So if following Christ...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 9 years ago

doesn't mean I'll be free from sickness and disease...
    If it doesn't mean I'll be free from the trials of this life...
    If it doesn't mean I'll have riches or be surrounded by friends...
    If it doesn't mean that I wont suffer pain or loss...

What is the point? Why should I give my life to Christ if it doesn't guarantee happiness?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wasting your life following Christ is what is causing you from not spending your time pursuing the things you want out of life, if those are the things you want.

As you've probably read many times here, non-believers spend much of their time learning about the world around us instead of following a deity, hence we have learned a great deal. But, that is something that many of us want out of life, to understand things.

Of course, no one is saying you must give up your faith, but instead, spend a lot less time pursuing it and thinking about it and more time on the things you want out of life.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 9 years agoin reply to this

So you believe it is ok to pursue Christ, just don't go "overboard"... Be well rounded.
        But you didn't really answer my question.

Yes, don't go overboard.

I would have suspected you should know the answer by now.

Giving your life to a fantasy/myth/superstition will not guarantee happiness unless one is completely loony. If you find yourself not finding happiness, then you aren't loony and are attempting to find sanity.

1. profile image0

If I am looking for a reason to follow Christ, I am thinking maybe an unbeliever isn't the person to go to to answer this question. I wonder if there is a Christian who might give me a solid reason to follow Christ. (Not that I didn't appreciate your attempt.)

You will unlikely get an honest answer from a Christian, especially about this.

But, let's see if they can prove me wrong.

Perhaps then, you are not looking for an answer, but instead, are looking for affirmations? In other words, you have no intention of not going overboard?

1. profile image0

I am wondering if every time you make a suggestion, like to "not go overboard", if you feel I will follow that suggestion? Did you feel when you made that suggestion that I was under any obligation?

I actually find your responses interesting, but what I am looking for is a reason(s) to follow Christ if there is no promise of a more comfortable life. Because you do not follow Christ, I would imagine your advice might be limited.

It is the advice of someone who doesn't follow any deities. Obviously, it is not limited.

A follower of one deity who knows very little about the world around them other than what is written in the Bible is the epitome of someone who is limited, and those are the responses you will get from other Christians.

1. profile image0

Well, I am glad to know you are so well rounded. So from your biblical knowledge, what would you say is a good reason then to follow Christ?

2. Titen-Sxull profile image70
      Titen-Sxullposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Let's also not forget that Jesus doesn't actually save anyone from the things he claims to, within the parameters of his own religion.

Hell - According to Christianity God sets up a set of moral laws in the Old Testament that human beings CANNOT follow perfectly so Jesus is sent in to provide a loophole by which they can be saved. However according to Revelation MOST human beings end up in Hell anyway, and of course this includes many Christians who fall back into sin.

Death - Of course Christians still die so Jesus never saves anyone from death

Sin - Of course Christians can still sin

Temptation - Of course Christians are still subject to temptation

Really the whole thing is an obvious scam. It creates a problem (sure would be a shame if something happened to this lovely immortal soul of yours) and then offers the solution (but my friend Jesus here can take care of it, for a price). The price, if the Bible is to be believed, is your SERVITUDE to Jesus, but don't worry folks his burden is easy and his yoke is light.

This God creates Hell, a pit of eternal torment. This God has moral standards that no human can live up to, even the "perfect" ones (Adam and Eve). This God does not understand that the Free Will he gives humans necessarily means they will disobey him by acting independently. He then damns his new creation for not being able to do the impossible. So now everyone is going to Hell because two people did what they inevitably were going to do anyway and disobeyed the being that gave them the ability to disobey and naively assumed they never would.

So for a solution he sends a copy of himself in human form to die in a grotesque human sacrifice in order to set up a scapegoat whereby his own version of "justice" (which remember involved damning EVERYONE for ETERNITY) can be avoided by the select few dumb enough to believe an ancient story about a guy with magic powers.

1. bBerean profile image59
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So in answer to the OP's question, "Why should I give my life to Christ if it doesn't guarantee happiness?" can we put you down as not having an answer?  Your opinion is she shouldn't, so you have no answer as to why she should?

1. Titen-Sxull profile image70
          Titen-Sxullposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My opinion is that one cannot give their life to Christ at all, its a nonsensical phrase unless you enjoy servitude to a fictional unjust God.

1. profile image0

I hope one day you will know the real God so many of us know and not the false god you have accepted stories about.

Preaches the pot to the kettle. lol

2. Link10103 profile image61
              Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Those stories...came from the bible

3. kess profile image62
      kessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Following Christ means putting aside all desires except the desire to follow Christ.
      And in the putting aside of these desires for the Christ, in the Christ ALL desires are fulfilled.

So quite frankly your question as posed, is incapable of receiving a meaningful answer that is purposeful.
      It is so because it represents a mixed up version of Christ, which ultimately can only to be determined as false.

That's because the question posed was never meant to be answered, but instead, a prelude to circumnavigate the rules here in order to evangelize.

1. profile image0

I was not aware of such a rule. Would you mind posting that for me to read?

Forums are about discussion, not evangelizing. This thread is not about discussion, it is entirely about you evangelizing your god.

1. profile image0

So were roles reversed right now, I'm quite sure you would say I was dishonest.
              You said the rules here proclaimed no evangelizing. I was not aware of such a rule.
              If there is one, I would like to know about it... if there is not, then you made that up to suit your needs. I would say that is highly dishonest. Is that a rule or is it your opinion?

Evangelism, which is what you're doing, is the preaching of the gospel in order to convert. This is not discussion. Do you understand?

1. profile image0

Show me the rule, as you stated existed, that says we may not share our faiths. If you cannot, then let's consider this matter closed.

4. Chris Remmie profile image67
      Chris Remmieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Beth,
      We follow Christ because He is the one, absolute Truth. He is God incarnate. We love Him and praise Him because He is worthy of all honor and glory. Why? Because He is the author and sustainer of life and all things. As one song that I love states, "He gives us breath to breathe and the chest to breathe it, so you can taste and see He's the best, believe it."
      The greatest thing He offers is eternal life, salvation, which is far from what we deserve. Even if we suffer in this life, it doesn't compare to what is expected in the next life after death (on both sides of the fence); the faithful to Christ will go on to eternal life as His children in His Kingdom, but those who have gone through this life without giving their lives to Him will go on to eternal punishment. I realize this doesn't sound right or just, but I recently wrote a hub on this very issue and I gave a good defense for it. I urge you to check it out and think over what I wrote. I hope this helps and I sincerely hope you read my hub.

<link snipped>

1. profile image0

It is like cool water, isn't it? Like a fresh breeze... I enjoyed reading your post very much. I will read your hub too, God willing.

5. bBerean profile image59
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Beth,

I appreciate the nuance of your phraseology.  First, let's consider what you didn't say.

You didn't say "dedicate your life to" or “follow”, neither of which require personal interaction or a relationship.  Anyone can dedicate their life to, or follow any cause, idea or pursuit, for any reason.  You can follow a news story, an ideology or a sports team and it is in this same manner that many “follow” Jesus.  One need only select from the menu the world has constructed bearing an impressive spectrum of concepts regarding who Jesus was or is, and then follow the one that most pleases them.  Undaunted in the event nothing on the main menu strikes their fancy, they can instead order a-la-carte to construct the Jesus that suits them.  All that is left is to “follow” him, and most that do will of course then call themselves Christians, while the rest of the world looks on in confusion at the contradictory perspectives now abiding beneath that umbrella. 

Frequently predicated on expectations of temporal rewards, be it health, wealth or fame, many are soon disappointed or disillusioned when the expected prize is not realized.  Either they bitterly distance themselves from “Christianity”, freshly inoculated from the true gospel since they believe they have “been there, done that”, or they revisit the menu in search of a new meal.  One can’t always find a way to soothe their itching ears on the first try.

What you did say was “give.”  Two components are required for something to qualify as a gift.  First, a true gift is given without expectation of reciprocation; otherwise it is a barter or payment.  I have frequently heard people give “testimonies” in which they purport to have struck a “deal” with God.  They’ll do “this” and expect God to then do “that”.  Not surprisingly, like a marriage entered with a “what’s in it for me” orientation, it is only a matter of time before it fails and results in yet another “used to be” Christian.

Second, a gift must be received for the transaction to be complete so there must be someone to do the receiving.  Such a precious gift would not be given lightly, so indeed, why would you give your life to Christ?  On their own accord, nobody would or could truly do so.  If someone's relationship with God began with their giving, they may want to re-evaluate, as this brings us back to the barter scenario above. 

A relationship with God begins with His gift to you, but as mentioned, the transaction is not complete until the gift is accepted.  Only when we understand we have a Creator we are accountable to, but that we have fallen short of His standard and are in need of reconciliation, will we be open to accepting that gift.  Jesus paid the debt of everyone, but doesn’t force anyone to accept that gift.  Not doing so leaves one accountable for a debt they cannot pay, but does so by their choice.

Genuinely accepting the gift of eternal salvation is accompanied by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which makes possible the spiritual discernment and understanding necessary to even begin to comprehend our purpose, origin or destiny.  It is at this point that a person could sincerely and without reservation “give their life” to Christ.  Why do it?  It is the obvious progression in a relationship where you are delighted to, by choice, be under the Lordship of Jesus.

1. profile image0

"the obvious progression"... yes. Like an engagement between two young loves. An agreement to meet. A promise, "Someday I will be with you. I will wait for you." It is such a romance. He calls us to be faithful. It can be so difficult when the enemy's desire is to rip apart. But God says what He has put together, no man will pull asunder. Indeed, it's such a romance.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpu6mr0TJL1qhub34o1_400.gif

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definitely in agreement on that one.

1. profile image0

You might not be familiar with Christ being compared to a groom and his ppl being compared to his bride. This is common knowledge in a biblical community. There is a book called The Sacred Romance, which I have heard amazing things about, but have not yet read. http://www.amazon.com/The-Sacred-Romanc … 0785273425

I just ordered it from Amazon... thanks for the reminder. smile

1. profile image0

I don't want to read about the sacred romance. Thanks. I thought you guys were labeled the body of Christ. That one I can deal with. It's kind of like that country song where the guy says something about dancing for Jesus. The thought of that is really, really creepy. I expect a meeting of the minds, not gyrations in an attempt to endear myself to someone.

1. profile image0

Im a little confused. I didn't expect you were going to read that book, you simply didn't seem to understand the comparison of a love between a God and His ppl and a sacred romance. I was just explaining.

1. profile image0

Oh. Sorry. I thought you were suggesting I read it and I was attempting to divert the thought away from something that makes my stomach queasy.

I'm curious. Looking at Christ in a romantic manner; doesn't that negate the glory of a Creator?

6. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not sure on part A = following Christ. Part B about happiness there is a great book sharing about it published worldwide in 30 countries and 22 languages. It is called The Happiness Trap. It has of least given myself a totally new perspective on 'happiness' and what it means especially with today's world. It stems from 'Mindfulness' and Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT).

Sometimes one part leads to another part and a lighted path is shown. I dun'no always, yet I find resolve with Part A more today with Part B explained in a different light than how we are socialized to think. Then one may ponder the grand scheme of things with the varied background providing for Part A.

1. profile image0

Sounds like an interesting book. I hadn't heard of it, but it sounds somewhat beneficial. Very positive stuff I would imagine.

7. MoneyMatters profile image60
      MoneyMattersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can think of only one reason to follow Christ.
      Because He died for me.
      He cleanses from sin, and offers peace with God.
      That is his gift to me. I don't earn it. I didn't ask for it.
      He cleansed my sin through His death, he paid my fine.
      So I will live for Him.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Close, but not quite there yet. 

Because someone told you He died for you.
        Because someone told you He cleanses from sin, as defined by that somebody, and told you He offers peace with God.
        Because somebody told you that is His gift, as they ask for donations.
        Because somebody told you you are now sinless and told you it was because He paid the price of that state.

So you will live for Him, because somebody told you all these things without ever offering any proof or evidence they are true.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Not really, Jesus had no choice in the matter, He was convicted of crimes of the Roman State and crucified as a sentence, just like many, many other criminals of the time.

2. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 9 years ago

Following Christ allows you to undergo experiences in life you would have gone through, anyway, but the difference is that you now have Jesus at your side to give you hope and to pray for divine intercession. The smallest things can be achieved through faith and prayer.You have hope that things can get better because prayers move the hands of God.

Also, sometimes our thoughts are filled with all sorts of negative thoughts, but if we fill our thoughts with Jesus and keep our eyes on Jesus we get a perspective of life about what really matters and what the true riches of life are.

The Bible also says that if we receive Jesus in our lives, we go to heaven. In general, I find that nothing we experience in life, good or bad, ever goes to waste but always serves a purpose. Rom. 8:28 says that all things work for the good of those who love God and fit in his plans. And while this life isn't perfect, there is the assurance that our future will be.

1. profile image0

So in addition to a friend who sticks closer than a brother, we have the assurance of eternal life...

This is the answer I was looking for. Thank you GOL. You are grand, as always!

Ah, so you weren't really looking for any answers. Just an affirmation. roll

1. profile image0

Words that soothe my soul.

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Follow because it makes you feel right. If anything in life doesn't make you feel right when you do it, then it isn't worth doing!

1. profile image0

Thanks for sharing that. smile

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 9 years ago

I've got to agree with kess here. So many Christians claim to follow Christ, yet when we look solely to the example of Christ the claim becomes confusing and your question becomes impossible to answer. I don't notice anything in the story of Christ which shows him free of any of those trials. He simply found a way to assign meaning and value.

Those who seek personal gain, riches and glory may have missed the point.

1. profile image0

Which was my point. Following Christ does not promise any of those things. If you look at the disciples, they did not gain financially, nor were they free from suffering. Some were tortured for their faith. We do not follow Christ with the hopes of an easier life, we follow Him because we are devoted, because He is worthy of our allegiance. What we are promised though, is what was stated, a friend who sticks closer than a brother, a savior. All men are promised eternity, Jesus promises life to those who follow him.

1. profile image0

Still, that is hope for personal gain. What did Christ gain, personally, by his actions? Was he  motivated by desire for personal gain? To me, the story is about giving. Till it hurts. Literally. To follow because of hope for gain is not walking in his his footsteps. It's hanging on the coat tails. In my opinion, of course.

1. profile image0

Did you witness this in your mom's life?

1. profile image0

I have no idea what you are driving at with that question.

1. profile image0

Im not really driving at anything. I just wondered if you had witnessed your mom's faith at this level. I know at times in my life, I knew that I would follow Christ even if there were no promise of Heaven. That nothing on earth tempted me, just knowing God was my greatest reward. He is truly so beautiful that falling in love with Him is easy. It's only when the things of this earth come in and choke out our clear vision, that we begin to falter. Hearing you speak reminded me of the verse in Job, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him..." and I wondered if maybe you had seen your mother live that kind of walk.

Ah yes, the motive of this thread is revealed, another opportunity to evangelize. Quite dishonest.

1. profile image0

You were unaware of my affiliation with God? You did not know I was a Christian? I am sorry you were not able to understand, but my motives have never been hidden. God help me, any thread I start, having to do with religion, will always find me on the side of "fervent follower" if that helps you in the future.

Yes, I am quite aware, but I thought when I read the OP that you were actually being honest and wanting to hear answers. You proved me quite wrong about that.

Yes, I understand that now and will not make the same mistake of taking you seriously or honestly again.

Thanks for that confirmation of this thread being created in dishonesty. smile

1. profile image0

If you would like to avoid any threads I start, as I do most all of the ones you start, that might help you avoid anything that makes you uncomfortable.

Like dishonesty and evangelizing?

Had the thread, from the get go, been about evangelizing, I would take no interest, but since the OP appeared to ask an honest question, I offered an answer. But, now that we know the thread was created under false pretenses, it's too late for that.

5. EncephaloiDead profile image54
    EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years ago

"Forums are primarily focused on discussion between many different people.

1. profile image0

I'm pretty sure you have reached way too far on this one. Nice try. If you are all through on this thread, do you think you could take your leave now?

Evangelize: to try to convert (a group or area) to a different religion (especially Christianity).

Discussion: : the act of talking about something with another person or a group of people : a conversation about something.

So, you consider these definitions synonymous? They are identical as far as you're concerned?

1. profile image0

I have discussed my love of Jesus with you. Are you moved to convert? Yes? Lovely. No? I had not expected you to. You must realize that there are Believers on this forum, that, as members of this forum, would like to talk to others about the things that interest them most. I do not sew much to speak of. I cook, but I seldom have need to discuss it. I'm not into cats... but I really love Jesus. I am coming from a dark place that I lived in for a number of years. I draw strength from good discussion as someone who is trying to stay off of drugs or improve their health would, from a few supporters. It is harder to have positive discussions when you attempt to sabotage every thread I start, but I have learned that is part of the whole experience on the HP's forum and not much can be done about it. So again, if you are not interested in this subject, other than to attack it... maybe there is a thread you would enjoy more?

No, you preach the gospel, you evangelize your faith.

Evangelizing to other believers makes no sense, they are already Christians. Or, are you trying to convert Muslims to Christianity?

So, you have personal problems, what does that have to do with preaching the gospel here?

But, you have confirmed already this thread is not about discussion, it is about evangelizing, and I did nothing to sabotage it, but instead, offered an answer and you know that for a fact.

2. profile image0
            SirDentposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is ED stalking you? 

What really bothers me is that like-minded people are not allowed to discuss things without others chiming in simply because it is their right to do so.  it doesn't matter if they are being rude, calling names, attacking or whatever, it is their right to do it and they are going to do it no matter what.

Now to answer your OP.  We follow Christ because he is the Way, the truth, and the life.  There is no other way nor is there any other name under Heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved.  Jesus Himself said, "Many shall come in my name and will deceive many. "  He also spoke of the anti-christ spirit which is already in the world. We see it on a daily basis.

Without holiness, no one shall see God.  Jesus is the holiness we put on.

1. profile image0

I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or just stop posting.
              He is indeed, The Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father, but by the son.

No one is stalking anyone, SirDent.

In other words, you want your rights but don't want to others to have the same rights.

And, what names and what attacks have people made on you, SirDent?

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 9 years ago

I love Jimmy. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)