jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (61 posts)

Divorce

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 2 years ago

The bible says that with divorce you cannot marry again.
    So, why do many Christians do it and think it's okay?

Luke 16:18
    “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:10-11

To the married I give this charge (not I, but the Lord): the wife should not separate from her husband (but if she does, she should remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband), and the husband should not divorce his wife.

1. janesix profile image61
      janesixposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Because many like to pick and choose which rules they prefer to follow. Or pretend to.

2. A Troubled Man profile image61
      A Troubled Manposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is the hypocrisy of religions, it's followers telling everyone else how to live, what to believe and how to behave, yet they themselves don't even follow their own preaching.

1. 0
        Motown2Chitownposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Strangely enough, that's even what Jesus had to say about it...lol

Divorce had been allowed because we had hardened our hearts.  It was never what God intended.

3. 0
      Emile Rposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Shame on you. I would think divorced believers had enough questions of guilt to deal with, without some random internet persona making jabs...with no knowledge of those she is attempting to bludgeon with a random Bible passage.

Mind your own problems. Each of us has a plate full which should keep us busy for a lifetime. And, remember, of you've never walked in someone else's shoes you have no idea whether they would fit, or not.

Anyway, you've mixed lessons in order to bludgeon. Jesus's point was more in line with showing that all legal actions which harm others emotionally are as sinful as actions deemed illegal at the time. He was showcasing how people hide behind the law in order to not take responsiblity for the damage they do to others.

Why?

Shouldn't Christians hold themselves to their own standards?

I personally think a couple should stay together long enough to raise children, and they are out of the house, regardless of their feelings about each other. As long as it's a safe environment for everyone. Families need to stay together.

1. 0

Then, you should do it. And stay out of other people's business. As I said....they aren't your shoes to walk in.

I've never been divorced. I know plenty of men I would divorce if I was unfortunate enough to have married them. I simply do not understand the philosophy behind being a nose nelly and thinking I know what is best for other people. I assume they know what is best for themselves.

This is a public forum, I'll say whatever I want within the rules.

1. 0

No one said you shouldn't. I'm simply saying minding one's own business is a lot more difficult than minding others. And minding one's own business is much more productive.

2. janesix profile image61

That's hypocritical of you, as you have an open opinion about every subject under the sun.

And I wasn't in anyone's business. I made a general statement.

1. 0

You might rethink your position and stop taking things so personally. I was responding to your general statement with a general statement.

You say I have an open opinion on everything under the sun. I suppose, it would please you to consider me close minded. I attempt to avoid such a stance because it puts me into a position to judge others when i don't have that right.

4. calculus-geometry profile image85
      calculus-geometryposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The simplest answer to your question is that many people call themselves Christian while holding very different beliefs from one another, and different denominations interpret the bible differently.  Christians are not a homogeneous group. Who's to say that one person is a "real" Christian and another is not based on their actions or beliefs?  Like any other broad religious category there are lots of subsets.  It doesn't make sense to ask nit-picky questions about Christians as a whole.  To this outsider, it seems that if you self-identify as a Christian, then you are one, end of story.

2. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 2 years ago

The translations and interpretations through the ages are what is flawed. If you start talking to divorced people, you'll find many perhaps divorced what you any other person may deem as "frivolous" reasons, but I dare you to interview 100 divorced couples and not find their stories compelling and justified, who have gone on to eventually live good lives with other spouses. If that's the case, then it's obviously the writing that's flawed.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

What does any of that have to do with biblical instructions/guidance?

1. Daniel Carter profile image91
        Daniel Carterposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Apparently my point was wasted by posting it. I'll bow out now.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The argument is not that divorce is not often sought for a good reason, it is that it is against the edicts of the Bible.

This is an issue of you do not consider the Bible to be "flawed", or more flawed than human understanding.

1. Daniel Carter profile image91
        Daniel Carterposted 2 years ago in reply to this

But apparently the *translation* and/or the *interpretation* in the Bible IS flawed, or it would work to benefit everyone. That is my point about the Bible. One cannot assume the Bible to be perfectly true when it condemns divorce for *any* reason. Hence, my two cents.

3. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 2 years ago

I think it's selfish and disruptive to break up a family because two parents don't like each other. I think it's better if they work to make peace for the sake of the children.

1. 0

And, you should do that... if you think it is best.

Just making a blanket, anthropological statement.

I'm not married, nor do I have children.

1. 0

You are joking? Right? You have no experience, yet feel compelled to judge. Hmmmm.

I'm not sure that I'm judging. My opinion is a societal point of view. Things go better when families stay together. Things turn to crap when there are broken families. Higher crime rates, issues of poverty, etc. All kinds of things.

Plus, I do have the experience of observation. Such as seeing one sister work things out with a husband she doesn't love, but they make the kids their priority and stick together. They are both relatively happy. The children have a great life. Another sister is the opposite, left two husbands, a few kids with drinking problems etc, shunted from one place to the next, multiple fathers, paternity issues, more expense because there are multiple rents to pay etc, instead of trying to work things out. Seen lots of families like this. It's sad.

1. 0

So, observing two couples makes you qualified to make sweeping judgments?

Seriously. I see no advantage to staying with an abusive spouse 'for the sake of the kids'. What do they learn? That it is OK to sleep around if it hurts your spouse? That it is OK to hit a spouse? That having two people miserably together is preferable to anything else?

I do think that people probably divorce more frequently than they should; but....I don't live in their houses and I don't bump around in their heads. I don't know what compels them so I can't say whether or not they had compelling reasons for divorce. I do know that there are far worse things than divorce. Women using kids as clubs in order to continue to punish their husbands for not being exactly what they wanted them to be. Men avoiding their kids because they hate the wife. And, a thousand other things. Mature people can divorce and still be responsible parents. Irresponsible people will be crappy parents whether they go it alone or include a village of idiots to help them raise them.

I said those were examples, not the only ones I've observed.

I also said earlier in a post that I think this is a good idea only when there weren't any safety (which obviously includes abuse) issues.

Please try to at least read what I wrote before accusing me of things I didn't say.

I'm not unintelligent, and I do have the right to an opinion even if I don't live with the issue described.

You probably have opinions on abortion. Have you ever had one? (Just want you to realize that you don't have to be in the middle of a problem to have a valid opinion on it.)

1. 0

No. I've never had an abortion.

The problem with opinions which imply that some things are preferable to others is that voicing them can hurt other people, by saying that one thing is better than another. They did, I'm sure, wrestle with decisions. They were, I'm sure, concerned with the downside of any choice they made.

By voicing an opinion that something is better doesn't imply that the opposite is worse. You are passing judgment. Whether you are honest enough to own up to it, or not. By not owning up to it, you put yourself in the position to dig that knife deeper into the emotional fragility of the person whose actions run at odds with your personal 'preferred' behavior patterns.

Worse, forcing people into behavior patterns and choices through emotional intimidation causes many to make decisions without going through the thought processes necessary to ensure they accept their decisions. Doing what others consider to be the right thing because others consider it to be the right thing is not the right reason to do anything.

I'm more concerned about the kids than the parents. And I have had experience...I've been a child, with parents. I respect people who are mature and think of their kids first.

I may be passing judgment, but so are you. You think it's OK to break up a family in order for one parent or the other to be "happier". I don't. I think the kids come first. I am more concerned with a child's emotional fragility that a grown adult's.

I didn't force anyone into anything, nor did I suggest that anyone force anyone into anything. I just want adults to act like adults.

working