is in the moment. If I knew the suffering would be greater, then I would play along, until I could see the Man behind the curtain and kick his a-sssss

2. janesix profile image58
    janesixposted 9 years ago

I am precluded from answering according to your criteria, but I just wanted to say....yuck! This is a horribly awful discussion. topic.

I don't think God is that harsh.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

Well, if I found out that heaven and hell were real places and hell consisted of eternal torture....I'd be a bit of an idiot not to opt for jumping whatever hoops necessary in order to get into heaven. I'm assuming that is what you are asking because, quite frankly, I couldn't really follow your train of thought.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If God was willing to kill and torture me for my sincere beliefs up until the point he physically appeared before me, I guess I would believe in and yet really not like Him.

I find it most interesting in how religious persons would need to block out so much reason and logic , in order to prepare their whole on earth for an afterlife.

Maybe would gamble on being in the bountyful religion, since I worship women. But, Not a Monk, for Buddha may not believe in God

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)